Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Lurker coming out of the woodwork  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Lurker coming out of the woodwork
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »
Hello, everyone.
I've been lurking on the forum for probably 2 years and posting occasionally, but thought it would be courteous to other EK members to introduce myself properly.
Husband and I first came to Kalkan - we booked a week purely by chance - in 1997 and have been coming at least once a year ever since.
In 2003 we decided we wanted to buy a property here. We bought in the old town: a derelict house which was really no more than a heap of stones. This was renovated for us over the winter 2003/4, under the supervision of Uluc Bilgutay, of Korsan fame. The property was the Turkish equivalent of a listed building, so the original external appearance had to be re-created (not that we'd have wanted things any other way), with wooden balconies etc, to the approval of the Heritage Commission in Antalya. Inside it is plain - lots of stone and marble and specially handmade furniture. We love it and love being in the old town.
We are both retired (early in my case). I am qualified as a solicitor, but spent 30 years in local government in the UK, the last 15 or so as a departmental director, running a department of over 100 people. Don't miss work at all! Husband was a bio-medical scientist. He has a Cambridge PhD and thus appears on his credit card as Dr, so most of the waiters in Kalkan refer to him as "doktor" and think he will be able to advise them on their various ailments. My greatest challenge is trying to figure out the Turkish language. I find it fascinating and have bought various Teach Yourself and grammar books. But progress is limited!!
Home in the UK is in East Anglia.
We usually come out to Kalkan twice a year, for 5-6 weeks each time, once in spring and once in autumn (I can't take heat, so summer is a no-no).
Due out in a week's time for 5 weeks.....
I think EK (and KTLN) is brilliant and a good source of "dedikodu" during the periods in between our visits.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4357.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Lurker coming out of the woodwork
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »
Your house sounds lovely..just the type of thing i like.....are you anywhere near the house with the cat things on the front?...Mrs lizard and i call it "cat cottage" ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »
House sounds like my cup of tea also!

I too live in East Anglia, Kings Lynn in fact.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 01:43:34 PM »
Mags your place sounds lovely and I'm I hope you enjoy your time there. I'm also looking for a property out there but unfortunately I have to have the usual extras much as would like a place as yours. 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »
Hello Mags
thanks for introducing yourselves. Is your house featured on the Korsan website as an example of their work? If so it looks fabulous  ;)
Your life now sounds pretty much my ideal scenario - I couldn't imagine living in Kalkan full time as I'd miss the three "F's" too much - family, friends and football ;D ;D
We are out in just over three weeks...well 24 sleeps, can't wait. Sadly, only for 12 days though :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »
Yes, Kalkan4eva, ours is the one on Korsan's website, featured as an example of a restoration project..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Who else does not like coming home?

Started by Lougie on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 01:18:13 PM
by Mrs B
question
Coming to Kalkan

Started by voyger on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 02:16:40 PM
by johnl
xx
We're coming back!

Started by Baggy on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 10:31:46 PM
by Reygirl
xx
Is M & S coming to Fethiye

Started by kevincat99 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 11:23:59 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

early morning 2

Views: 3187
By: andy4116
Kalkan 1996