Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Food shopping  (Read 4351 times)

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Food shopping
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:14:23 PM »
Off to Kalkan next week, stayed for a week last year so we ate out in the evenings, as we''re going for two weeks this year thought it would be nice to stay at the villa some evenings and do some b-b-q''s [or should I say cremations if the other half cooks!]  Last year bought general bits and pieces in Tesko and the other supermarkets but didn''t really explore any of the other food shops, just wondering where the best place would be to buy decent meats, maybe a small butchers and the best places for a good selection of fresh breads and good old smelly cheeses. I know of the market in Kalkan for fruit and veg, are there any other good markets in other resorts that are not too far to drive to where we can have a good old browse? My husband wants to know where''s the cheapest place to buy Efes or are all the shops much about the same, he''s hooked on the stuff since last year so he''s been popping in our local Witherspoons just to have a reminder, luckily enough they''ve had it on special! Not the same drinking it without the sun on you but you can always daydream.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3594.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Food shopping
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:45:26 PM »
Ha Ha ..i go to wetherspoons to..it''s(efes) on price hold till sept...Supermarkets are much the same for Efes ,someone said BBq is 3.5tl this year which is good for a bar/restaurant....The market is the place for smelly cheese(thursday).Kas is friday but the same just moved along,Fethiye is the biggest (tue)again the same just bigger..as for buthchers we use Bulent top of village just ask locals as there are 2 butchers close by one better than the other ;) ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »
Clara, there are a few fruit and veg stalls in the little daily market down by the taxi rank - you can also buy fish there. The butchers by Tesko/Samira is best - think that''s Bulent - in our opinion, however if you are going further afield in a car whay not stock up on things like wine and Efes in the bigger supermarkets like Migros and Carefour - where it works out cheaper. The supermarkets in Kalkan are pretty much the same - Yali probably has the biggest selection. As as Ek member we will be able to get discount in Adda supermarket - not on alcohol though. Just hoping the vouchers will be available before we go in 3 weeks - any chance Jon?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:08:45 PM »
Thanks Blue Lizard, better not tell my other half Wetherspoons price goes up in Sept he''ll be well gutted, they had run out the last time we called in so he had to settle for San Miguel, not happy!  >:(

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:11:19 PM »
Cheers for the info, Kalkan4Eva very helpful.

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »
Hi
I agree there are two butchers very near each other in Kalkan, however some would simply say that one is more expensive than the other, and not one is better than the other ;).
I shop at the cheaper of the two, and find the quality very good. But then I usually only buy the meat for my ''other half'', so what do I know ;D
Em
Em

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
i say it''s better because the meat is leaner,cheaper and he cuts the steak thicker...so as a thick steak lover it''s better? ;D ;)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:59:23 PM »
How much is a big thick steak from Bulent,Mr Lizard,the apt we are staying at in aug has a bbq,so a few steaks might be getting a good seeing to.  ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
half the price of the other one who seems to make it up as he goes along..he asks how thick you want it and you show him..then cuts it thinner!..but charges more than Asda!! must stop wearing the t shirt that says "mug"..Bulent always shows you what hes cut and is reasonable..most of my ex pat chums go to him for the same reason.(but they shop generally in fethiye) ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:46:32 PM by blue lizard »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
We''ve bought chicken and lamb from him, which was excellent quality and a good price - might try him for fillet this year. We''ve always bought our fillet from the butcher''s counter at either of the big supermarkets in Fethiye - it costs about half of what we would pay back in UK ;D

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
Can''t see why you want to eat in with all those lovely restaurant''s there  >:D

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 05:50:32 PM »
Coz it gets expensive Misty...????   :o :o
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
Cant see that deduct what you pay for your food to eat at home and the cost is minimal......  :angel: :angel:

Anyway I want my OH to have restful.... holiday and not slave over a hot cooker !!! She would have no pans to use coz if I suggested it they would be bent over my head  ??? ???

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
you could always join the 21 st century and cook her a nice meal!! >:D >:D

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great business opportunity the cooks from the restaurants come to your villa/apartment and cook in for you just think a meal by the pool !!! We do this at home with a Chinese guy he turns up provides everything food plates waiters etc etc fantastic food keeps coming out of the kitchen all night  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »
Hi
I agree with Blue Lizard, cook a meal for the family Misty! Don''t be a lazy chap!
Em

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 06:18:36 PM »
I would willingly..but just don''t see the point when you are spoilt for choice  :laugh: Bit like going to the Alps and not go skiing just not right  >:D

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »
Yep - you can do that at our villa misty - they turn up with the food and cook it for you - some guests of ours last year loved it..!!

its all very well eating out each night - but if you have a large family or even just 2 of you - you can go over budget and sometimes just sitting on your balcony with your bbq and a bottle and just staying put is just so nice too!  :D

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 06:29:44 PM »
Doh my business plan has been scuppered  :-[ So which restaurant offers this service.... please say Ibos  :laugh: :laugh:

I''ve only ever looked at the BBQ by the pool and thought its way to hot to stand over that and cook !!! I agree at the end of the evening a nice brandy and cigar on the terrace to round the day off...pondering which restaurant to eat in tomorrow  :angel: :angel:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:32:45 PM by misty »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »
Lazy night in after baking on Patara beach all day! if you don''t want to cook you can get delivery from Oz adana,cati,foto yeni,to name but a few...couple of bottles of wine,a nice swim,and if your up for it a late one in one of the local hostelries.... ;) ;)

ps tap in  www.kalkanconcierge.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Food shopping!

Started by bex on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

20 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 10:18:09 AM
by DRBD
xx
New to Kalkan, food shopping help please.

Started by Daylisa on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 03:37:53 PM
by zola
recycled
Food shopping en route from Dalaman airport late evening

Started by jstjdsunshine on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 03:56:41 PM
by Eljhem
recycled
Food shopping en route from Dalaman airport late evening (Read 641 times)

Started by EricAlexander on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 03:21:08 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal