Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: If only there was...........  (Read 12255 times)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: If only there was...........
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 10:43:09 AM »
Dry cleaners with an ironing service would be nice  :laugh:

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 11:43:45 AM »
Blackpool- try the cheese stall at the market, he has a full range of fresh cheese, even one he calls cheddar.....not sure about that one as have''''t tried it.

Thanks Mecimek. Will try him a week on Thursday. It''ll make a change from the usual Feta! :)

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2009, 12:48:01 PM »
the "turkish cheddar", other wise known as izmir tulum or bergama, comes in 2 types so make sure you ask for the soft one. it melts really well, ideal for cheese on toast, cheese sauces etc.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »
I''m with Joan...a dolmus service, like practically every other tourist destination in Turkey.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 10:49:06 PM »
Ok I agree it was a bit flippant to have copied mericmek''s post in its entirety - I would never begrudge Kalkan a secondry school and hospital. I''m sorry if my post ''disgusted'' anyone.

The point I was trying to make is that some of the people that now live in Kalkan permenantly or spend lots of time in the resort seem to want to introduce many of the things they took for granted in the UK because they now miss them, i.e bowling alley, shopping centre ect.  For those of us that only spend a week or so in Kalkan on holiday, we want to get away from all those things, because frankly we''re sick of the sight of them, otherwise we''d go to Bodrum or Marmaris.

I''m all for Kalkan prospering but if it means the whole reason most of us love visiting the place gets lost then so will we.

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »
Jayne, dont forget the Turkish population of Kalkan may wish to embrace a bit more of the modern world too. Sitting in smoky cafes playing cards isnt for everyone.
I would highly recommend a trip to Bodrum, we were there last month and there was not one English voice to be heard for a week. Bodrum gets a bad press, to me its like living in the country but has all the advantages of the city when it comes to ammenties. As long as you avoid one or two tourist hot spots on the penninsula you may be pleasantly surprised. Kalkan could certainly learn alot from the example Bodrum sets.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 12:08:18 PM »
Here''s a suggestion, why don''t we leave it up to the local Turkish Kalkan people, after all it is their town and not ours, I know I get annoyed when "foreigners" try to change my country or town where I live so I certainly wouldn''t do it in another country!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »
I agree with you on this Jayne,but I wouldnt mind a bit of live music,and from what I understand the music
isnt just going to be rock,its going to be all sorts.

Neil. ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 01:45:04 PM »
I agree with Lougie.  What rights do we have to complain about what happens to the development of a town that the majority of us spend a few weeks staying in - or if we''re very lucky own a property there.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 02:08:14 PM »
I don''t think the Turkish locals have any say at all, more a minority of wealthy developers. I have nothing against progress up to a point but if all you end up with is a mini version of Marmaris in Kalkan why would anyone bother to take the long transfer and extra expense to go to there?

Kalkankiki, I didn''t mean to imply there was anything wrong with Bodrum, or Marmaris for that matter, just that I prefer the charm of a smaller, quieter resort without feeling I''m in Milton Keynes! We are actually going to Bodrum in May to a wedding, and staying at a hotel by the harbour, overlooking the castle. I''ve heard it''s a great resort.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »
Hiya Turkeyfan,I dont think most people are complaining,just stating a opinion to things that could change
what they like about Kalkan,I know for myself if a "go kart track" is going to be started in Kalkan,I wont be
spending my time and money there anymore,because it would spoil the thing I like about the place,during the day it peaceful and I can relax,thats my opinion.

Neil.

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:06 AM »
Jayne,

I would like to add having access to the things mentioned is not to make it like the UK, our nearest cinemas at present are Antalya or Fethiye, quite a long (and costly journey) if you wanted to see a film, be it Turkish or English language.
When I have lived in other areas of Turkey within a short drive you could go to breakfast restaurants, frequented by Turkish families, serving traditional Turkish breakfasts.
Again when visiting Turkish friends in Antalya it has been a nice afternoon spent at a bowling alley, I am sure many of the residents of Kalkan would enjoy a variation of winter activities by maybe having a small bowling alley.
It would be nice to have a Migros nearer than Fethiye, but I agree not essential.
With regards to the Hospital, I have had to accompany guests to Fethiye and Antalya for treatment, this could have a fatal effect on treatment due to time.
Kalkankiki has covered the matter of the school.
I personally don''t personally require or agree with some of the other things mentioned, but I not ''dis'' them as I can understand needs of a holidaymaker may be different of a resident.
I too have recently visited Bodrum and have lived near to Marmaris, they both have alot to offer including a variety of nationalities and in some parts more of a Turkish feel.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2009, 01:37:17 PM »
The thing is Kalkan is only a small village, you can''t really expect things like bowling alleys & cinemas, can you? I think Kalkan would certainly loose it''s charm & can''t see it being that popular, only with SOME of the British that live there, I can''t see many of the local Kalkan people using it in the winter, In my opinion & it''s just my opinion it''s not something I would like or do there?

Also, in small villages in the UK there is no hospitals or high schools, people have to travel to the larger cities, I know not ideal but just making a point!

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
Most of us who live in Kalkan do so because we like it the way it is, or was. We do not want the things Jayne seems to think we want, certainly not bowling alleys or cinemas. If we want to watch a movie we hire or download a DVD. Why come to a sunshine paradise to fester in a sweaty bowling alley? I''m retired now but can''t find enough time to do all the things that are available to me here.

There''s a Migros in Kas.

Turkish, as well as full English breakfasts are available all year round at inexpensive Kalkan cafe/restaurants.

It''s a pity local children have to travel so far, and families be uprooted, to further their education but this is a national problem - if Turkey spent as much on school books as it does on National flags and election propaganda, I reckon the problem could be largely resolved without recourse to local charities as promoted on this forum.

God forbid Kalkan takes the lead from Bodrum - if you like Bodrum, GO TO BODRUM.

A hospital would be nice, but totally impractical. I pay a lot of money for private health insurance which includes air ambulance fees: I would like to see a helicopter air ambulance facility based locally. I''m sure some enterprising ex Turkish Air Force pilots could do very well introducing an ad hoc charter/air ambulance service - if it wasn''t so difficult for foreigners to work here I might have done it myself.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
Lougie

Absolutely spot on.  IT''S A VILLAGE WITH A SIGN THAT CLAIMS 7000 INHABITANTS(ISH).  Why would you expect any of these facilities, as welcome as some might be, in a village with as many people in it as a League One football stadium?

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Think its actually 2000 inhabitants - but then Uzunlu next to Islamlar actually has a sports stadium and its a tiny place

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »
Could anyone name me a village (or even small town) in the UK that has 6 banks, approx 70 restaurants and who knows how many villas to rent? I think the idea of Kalkan being a small village was long ago forgotten.

lolly

lolly
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
me there 12 months of the year lol

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2009, 06:21:31 PM »
Mercimek

Padstow in Cornwall and Southwold in Suffolk spring to mind, where I''m sure the locals could live without organic delis and michelin star restaurants and would prefer the convenience of a Tesco and KFC. However, most realise their jobs and livlihood rely on pleasing the tourists and second home owners and are prepared to put up with it.

Jayne

Offline Carrie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2009, 07:47:51 PM »
if Turkey spent as much on school books as it does on National flags and election propaganda, I reckon the problem could be largely resolved without recourse to local charities as promoted on this forum.

very true..too much money is spent on things that are not important like the election flags and posters etc....however I just wanted to point out that in the public schools books are provided free from the government..however in some private schools ..yes parents have to fork out a lot more money for school books..but this is their choice to send to private schools.

But every child that attends a government school in Turkey from grades 1-12 are provide with free school books..the government could spend their money more wisely in building MORE schools and providing more teachers for classrooms..there are many students ( in the east of turkey ) without teachers..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Front pool at Korsan

Views: 4439
By: Chucky
70''''s night at Kleo