Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Would anyone like to see a "proper" live music venue in Kalkan?  (Read 12040 times)

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Would anyone like to see a "proper" live music venue in Kalkan?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 10:22:50 AM »
I''d love to see a live music venue in Kalkan. Blues, Jazz, rock well anything really. Like earlier posts there must be some local musicians out there that would love to play. Maybe set up a few jam sessions where locals can play with some of you guys.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »
We''d rather not have a music venue if there is any chance of noise polution. One of the reasons we love Kalkan is because it is reasonably quiet at night when we sit on the terrace after we have been out for dinner (although depending on the wind diredtion the music from outdoor Turkish nights can be heard but it does stop at a reasonable time). We''d hate to be forced to listen to music we might not choose to pay to hear. Wherever the venue is placed it will disturb someone unless the soundproofing is very good.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 12:39:12 PM »
I''ve thought about this, and I probably wouldn''t want a live music venue in Kalkan. I don''t think it can add anything to the charm of this lovely location and might possibly even detract from it. I know we appear to be in the minority on this thread, but I''d be in the No Lobby for this one.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »
I''m in the ''NO'' lobby also, I love the peace & quiet when sitting on the balcony. And when one venue starts, then what''s to stop another one latching on to the idea?

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 01:09:43 PM »
I like the Idea,but,only if its done right,indoors with good sound proofing ect,and nothing from the venue
should detract from the peace at night.
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
Sorry, can''t be persuaded, even by soundproofing...at some point people open doors and the noise spills out. And Sally''s right, other bar owners/hoteliers/entrepeneurs will think they''re missing out so may look to do the same. It saddens me if this is no longer just an idea and is actually work in progress  :(

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
Live music = loud music = Its a slipery slope, once the cat is out of the bag there is no stopping it, Kalkan will / may never be the same ???, but hey, what ever stays the same ?  ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »
Interesting comments from everyone and every opnion is appreciated and respected.

I would just like to confirm that it is not, at this stage ''work in progress'' - it is merely an idea that has been aired to see what the response would be.  In that sense, it is exactly what I anticipated.... roughly 50/50 for and against.

Ok, let''s ask another couple of questions.... for those who are worried about the potential disruption due to noise... do you find the music from the Moonlight Bar to be obtrusive?  If so, have you ever complained about the noise?

Lastly... if the venue went ahead (I stress that''s a big ''IF'') what would be an acceptable closing time?

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 04:02:32 PM »
I have often dreamt of the “Who” playing live at the Roman Theatre Patara with:- Lucius Annaeus Seneca  as the warm up act. ;D

Regards: Buster

My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 04:19:23 PM »
Yes - I do find the music in the Moonlight bar very loud - so loud sometimes that you have to get very friendly with your drinking companions to the point of nibbling their ears to get heard - and that is when sitting outside in the road falling down the hill...!!   ;D ;D

However it doesnt bother me unduly coz you cant hear it out of town and even in the Sofra - the music didnt really bother me...

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »
my ears are quite nibbled and frayed...maybe iv''''''''e spent to much time in the moonlight!! :angel:
there was a time when they used to slide the glass door across to keep noise levels down .they don''''t seem to do this anymore or didn''''t last time i was out........slightly different ..anyone remember the naff projection light onto the mountainside with "no name "  on it?....i thought that was pants!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 04:55:22 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »
Personally I would be against it, I like to sit on our terrace in reasonable peace, would not appreciate the thud,thud of underlying bass, and the thought of 60''s or 70''s nights would fill me with horror! Each to his own I suppose but I think this could detract from some of Kalkans ambience.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »
Personally I would be against it, I like to sit on our terrace in reasonable peace, would not appreciate the thud,thud of underlying bass, and the thought of 60''''s or 70''''s nights would fill me with horror! Each to his own I suppose but I think this could detract from some of Kalkans ambience.
msr
We''re not talking about a moonlight scenario here. The noise from there can be heard from our place a good 5-10 minute walk up the hill. The sort of music being discussed on here doesn''t have that boom, boom sound. The venue being discussed, (if I''m not mistaken, is a few steps away from where we have our place) won''t bother us at all. Don''t forget it won''t be every night. :)

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 06:24:49 PM »
We had a very nice meal spoilt at the Coast restaurant last year by live music blaring out from the Gironda. The guys at the Coast were not very happy either.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 06:55:59 PM »
Actually, Martyn I was referring to the Feds e-mail that says work is "well under way" which indicates to me that this is no longer just an idea. Perhaps you can expand on that Feds?
In answer to your question about Moonlight Bar, yes, I find Moonlight can be noisey at times, but the sound of chatting is usually equal, if not louder than the noise from their DJ. If you go to Moonlight in the afternoon, or early evening it''s a different place. I''ve never complained about the noise because it doesn''t bother me, but live music is a different sound to people chatting with background music, and the sound does reverberate in a different way. My main objection however is that I don''t think it will add anything to the charm of Kalkan, and if others decide to follow suit, will definitely detract from what we have there now. Sound-proofing was mentioned very early on in this discussion, so automatically people (me included) think aaaarrrggghhh loud music...that''s human nature ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 07:04:25 PM »
it''s a difficult one. I enjoy listening to music BUT detest when it''s so loud that I can''t hear myself think. The music coming from, I think, The Yali bar,  last year was verging on the ridiculous. Several lovely meals were interrupted by the constant blare of music emanating from there. If it could be guaranteed to only be heard by those in close proximity then yes it may be a good idea, but would hate to have my peace destroyed by unwanted din. I value peace and tranquility and would hate to find Kalkan turn itself into a "boom boom" town

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 07:35:32 PM »
looks like the guys from coast were so annoyed with the noise from Gironda they took it over!! ;D ;D

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 09:46:25 PM »
If the location given by Brooksie is correct then it is certainly far too close to my apartment and I would be dead against it, as I think the other apartment owners in our development would be. I am pretty sure that the music''s soundproofing won''t stop it reaching our apartment, as someone said earlier, doors opening, etc. Not everyone who visits our apartment is a night owl so even if it finshes at midnight then that means they may not be able to sleep with the windows open. Some have children and others aren''t particularly young and I am sure the majority won''t want to listen to live music which may not always be of high quality or to their personal taste. What guarantee is the hotel owner going to give re noise pollution for his neighbours? Does he have to apply for some sort of permit for this? I think other nearby bars will also perhaps feel the need to compete and we could end up with a great noise mess.
This may make me sound grumpy and a spoil sport but I think the effects could be detrimental to the enjoyment of Kalkan for many people. In some European resorts nightclubs and noisy late night venues are located out of the residential area to ensure they don''t spoil the peace of residents.

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 11:41:06 PM »

Lastly... if the venue went ahead (I stress that''''s a big ''''IF'''') what would be an acceptable closing time?
[/quote]

Many of my band''s pub gigs finish at 11.00pm due to people living nearby, one even at 10.30pm!
Good soundproofing can be achieved, and 2 sets of doors act like an air lock for the sound so people entering and leaving the venue need not be a problem.     The Moonlight Bar blasts music into the open air until midnight!

Most of the music nights could be acoustic based, but amplified Blues /Soul music doesn''t have to be that loud.
Perhaps one night per week could be a Rock night, but how many Rock Bands are there in, or visit Kalkan?
So that may be the exception rather than the rule.    My band are open to offers (to appear or stay away!)  ;D
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 11:13:39 AM »
Sorry I think it’s a terrible idea. I have no objection to the occasional night where there is a single guitar player and a singer but a full-blown band with drums and bass would be very intrusive to the relative peace and quiet on the outskirts of the town.

I’d like to hear more Turkish music being played at the bars and restaurants, it’s rare to find it played anywhere in Kalkan now, which is a real shame.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal