Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Horses at Patara  (Read 2680 times)

Offline rosarioguy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
The Horses at Patara
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:49:46 PM »
Ok I am trying to put this as delicately and diplomaticaly as possible as I would like it to stay on the website....please!
The horse previously mentioned ''Hope'' has been with us for a few days now, her eyes are brighter and she is eating nearly all day....so far no colic!! We really ''hope'' she stands a chance to survive. However our plans to help this little one seem to be under threat. We learned today that the place where she was taken from want to leave her with us to feed, nurture and care for until next season when they plan to take her from us and continue the same situation all over again. What can we do? Give her back now? Go to the authorities (who so far have done nothing). Any ideas gratefully received!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2640.0

Offline rosarioguy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: The Horses at Patara
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »
Amendment to my statement. Hope was not ''taken'' from the previous place she was ''given'' by her previous owner to one of our wonderful friends and the previous owner knew she was coming to us to be cared for.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:54:47 PM »
Perhaps a bill for the cost of her food, stabling, vets fees etc may deter them?

Offline rosarioguy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »
If only things were understood that simply. At the end of the day we just want her safe and well and will try to do everything we can to ensure this.

Offline spinal tap

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:45:40 AM »
At last the horrific treatment of the horses under the original riding establishment at Patara has been revealed. Sadly this situation has been going on for a long time and for many of these horses it is too late, they have died.  I implore EK website to keep this subject open, it is not a pleasant one but hopefully with the support of EK, its visitors and the local community we can do something constructive to end the suffering of these horses, if visitors/tourists are unaware of the dreadful mistreatment of these animals they cannot make an informed choice.  I know the proper authorities have been informed and that is the correct approach to take but we as a community need to to do something about the plight of these animals.  There are a lot of dedicated people who have been trying to help about this situation and they need our help.   I have seen the condition of the horse Hope, it is heartbreaking, it is beyond me how anyone could inflict such suffering on an animal.  There are still horses belonging to this establishment at Patara that need help.  I hope people get to know about Hope and what a pitiful state she was left in, I wonder if the riding establishment will be so quick to take back a horse that people know has been cruelly neglected.  Come on Kalkan we can do something about this, let''s get our heads together to try and find a solution to stop these horses suffering anymore.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:37 AM »
I think some photos of "Hope" would stir up a bit of feeling amongst people     

Regards KD.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline rosarioguy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 10:04:04 AM »
Hi All

Thanks for replies, it helps to realise we are not alone in this subject!
I am happy to email anyone photos and my email is available by clicking on rosarioguy. I feel it would be unfair to post them on EK and I understand the position of only wanting good things on the site to promote Kalkan. My suggestion is that a locked section is available open only to Kalkan residents to talk openly about difficult subjects.
As for tourists I think word of mouth is the only solution.
A couple of the agencies in Kalkan have sent customers to this company all summer, I wonder if they really know the conditions they are subjecting these horses to and how this forms tourists opinions of Turkey, Kalkan and Patara.
I would also like to say thankyou for the topic having been left on the site...so far!

Offline rosarioguy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 08:27:52 PM »
Update on Hope. She is eating very well, more than 3 times the amount our horses are eating!! She has not visibly gained any weight yet but the light in her eyes is brighter and she is forming ''opinions'' which is always a good sign. We havent wormed her yet as we are worried it will be too much for her but having talked to my vet in the UK we will be able to do so after another week of good food. Thanks to everyone who has emailed asking about her. We will update you all at regular intervals.

Just to make things clear, as I understand there has been some misunderstanding in Kalkan, Hope is with the new company in Patara that is Turkish and English run. She came from the older Turkish run company to us one week ago.

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
Sounds as though she''s eating like a horse............

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Getting to Patara

Started by Lucy Lou on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 05:52:55 AM
by amber
xx
Patara

Started by felicity on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 09:27:59 AM
by rosarioguy
xx
Patara Prince Spa - Wow!

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 08:22:45 PM
by Charlie
xx
Posted a Patara Pic

Started by macrefield mom on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 05:05:03 PM
by macrefield mom

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal