Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Swimming Hazards  (Read 10451 times)

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Swimming Hazards
« on: September 05, 2008, 08:52:02 PM »
I''''ll probably be criticised for daring to suggest there''''s something wrong in these parts, but I don''''t care and it may save someone''''s life. I''''ve searched the forum and can''''t find this covered elsewhere.
Two days ago a woman was drowned swimming from Patara Beach: I have been informed, but have yet to verify, that this was about the 10th victim this year. I believe most deaths, like this recent one, occur in the vicinity of Kumluova where the river from Saklikent discharges cold water into the sea. This causes a number of localised problems:
  • quicksands - several records of horses being lost
  • cold water - swimming from warm water into a very cold area can cause a ''''thermal shock'''' and severe cramp
  • this discharge can add to the existing stong undertow
I understand even very strong swimmers have been lost yet there are no warning signs or flags, and certainly no lifeguards - anyone who risks swimming in this area is very much on their own. The nearest medical assistance is the new clinic in Kalkan, where this unfortunate young woman was found to be DOA.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2333.0
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:38:25 AM by rat2 »

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Re: Swimming Hazards
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »
I think people will be grateful for the warning. We sometimes get a little too laid back on holiday and forget about risks.

Offline Hilary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
I agree. My children are not strong swimmers and neither are we. We had a couple of beach days but to be honest we were concerned about currents. Even on the town beach the currents were strong. However the Korsan pools allowed us to sun bathe and cool off

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »
The other end of Patara also has some very strong and unpredictable currents that have taken lives, strangely on the approach to the beach, having paid your 5ytl to get in, there is a sign which gives no warning about the dangers of the sea, only that no horses or camels are allowed on the beach!!!
  Luckily I''d decided to come on my elephant that day so that was ok,

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »
Hi

Although we all enjoy playing in the waves and taking surf boards and small blow up boats into the sea, we all know nature takes no prisoners! It has been posted on here before about rip tides at Patara, and no doubt elsewhere too?

Everyone should take care of themselves and their kids in the sea, even when things look calm.
No one should swim in the sea or in a pool area without someone else around to call for help!

We took the kids to Spain this year, and swam in the pool, and in all the coves. One or other of the adults was always within a few feet of them. We had rings, boats and surf boards, so it is not like we lacked fun.

No damage done, but a lot care taken. No signs needed, just common sense.

Em

Em

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 12:20:51 AM »
I think the difference here em1 is the fact that there are no warning signs at Patara, Dangerous beaches in Europe give warnings at least, but are usually out of bounds to swimmers.
 Patara is an unpredictable and dangerous place to swim and there are no signs or any lifeguards or rescue facilities.
 It''s very good that there is a site like this where people can be warned
The dangers of Patara should not,IMO, be played down

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »
Hi
There we no signs on the coves we found, as we went for the secluded ones away from everyone.
We must just use our brains I am afraid, and not leave them at home... :laugh:
Em

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »
Em,

It''s a legal requirement here to have warnings posted by private swimming pools if the properties are rented, so why don''t the local authorities take responsibility for their much more dangerous beaches? I''m sure you think of every possible eventuality whenever you swim, drive, fly, eat, drink, smoke etc. but, surprisingly, not everyone does, which is why it has been found necessary, worldwide, to provide health warnings for us lesser mortals.

r2

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 11:01:57 AM »
I must agree with Em that we all have a responsibility for our own safety. Any beach is potentially dangerous for swimming from & when abroad I would always ask local advice before venturing into the sea.

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 09:36:11 PM »
No Sally. not every beach is dangerous and those that do have severe riptides are signed

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »
Where there is sea - there is danger...it is inherent upon us to respect the sea and its potential danger never mind how calm and safe it might seem...  Are you really saying that Patara is a ''lethal'' beach - worse than others....that is not what I have been led to believe but I would be grateful for your clarification of whether Patara is such a risk......

Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 10:56:47 PM »
No Sally. not every beach is dangerous and those that do have severe riptides are signed

Any beach is potentialyy dangerous if you do not look at he weather, currents, rips etc.

And I know of many beaches with severe rips that are NOT signed.

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 05:01:46 PM »
I wonder if, because it is such a dangerous place to swim, if this is one of the reasons the beach has never been developed for tourism. You''d have thought with such an ideal location the developers would have been in there wacking up hotels,etc.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:03 PM »
it is a protected nature reserve - that is why it cannot be developed - and long may it stay like that...nothing to do with it being a ''dangerous'' beach - any more ''dangerous'' than any other beach in the world...!!  :o

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
as Felicity says it is a nature reserve and home to nesting turtles....much rather that than buildings!!
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 06:50:27 AM »
Swimming Hazards - its not just the sea that one has to be careful of- where there is water, be it sea river or pool, BATH etc, you respect it, teach your kids to respect it and water safety.  If not sure of it either stay away or make enquires.

It takes only seconds to become unsafe in water, sensible adults should be checking for themselves, & their children/charges.  Then teach those children how to be safe near/in  water, without trying to frighten them in the process.  Send them off to your local pool for swimming lessons or the RLSS, they don''t have to be Olympic swimmers just sensible ones, and that goes for adults too, they then can enjoy the water where ever it may be.

Common sense costs nothing, stupidity can cost lives.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 04:41:03 PM »
Is the original post on here from rat2 a wind up, or is Patara a dangerous place to swim?
Is it usual for 10 or so people to be killed on public beaches each year and the stats of Patara are ''run of the mill'' for public beaches? and the average deaths for a public beach is 10 or so per year

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »
I don''t know about the number of deaths at Patara this year but I know that there is a very strong undertow in the water there which can be very dangerous.

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 07:20:55 PM »
Kalcamp

I would never be stupid enough to ''wind up'' people about such a serious matter. Read my post again and you will see that I refer to a central part of ''Patara'' beach known as Kumluova. To my certain knowledge 4 people have drowned there in the last couple of weeks. One was a very strong swimmer who attempted to assist two girls who were in trouble. I have been quite specific about the probable reasons. There are definitely quicksands in that area which have been reported for over a century. For those who would make light of this, I can say with complete certainty they have never had personal experience of quicksands. I have: I was a strong swimmer in my youth and, although I have had an exciting life living on the edge and never far from danger, it was my most terrifying experience and had I not had a companion, who luckily managed to get a firm foothold, I would not be here today.

As people have said, you should always respect water as being potentially dangerous, but some areas are more dangerous than others; in my book Kumluova rates as one of the most dangerous (and I''ve swum in Darwin, NW Territories not too far from great whites) but there are no public warnings. The statistics for this beach are dreadful, but they are not widely publicised - if there were 4 drowning deaths in 2 weeks in Brighton we''d certainly hear about it, even in Kalkan. It''s all very well being ''sensible'' as DRBD says but unless you''re an expert you can''t predict strong undertow - that''s why every ''dodgy'' beach I''ve come across in UK, East and West coast USA, Europe, Africa (even Nigeria), East and West Malaysia, Middle East and Australia (and probably quite a few I can''t recall at the moment) have ALL had warning signs, and/or warning flags and/or life guards.

Putting notice boards up costs little; there are plenty referring to beach rules for the protection of turtles. Perhaps human life is less important than wildlife? I don''t think so, but I do think that to ignore dangers to ''protect'' tourism (did you see ''Jaws?) is criminally irresponsible.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »
OK - good points made and point taken - but by ranting about it on this forum is not going to help get signs up..how do we try and bring pressure to bear on the authorities that be to post warning signs - or indicating where are more dangerous parts of Patara than others.....???? :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Swimming with Dolphins

Started by misty on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 07:11:29 AM
by felicity
xx
any sea swimming groups?

Started by chappy on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 08:58:40 PM
by chappy
xx
swimming pool heating

Started by onelove on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 07:21:06 PM
by onelove
xx
The garage with swimming pool

Started by phil3 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 10:23:30 PM
by clara48

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Coffee Bar

Views: 4271
By: zros
Fethiye Harbour