Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: brown slick in sea from Kisla???  (Read 8700 times)

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: brown slick in sea from Kisla???
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 05:29:55 PM »
Kal1 how do you know people have been put off visiting Kalkan because of this forum. I dont know if it has put any one off or on, but would hope it would as a rule show them the great things this area has to offer. Now you have made me go off topic, and it drives me mad when this happens, hoever am interested where your information has come from. I for one am happy to swim in the sea around Kalkan.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 06:18:40 PM »
Hi caradog,I presume that is in your opinion !    ???
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:20:26 PM by fidimax »
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »
Jon and Felicity, you both make some really good points. I too share your love of Kalkan. If I did not I would not have bought a property a few years ago and visit regularly. I also agree that the forum is extremely helpful in many ways.
I have resisted responding previously as I did not want to turn this into a pseudo chat room where opinions and speculation are aired instead of relevant facts.
I''''ve no problem with the brown slick and never doubted what appears to be the facts. What was really uncalled for here was the speculation surrounding sewage and the discharge from yachts (which I notice has still not been addressed). I don''''t know whether that is right or wrong but would have thought if there were a blue flag it was incorrect. I agree we should be emphasising the blue flag. It brings me back to my original point.
I think you all need to stand back and look at comments from the eyes of those who have never visited but may be thinking of. Anyone reading all of the postings as Felicity suggests is left with the impression that yachts are discharging sewage in swimming water and the council are doing nothing about it. It''''s not that I''''m trying to suggest that we should pretend kalakan is 100% perfect, nor that it''''s imperfect. I just think we should avoid speculation.
Mrs B says "some people prefer to make up their own minds". I''''m sure lots do. But many people would not want to chance visiting to see if there was really sewage discharged or not.

I feel you have taken my above point out of context here.
Your original post appeared to point to "some of the things" you had read on EK, and not specifically at this one topic, and i did ask if you could clarify what "some of the things" that have put people off were.

I would hope that people reading EK would realise that this topic was something worth questioning on the forum, and not just assume that the many people who do make positive comments on this forum, and enjoy holidaying and living in Kalkan, would be happy to swim in sewage and oil slicks.
For anyone out there questioning whether this is true, i can happilly put your mind at rest and say i love to swim in the very clear, very clean, warm turquoise sea around Kalkan and have never, in three years of visiting, encountered anything in the sea that has made me want to get out....quite the opposite....i love it so much i scuba dive under it and spend many happy hours snorkelling in it, as well as swimming in it.
Hope that clears up my part in this discussion.

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »
Hi Mrs B...yes I agree with you completely. I also love to swim inthe sea around Kalkan which always looks perfetly clean and clear. Why therefore does Hoca say that boats are discharging sewage into the sea around Kalkan?? Is this true or scaremongering?? Still don''t seem to have had an answer to this specific point. Perhaps Hoca would like to clarify this for us all.

Offline theinspector

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »
Could the brown slick be caused a by any new building projects in the area. Ie moving large area.s of  the red clay etc  ??

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »
I wrote twice on this the second time with no reference to boats the first time was tongue in cheek as some one made a reference to that earlier.
The boats in Kalkan empty into a tank towed by a tractor and next year they will use a pipe system for this so no day boats discharge into the sea if they did the smell would be awful. So rest assured that there is a system in place here in Kalkan to prevent waste water from boats entering the sea. This "slick" is just a few random patches that have now gone and will come again next year when the trees pollenate again

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 07:33:35 AM »
Some yachts and gulets on blue cruises do discharge waste and sewage into the sea. This is illegal everywhere in the world but thoughtless, irresponsible people do not usually worry about breaking the law. The Belediye cannot be held responsible for not taking action on this, it is completely beyond their remit. The ships which do sometimes do this are mostly not even Turkish registered although they fly a Turkish flag.

I have been swimming in the bay as a nearby yacht did this, it was awful. We remonstrated with the boat crew and were laughed at.  On returning to the harbour we reported the boat to the coastguard, this is the only action you can take. However, in 9 years of swimming every week throughout the summer, this has only happened to us once, so there is no need for this to be regarded as a regular occurrence.

The waters around Kalkan are far less polluted than almost any other Mediterranean area, partly because we do get  less yachts. They are the main culprits when it comes to illegal waste.

Whilst nobody here wants to ''talk down'' Kalkan, it would be irresponsible not to point out that very occasionally, swimmers may be at risk if a nearby yacht discharges its waste into the sea. If you are moored nearby, you can see this happening and if you know what is going on, you can get out of the sea before you find yourself surrounded by effluent.

Lantana

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 08:49:48 AM »
Can I just say that I find this thread very offputting and I think I''ll avoid Kisla for the time being.
One question i ask is if it is pollen, then why is it concentrated only in Kisla? Why aren''t there brown pollen slicks in Kalamar
or furiness bays? If it washes down off the hillside there surely it would wash off the hillsides at Kalamar and Furiness as well
but no one talks about brown slicks in these places.
 Perhaps to put our minds at ease, a couple of those certain it is pollen could get in the sea when it appears and collect some in a bucket and bring it ashore.Then  get a couple of hayfever sufferers to give it a good sniff. If they sneeze then we''ll know it''s pollen, if they faint then we won''t being swimming in Kisla

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 09:17:19 AM »
Why don''t the Belediye consider applying for a Blue Flag status for the area and this, once obtained should put everyone''s minds at rest on this topic

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »
As mentioned the area around Patara Prince, which I believe technically is Kisla has a Blue Flag award.

Hope this eases some fears  :D

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 10:02:15 AM »
Hi Newballs.

I have seen the pollen which causes the slick in all the bays that have Olive trees, not only Kisla and I know it is pollen because it arrives the same time as my hay-fever ;D

Regards; Buster
My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Anyone know when the brown 5TL notes go out of circulation

Started by kalkanlover on Money & Finance

1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2014, 12:34:48 PM
by pw
xx
IF ONLY!... GORDON BROWN'S RETÄ°REMENT PRESENT

Started by Enişte on The Everything Else Area!

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 11:23:45 PM
by AllanChris
recycled
KISLA

Started by josie on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 03:40:45 PM
by casey
xx
Kisla

Started by alshepuk on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 12:54:55 AM
by kim21

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Seaport fresh fish

Views: 3090
By: leesyloo
The Lads - "Ollie"