Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: brown slick in sea from Kisla???  (Read 8747 times)

Offline Mustafa Raki

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
brown slick in sea from Kisla???
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
Can anyone tell me what was causing the very large ''slick'' of dark brown substance seen recently in the bay which seemed to be coming from Kisla area? A few of us were observing this and we would like to know if anyone has an explanation.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1811.0

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: brown slick in sea from Kisla???
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:56:23 PM »
Hi
I have seen this a few times, especially after a storm. I have always thought it is mud and stuff ( technical term) being washed down a gully on the mountain.
Em
Em

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »
Hi Em - any idea when it last rained here to wash this "stuff" down from your gully  :D perhaps it''s something else  >:(

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 08:25:30 PM »
Oh!
Perhaps some algae or something then...hopefully someone else will know! ;D
Em

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »
sometimes its pollen

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »
It could be sewage !!!!

Offline Mustafa Raki

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 04:24:35 PM »
 If there is anybody from Kalkan who knows what this stuff is please can you let us all know?  Surely there must be someone in Kalkan who can answer this?

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 04:30:32 PM »
It''s pollen and dust that gets washed around the bay and the salt clings to it and hardens, but don''t worry there''s plenty of sewage from the gulets and yatchs as well

Offline Mustafa Raki

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
Does this mean that the Mayor has not made provisions for the disposal of sewage from gulets and yachts in the harbour?  I''m sure we would all like to know what we are swimming in.  Does the Belediye read this website?

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »
I don''t know about the Belediye reading this site, but I do know that if I was a prospective holiday maker I would be really put off after some of the things I have read. In fact you only have to study Trip Advisor to see that a number of people have been put off after reading this forum. So if you are looking to keep tourist numbers down keep up the good work guys!

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »
If I read Trip Advisor I wouldn''t go anywhere!

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 08:00:56 PM »
I don''''t know about the Belediye reading this site, but I do know that if I was a prospective holiday maker I would be really put off after some of the things I have read. In fact you only have to study Trip Advisor to see that a number of people have been put off after reading this forum. So if you are looking to keep tourist numbers down keep up the good work guys!

Some people are easily influenced, some people prefer to make their own mind up about things.
Would be interesting to have some idea of whats been said on EK to ''put off'' people thatis any worse than i''ve seen on TA?

As for this ''brown slick''...would be interesting to know what it is, but nature can create things just as ''brown'' as much as the humans and thier waste can.

Offline Mustafa Raki

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »
It would be good to know the truth so that speculation stops.

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 11:44:27 PM »
I took a piccy of some brown slick in March, assumed it was rain water.

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »
It''''s pollen and dust that gets washed around the bay and the salt clings to it and hardens. Please remember that there is very little tide and no big waves to disperse it. There isn''t that much of it and it will go soon. The brown slicks you see in the winter are from the rains washing down the mountains and into the sea by the beach.

Offline kal1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »
Caradog - I agree with you that alot of prospective clients are put off coming to Kalkan because of this forum.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »
I disagree that this forum puts people off visiting Kalkan (in fact quite the opposite) - we have to give the good the bad and the ugly - all of which exists in Kalkan (re: the brown sludge - I agree with Hoca''s explanation of that) and I think that far from putting people off visiting kalkan - if people take the time and trouble to read the postings - they are generally left with a really ''good feeling'' about their prospective visit to Kalkan.  Lots of people comment on this forum - how informative and helpful it is - and how people''s genuine love of Kalkan shines through the postings - so I think that the positive postings FAR outweigh the negative postings - life is not 100% ideal - but certainly Kalkan life is as near 100% as it can be for me - and we can''t please everybody all the time - so if people are put off by a ''brown slick'' then they haven''t taken the trouble to read very many postings..... :)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 03:16:07 PM »
Some good points Felicity and i agree that Kalkan life is as near 100% as it can be for me as well. However weren''t we talking about potential tourists and didn''t the post before Caradog''s say ''don''t worry there''s plenty of sewage from the gulets and yachts'' Surely not a very good impression to give anyone wondering whether or not to visit Kalkan for the first time.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just to cover a couple of points, EK is designed to not only promote Kalkan and offer potential visitors the best possible discounts but also to act as a discussion area for people with an interest in the area - as a result there will always be positives and negatives but I think a quick glance of the forum shows how many people have a genuine love of Kalkan (imagine a forum about some areas of the UK and some of the topics that would spring up!)

Re the Kisla brown slick - as mentioned there is very little tide to take away the pollen and dust and the wind here the other day was pretty strong... remember the area has a blue flag for cleanliness of the water... a point I think should be emphasised here!!!

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »
Jon and Felicity, you both make some really good points. I too share your love of Kalkan. If I did not I would not have bought a property a few years ago and visit regularly. I also agree that the forum is extremely helpful in many ways.
I have resisted responding previously as I did not want to turn this into a pseudo chat room where opinions and speculation are aired instead of relevant facts.
I''ve no problem with the brown slick and never doubted what appears to be the facts. What was really uncalled for here was the speculation surrounding sewage and the discharge from yachts (which I notice has still not been addressed). I don''t know whether that is right or wrong but would have thought if there were a blue flag it was incorrect. I agree we should be emphasising the blue flag. It brings me back to my original point.
I think you all need to stand back and look at comments from the eyes of those who have never visited but may be thinking of. Anyone reading all of the postings as Felicity suggests is left with the impression that yachts are discharging sewage in swimming water and the council are doing nothing about it. It''s not that I''m trying to suggest that we should pretend kalakan is 100% perfect, nor that it''s imperfect. I just think we should avoid speculation.
Mrs B says "some people prefer to make up their own minds". I''m sure lots do. But many people would not want to chance visiting to see if there was really sewage discharged or not.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Anyone know when the brown 5TL notes go out of circulation

Started by kalkanlover on Money & Finance

1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2014, 12:34:48 PM
by pw
xx
IF ONLY!... GORDON BROWN'S RETÄ°REMENT PRESENT

Started by Enişte on The Everything Else Area!

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 11:23:45 PM
by AllanChris
recycled
KISLA

Started by josie on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 03:40:45 PM
by casey
xx
Kisla

Started by alshepuk on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 12:54:55 AM
by kim21

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal