Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: Mustafa Raki on June 19, 2008, 06:27:25 PM

Title: brown slick in sea from Kisla???
Post by: Mustafa Raki on June 19, 2008, 06:27:25 PM
Can anyone tell me what was causing the very large ''slick'' of dark brown substance seen recently in the bay which seemed to be coming from Kisla area? A few of us were observing this and we would like to know if anyone has an explanation.
Title: Re: brown slick in sea from Kisla???
Post by: Em1 on June 19, 2008, 06:56:23 PM
Hi
I have seen this a few times, especially after a storm. I have always thought it is mud and stuff ( technical term) being washed down a gully on the mountain.
Em
Post by: kevincat99 on June 19, 2008, 07:47:29 PM
Hi Em - any idea when it last rained here to wash this "stuff" down from your gully  :D perhaps it''s something else  >:(
Post by: Em1 on June 19, 2008, 08:25:30 PM
Oh!
Perhaps some algae or something then...hopefully someone else will know! ;D
Em
Post by: kevincat99 on June 19, 2008, 08:29:30 PM
sometimes its pollen
Post by: misty on June 19, 2008, 08:33:03 PM
It could be sewage !!!!
Post by: Mustafa Raki on June 20, 2008, 04:24:35 PM
 If there is anybody from Kalkan who knows what this stuff is please can you let us all know?  Surely there must be someone in Kalkan who can answer this?
Post by: Hoca on June 20, 2008, 04:30:32 PM
It''s pollen and dust that gets washed around the bay and the salt clings to it and hardens, but don''t worry there''s plenty of sewage from the gulets and yatchs as well
Post by: Mustafa Raki on June 20, 2008, 05:14:54 PM
Does this mean that the Mayor has not made provisions for the disposal of sewage from gulets and yachts in the harbour?  I''m sure we would all like to know what we are swimming in.  Does the Belediye read this website?
Post by: caradog on June 20, 2008, 07:41:40 PM
I don''t know about the Belediye reading this site, but I do know that if I was a prospective holiday maker I would be really put off after some of the things I have read. In fact you only have to study Trip Advisor to see that a number of people have been put off after reading this forum. So if you are looking to keep tourist numbers down keep up the good work guys!
Post by: jayne on June 20, 2008, 07:45:15 PM
If I read Trip Advisor I wouldn''t go anywhere!
Post by: Mrs B on June 20, 2008, 08:00:56 PM
I don''''t know about the Belediye reading this site, but I do know that if I was a prospective holiday maker I would be really put off after some of the things I have read. In fact you only have to study Trip Advisor to see that a number of people have been put off after reading this forum. So if you are looking to keep tourist numbers down keep up the good work guys!

Some people are easily influenced, some people prefer to make their own mind up about things.
Would be interesting to have some idea of whats been said on EK to ''put off'' people thatis any worse than i''ve seen on TA?

As for this ''brown slick''...would be interesting to know what it is, but nature can create things just as ''brown'' as much as the humans and thier waste can.
Post by: Mustafa Raki on June 20, 2008, 08:07:49 PM
It would be good to know the truth so that speculation stops.
Post by: Wendy on June 20, 2008, 11:44:27 PM
I took a piccy of some brown slick in March, assumed it was rain water.
Post by: Hoca on June 21, 2008, 12:04:25 PM
It''''s pollen and dust that gets washed around the bay and the salt clings to it and hardens. Please remember that there is very little tide and no big waves to disperse it. There isn''t that much of it and it will go soon. The brown slicks you see in the winter are from the rains washing down the mountains and into the sea by the beach.
Post by: kal1 on June 21, 2008, 01:50:26 PM
Caradog - I agree with you that alot of prospective clients are put off coming to Kalkan because of this forum.
Post by: felicity on June 21, 2008, 02:09:49 PM
I disagree that this forum puts people off visiting Kalkan (in fact quite the opposite) - we have to give the good the bad and the ugly - all of which exists in Kalkan (re: the brown sludge - I agree with Hoca''s explanation of that) and I think that far from putting people off visiting kalkan - if people take the time and trouble to read the postings - they are generally left with a really ''good feeling'' about their prospective visit to Kalkan.  Lots of people comment on this forum - how informative and helpful it is - and how people''s genuine love of Kalkan shines through the postings - so I think that the positive postings FAR outweigh the negative postings - life is not 100% ideal - but certainly Kalkan life is as near 100% as it can be for me - and we can''t please everybody all the time - so if people are put off by a ''brown slick'' then they haven''t taken the trouble to read very many postings..... :)
Post by: lynda on June 21, 2008, 03:16:07 PM
Some good points Felicity and i agree that Kalkan life is as near 100% as it can be for me as well. However weren''t we talking about potential tourists and didn''t the post before Caradog''s say ''don''t worry there''s plenty of sewage from the gulets and yachts'' Surely not a very good impression to give anyone wondering whether or not to visit Kalkan for the first time.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on June 21, 2008, 03:27:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just to cover a couple of points, EK is designed to not only promote Kalkan and offer potential visitors the best possible discounts but also to act as a discussion area for people with an interest in the area - as a result there will always be positives and negatives but I think a quick glance of the forum shows how many people have a genuine love of Kalkan (imagine a forum about some areas of the UK and some of the topics that would spring up!)

Re the Kisla brown slick - as mentioned there is very little tide to take away the pollen and dust and the wind here the other day was pretty strong... remember the area has a blue flag for cleanliness of the water... a point I think should be emphasised here!!!
Post by: caradog on June 21, 2008, 04:11:42 PM
Jon and Felicity, you both make some really good points. I too share your love of Kalkan. If I did not I would not have bought a property a few years ago and visit regularly. I also agree that the forum is extremely helpful in many ways.
I have resisted responding previously as I did not want to turn this into a pseudo chat room where opinions and speculation are aired instead of relevant facts.
I''ve no problem with the brown slick and never doubted what appears to be the facts. What was really uncalled for here was the speculation surrounding sewage and the discharge from yachts (which I notice has still not been addressed). I don''t know whether that is right or wrong but would have thought if there were a blue flag it was incorrect. I agree we should be emphasising the blue flag. It brings me back to my original point.
I think you all need to stand back and look at comments from the eyes of those who have never visited but may be thinking of. Anyone reading all of the postings as Felicity suggests is left with the impression that yachts are discharging sewage in swimming water and the council are doing nothing about it. It''s not that I''m trying to suggest that we should pretend kalakan is 100% perfect, nor that it''s imperfect. I just think we should avoid speculation.
Mrs B says "some people prefer to make up their own minds". I''m sure lots do. But many people would not want to chance visiting to see if there was really sewage discharged or not.
Post by: holidayfever on June 21, 2008, 05:29:55 PM
Kal1 how do you know people have been put off visiting Kalkan because of this forum. I dont know if it has put any one off or on, but would hope it would as a rule show them the great things this area has to offer. Now you have made me go off topic, and it drives me mad when this happens, hoever am interested where your information has come from. I for one am happy to swim in the sea around Kalkan.
Post by: fidimax on June 21, 2008, 06:18:40 PM
Hi caradog,I presume that is in your opinion !    ???
Post by: Mrs B on June 21, 2008, 06:44:13 PM
Jon and Felicity, you both make some really good points. I too share your love of Kalkan. If I did not I would not have bought a property a few years ago and visit regularly. I also agree that the forum is extremely helpful in many ways.
I have resisted responding previously as I did not want to turn this into a pseudo chat room where opinions and speculation are aired instead of relevant facts.
I''''ve no problem with the brown slick and never doubted what appears to be the facts. What was really uncalled for here was the speculation surrounding sewage and the discharge from yachts (which I notice has still not been addressed). I don''''t know whether that is right or wrong but would have thought if there were a blue flag it was incorrect. I agree we should be emphasising the blue flag. It brings me back to my original point.
I think you all need to stand back and look at comments from the eyes of those who have never visited but may be thinking of. Anyone reading all of the postings as Felicity suggests is left with the impression that yachts are discharging sewage in swimming water and the council are doing nothing about it. It''''s not that I''''m trying to suggest that we should pretend kalakan is 100% perfect, nor that it''''s imperfect. I just think we should avoid speculation.
Mrs B says "some people prefer to make up their own minds". I''''m sure lots do. But many people would not want to chance visiting to see if there was really sewage discharged or not.

I feel you have taken my above point out of context here.
Your original post appeared to point to "some of the things" you had read on EK, and not specifically at this one topic, and i did ask if you could clarify what "some of the things" that have put people off were.

I would hope that people reading EK would realise that this topic was something worth questioning on the forum, and not just assume that the many people who do make positive comments on this forum, and enjoy holidaying and living in Kalkan, would be happy to swim in sewage and oil slicks.
For anyone out there questioning whether this is true, i can happilly put your mind at rest and say i love to swim in the very clear, very clean, warm turquoise sea around Kalkan and have never, in three years of visiting, encountered anything in the sea that has made me want to get out....quite the opposite....i love it so much i scuba dive under it and spend many happy hours snorkelling in it, as well as swimming in it.
Hope that clears up my part in this discussion.
Post by: lynda on June 21, 2008, 07:38:59 PM
Hi Mrs B...yes I agree with you completely. I also love to swim inthe sea around Kalkan which always looks perfetly clean and clear. Why therefore does Hoca say that boats are discharging sewage into the sea around Kalkan?? Is this true or scaremongering?? Still don''t seem to have had an answer to this specific point. Perhaps Hoca would like to clarify this for us all.
Post by: theinspector on June 21, 2008, 07:43:15 PM
Could the brown slick be caused a by any new building projects in the area. Ie moving large area.s of  the red clay etc  ??
Post by: Hoca on June 22, 2008, 08:35:35 AM
I wrote twice on this the second time with no reference to boats the first time was tongue in cheek as some one made a reference to that earlier.
The boats in Kalkan empty into a tank towed by a tractor and next year they will use a pipe system for this so no day boats discharge into the sea if they did the smell would be awful. So rest assured that there is a system in place here in Kalkan to prevent waste water from boats entering the sea. This "slick" is just a few random patches that have now gone and will come again next year when the trees pollenate again
Post by: Lantana on June 23, 2008, 07:33:35 AM
Some yachts and gulets on blue cruises do discharge waste and sewage into the sea. This is illegal everywhere in the world but thoughtless, irresponsible people do not usually worry about breaking the law. The Belediye cannot be held responsible for not taking action on this, it is completely beyond their remit. The ships which do sometimes do this are mostly not even Turkish registered although they fly a Turkish flag.

I have been swimming in the bay as a nearby yacht did this, it was awful. We remonstrated with the boat crew and were laughed at.  On returning to the harbour we reported the boat to the coastguard, this is the only action you can take. However, in 9 years of swimming every week throughout the summer, this has only happened to us once, so there is no need for this to be regarded as a regular occurrence.

The waters around Kalkan are far less polluted than almost any other Mediterranean area, partly because we do get  less yachts. They are the main culprits when it comes to illegal waste.

Whilst nobody here wants to ''talk down'' Kalkan, it would be irresponsible not to point out that very occasionally, swimmers may be at risk if a nearby yacht discharges its waste into the sea. If you are moored nearby, you can see this happening and if you know what is going on, you can get out of the sea before you find yourself surrounded by effluent.

Lantana
Post by: newballs on June 24, 2008, 08:49:48 AM
Can I just say that I find this thread very offputting and I think I''ll avoid Kisla for the time being.
One question i ask is if it is pollen, then why is it concentrated only in Kisla? Why aren''t there brown pollen slicks in Kalamar
or furiness bays? If it washes down off the hillside there surely it would wash off the hillsides at Kalamar and Furiness as well
but no one talks about brown slicks in these places.
 Perhaps to put our minds at ease, a couple of those certain it is pollen could get in the sea when it appears and collect some in a bucket and bring it ashore.Then  get a couple of hayfever sufferers to give it a good sniff. If they sneeze then we''ll know it''s pollen, if they faint then we won''t being swimming in Kisla
Post by: kevincat99 on June 24, 2008, 09:17:19 AM
Why don''t the Belediye consider applying for a Blue Flag status for the area and this, once obtained should put everyone''s minds at rest on this topic
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on June 24, 2008, 09:37:55 AM
As mentioned the area around Patara Prince, which I believe technically is Kisla has a Blue Flag award.

Hope this eases some fears  :D
Post by: Buster on June 24, 2008, 10:02:15 AM
Hi Newballs.

I have seen the pollen which causes the slick in all the bays that have Olive trees, not only Kisla and I know it is pollen because it arrives the same time as my hay-fever ;D

Regards; Buster
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal