Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Reporting an intruder to Gendarme  (Read 8452 times)

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Reporting an intruder to Gendarme
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »
Not wishing to restart an old forum but members might be interested in my experience 2 weeks ago. 21.45 watching TV heard metal chair scrape on patio. Looked out saw 2 youths trying locks on side doors. Quietly left and took my car from about 75 metres away and went to Gendarme. Guard there spoke some english. Explained youths probably still in our complex. Reply " Officer is out, I cannot help, you have sigorta".  On the way back to the villa saw the same 2 youths walking into Kalkan. What do we do?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1715.0

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Re: Reporting an intruder to Gendarme
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »
I doubt you''ll get many answers to this one, people come here for a holiday, not to get their houses ransacked by the.....
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Offline philb1963

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
    • The Kalkan Apartment
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:57:48 AM »
They were trying your side doors and you drove away!!

You probably would have got a similar response from UK police!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:03:04 AM »
EnjoyKalkan - Post Removed
Reason: Breach of Registration Agreement

Section:
"You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening or invasive of a persons privacy"

If this was your post and you feel it should not have been removed please email the EnjoyKalkan Team. EnjoyKalkan takes breaches of our membership agreement very seriously and assure members that we do everything we can to act in a timely manner.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 07:34:37 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:32:27 AM »
Are you seriously suggesting Misty, that if you suspect an intruder is on or in your property, you have the right in Turkey to take the law into your own hands? This is both an irresponsible and dangerous post. It appears to be suggesting that anyone who did suspect an intruder should take physical action against them as ''human rights rules don''t apply in Turkey''

Why don''t you go a stage further and suggest villa owners set up vigilante groups?. In this village, as in any other democratic community, the rule of law applies. If you feel that the law is inadequate, move elsewhere but don''t suggest that villa owners who are foreigners with no rights here  create their own interpretation of law and take matters into their own hands.
 Lantana

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »
No Im not suggesting any of that....but if someone comes onto your property you have every right to take action tp protect your family and property.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
I should add that I love Kalkan for the fact that I have always felt very safe for myself and family whilst there.   

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:41 PM »
What strange reactions to my post. hel66 says people come for holiday not to be ransacked - don''t understand what that means in the context of my query. philb1963 seems to think that trying to get local police quickly is cause for inuendo. The comment on UK police is irelevant. Lantana who as I have said in another place is one of my most respected correspondents but appears to have gone off key here a little.
To put it in context I have now retired from the uk judiciary and have lived in Kalkan for 7 years and before that 5 years as a visitor.
My point was that until now I have always felt safe in Kalkan but petty crime has without doubt exacerbated in the last 2 years and this was a very good opportunity to catch 2 possible offenders and gendarme were not interested.
Sorry that an innocent observation has caused such reaction.

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 02:22:14 PM »
It is a reflection on life as a whole

Offline marking

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 04:24:07 PM »
Hi Bryher, There is nothing else you can do, this is a very touchy subject here because hundreds of people have been in your position and the gendarme don''t or can''t do much. Most people I know who have been burgled, and it is common, put bars on their windows and window locks. You can also get steel reinforced doors, I''m sure there are villa owners out there with other forms of protection........ [a note of sarcasm] ........ now wait for them to fill the thread with unhelpful nonsense in the hope that the subject will go away!!!!!

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:29:51 PM »
Marking
Thank you for the voice of reason, hopefully if I summon the courage to make another post I will be answered in similar way

Offline Mctee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 06:25:05 AM »
Another note, perhaps Misty is an American, where laws involving protection of property are very different from those in the U.K. Remember our transatlantic cousins have the ''right'' to bear arms, and presumably to use them if there is an intruder on your property. It always amazes me in the movies how guns are brandished so freely in the states,and in many states killing an intruder is perfectly acceptable! but I think this is a reality that the U.K fortunately does not have to deal with. Look at the section ''Buying a property in the U.S.A and gunning down anyone you don''t like who comes into your garden.''

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 08:50:44 AM »
Hi
I am not able to read Mistys thread as it has been removed, so I cant comment. However it is a very sad state of affairs when the local Police cannot or will not help, that you are unable to protect your belongings or family. I do hope any alleged burglars take my human rights into account when coming onto my property and burgling me!
Em
Em

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 09:05:39 AM »
Hi.....I didnt say anything like gunning people down.I stated that you are able to protect your family and property when under threat and meet that threat with whatever is required.

Offline freeat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 09:44:38 PM »
My friend''s villa was broken into recently and they had no joy from the police. Putting bars on the windows seems so drastic and makes the place look so unsightly. There must be other solutions  what do other villa owners do?

Offline philb1963

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
    • The Kalkan Apartment
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
Sorry Bryher there was no innuendo meant in my post.

Its just that I would have thought if they had realised there was some-one in the property they would have done a runner which would at least have have made your property safe.  It just seems odd to me leaving the property during which time they could have got access and made away with your belongings when the simple act of turning a light on or just making a noise would in all likelihood have eliminated this risk.

I suppose different people react differently in a situation such as this which, thankfully, not many of us will encounter - at home or abroad.

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 12:15:33 PM »
I take your point and thank you for explaining. My intention was to "officially" catch them. Should have known better after so long in Kalkan.

Offline Pauline

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 08:28:25 PM »
Thought I would let you all know that we had a break-in during the night 8th June - whilst we were all sleeping and two young children in their bedrooms - frightening thought.   They took the usual stuff handbags, purses, phones and actually went into one of the bedrooms whilst there was someone sleeping.   The gendarme did come quite quickly when we called in the morning when we discovered the break-in.   The following day all our belongings were found in an empty villa nearbye by a neighbour who was just having a look at the villa (naturally all the money had vanished) and again the gendarme did come.   We questioned the security of the complex where our belongings were found!!!!    They said it was very valid!!!  I think not!!   We now have to make our villa more secure.    So beware of leaving windows open when you are asleep - as we think they climbed up on to the first floor terrace and entered through an open window. Pauline

Offline Pauline

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 09:13:33 PM »
Hi The Feds
Thank you so much for all your advice.   We are back in Kalkan next Monday - 23rd june.   Would it be possible for us to visit you and see what you have done and get all the info where you organised everything.   It would really be appreciated.  Naturally, hoping you are also in Kalkan.   Thanks Pauline

Offline coppers1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
Bryher,

I am not yet a property owner in Kalkan, but hope to be soon.
I am also a recently retired Police Sgt in Scotland.
I have read your post and related replies with interest, and, for what it''s worth, here is my opinion  -

Myself, wife and kid stay in a quiet rural area of Scotland with only one neighbouring house within a half-mile radius.

A few years ago, I was off duty, at home when I saw a 30yr old male breaking into my neighbour''s dwelling. The house was empty at the time.
I managed to catch and detain the housebreaker (after a slight scrap) until the local Police arrived a short time later, having been phoned by my wife.
This was all pretty much run-of-the-mill stuff to me because of my training and experience, however, I would definitely NOT encourage any of my family, other neighbours or friends to take similar action, as things could go very badly wrong and the result could be severe injury to the "good guys".

I totally agree with the suggestion that the simplest course of action, in your case, would have been to frighten the two youths off, by making a noise/switching on a light etc... and then phoning the local cops (if your local lingo is good enough) and giving them as full a description as possible of those concerned.
OK, so they might not be "caught in the act", but you may have prevented a crime and, if the police were fast enough, at least the would-be burglars would be identified, questioned and warned off.   
It is not a perfect solution, but it ain''t a perfect world!

Cheers

Dave

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Intruder Alarms

Started by Bee on Living In Kalkan

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 06:45:10 PM
by kalkan4eva
smiley
Reporting from Kalkan

Started by Kefgirl on Holiday Reports and Reviews

7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 07:49:44 PM
by Blue Lizard
smiley
Reporting from Kalkan 2

Started by Kefgirl on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 08:38:49 PM
by lorilou
xx
Twenty-six years absence, so what's a fortnight in reporting back!

Started by Jann on Holiday Reports and Reviews

18 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 05:31:47 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal