Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Carpets  (Read 10895 times)

Offline phillip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Carpets
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
Shirley has her heart set on buying a genuine Turkish carpet to bring home,she only wants a small one for the lounge fire place.Are they available in Kalkan and do you have them posted home or are they easy to get home on the plane.

PS
 We live five minutes from Allied carpets,why are women so difficult ? :laugh:

Phillip.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1573.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Carpets
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »
LOL - PHilip - Allied carpets just aren''t the same..!  Yes - there are carpets for sale in Kalkan - you can get them just past the Moonlight bar - take the left hand fork - sort of straight on on the level and just past the Sofra restaurant on the left... that is the only place I can think of although there may be others....

Also - the carpet weavers association near Saklikent might be a good place to try as well for a comparison - don''t bother to go with a trip as they all stop there - but if you go independently you can just wander in - see them making the carpets and get shown lots - no idea how the prices compare though - perhaps a local person may be able to advise better..!!

Cheers and happy shopping..!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
There is a place opposite DoyDoy (or next door depending on how you look at it!) Is that the one you mean Felicity?

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
There is also one going down the hill past Abi Travel and it is a couple of doors down on the right - he used to be in the shop next to the Merkez
The co-operative in Kayakoy on the way to / back from Saklikent / Tlos has some lovely carpets but they seem expensive unless you know your carpets and also a bit of a hard sell operation

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »
No Jon - I didn''t mean the place opposite the Doy Doy - that''s another place - I forgot about that one..!!  No - the place I mean is at the top of town just along from the Sofra Restaurant..!!

yes - I agree the carpet weavers assocation do give the ''hard sell'' and I have no idea how the prices compare - but it is jolly interesting seeing how the carpets are made and the silk worms and all that stuff...highly educational and worth the visit!!

Cheers!!

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »
The co-operative may appear to give the ''hard sell'' but are more than happy to accept a ''no thanks''.
We visited the place on the way back from an arranged trip out to Saklikent, and had a great time looking around the factory and enjoying the delights of the production that involved the laying out of many rugs before us.
At all times we were assured we weren''t under any pressure to buy.
We explained we had an interest in a future purchase, but couldn''t purchase at that time due to not having the room at home.
This was met with some attempt at bargaining, but we stuck to our original answer and, because we had shown interest in their craft, the salesman took us to many of the display rooms used to show off their works of art...wall hangings, small framed rugs that were hugely expensive etc.
At the end of the visit we thanked each other for our time.
We will return there to buy our rug....but we have to find the house we want to put it in first.  :D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 08:38:55 AM »
Phillip..pay a bit more for a top of the range one and you can fly home on it!! ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 10:26:30 AM »
Hayri Yamaci is planning to close his shop and may have something at a good price.  He has been involved with quality carpets for most of his life and has a good reputation.  But his shop is none of the ones listed here.  Hayri''''''''s shop is located next to the now-closed Paprika restaurant.  Meaning, if you stand in front of the post office and look down across the parking lot one level down from the main road, you will see his shop (opposite the parking lot, near Daphne''s).  The shop is large and usually there are some carpets hanging outside.

We have bought 3 quality carpets from him.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:28:11 AM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline phillip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 02:00:57 PM »
Hayri Yamaci is planning to close his shop and may have something at a good price.  He has been involved with quality carpets for most of his life and has a good reputation.  But his shop is none of the ones listed here.  Hayri''''''''''''''''s shop is located next to the now-closed Paprika restaurant.  Meaning, if you stand in front of the post office and look down across the parking lot one level down from the main road, you will see his shop (opposite the parking lot, near Daphne''''s).  The shop is large and usually there are some carpets hanging outside.

We have bought 3 quality carpets from him.

Offline phillip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »
Thank you Blue Lizzard,that made me laugh. :D
Cosetta,wheres the post-office ???

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »
Blue Lizard makes us all laugh - Philip - where would we be without him to add some fun to our forum!!   ;D ;D

The post office is the PTT and has just been newly refurbished - in the same place as the previous one..ie in the main road from the roundabout where Breeze and Kaya Restaurant - headed into the town - on the level - just past Ali Babas and Deli tomato on your left is the PTT - and then Utopia and Moonlight - and as Cosetta says - if you stand more outside Utopia (I would say) and look down over the wall into the car park below - the shop she means is on the other side of the parking lot..!!

I hope that helps you!!  ;)

Offline phillip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 08:22:53 PM »
 :laugh: Thank you Felicity,
  I am just trying once more to get Shirley to go to Allied  Carpets cos the salesman is from Istanbul and after a couple of sherries she wont know the difference !!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »
An old lady walks into Allied carpets..she walks up to the salesman and says "young man,i had a carpet fitted by your people,it''s very nice ,but everytime i walk across it the electricity in it pulls my socks off !!Can you give me any advice?" The Allied salesman said "yes madam,don''t sit on it incase it whips your kecks off!!" ;D ;D

i''ll get my coat!! :laugh:

Offline phillip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »
 :D Felicity,
            please tell me the Pasha apartments where we will be staying are in an area that Blue Lizard dosnt know !!!  ;)

(Dear mum,we could be coming to Skegness to see you after all) :D

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »
LOL - Phillip - now you have let the cat out of the bag....I''m sure that Blue Lizard will know where the Pasha aparts are....he knows kalkan well - and they are well known....maybe you better go under disguise..or better still - find his lime trees along the Kalamar road (exactly where you ARE staying) - and pinch them all before he can get to them..!!

;D ;D

Offline phillip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 09:48:44 PM »
 :D
 Felicity,anyone turning up at the bar with one of Blue Lizards limes will get a free drink on me.Maximum of one drink otherwise he will turn up with a bucket full !!!
 Anyone who brings me one of his carpets as well gets gets a packet of crisps !

( Well I am northern,what did you expect !) ;)

Offline jackien

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 01:52:13 PM »
To answer Philip''s question about getting a carpet home, we bought a large rug from the carpet weavers association in 2001.  Yes they do give you the hard sell but the carpets are very good quality.  They organise everything and arrange for the carpet to be sent to your home address.  You sign your name on the underneath of the carpet so when it arrives you know it''s the same one you actually saw and purchased! We are very pleased with ours and it still looks good 7 years on.

Offline phillip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 07:07:39 PM »
Thank you Jackien,I didnt realise they did that and it will certainly solve a problem.

Many thanks.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 07:18:09 PM »
Phillip...make sure you pick one that matches your curly slippers!! :D :D

Offline phillip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »
Its my toes that curl !!! :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Turkish carpets

Started by Anne on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 12:22:33 PM
by whiteonyx
xx
Carpets/Rugs

Started by Zosherooney on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 06:32:17 PM
by Zosherooney
recycled
Turkmen carpet-turkish carpets

Started by lolly on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 05:56:09 PM
by lolly

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal