Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Truly, Madly Kalkan  (Read 15916 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Truly, Madly Kalkan
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 02:50:56 PM »
K4E another fab report,  :D :D :D we too have experienced very windy days at Patara, but we love it too! Last year it was so so hot, we left after an hour, but fortunately we had a car hire and not a taxi, so made a quick exit I remember!

J&B

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
Just catching up with all your eventful news! That hill at the side of the Korsan Suites was our early morning walk when we stayed their last year, such beautiful views!
I love the way the people in the market basically shout out insults but still everyone finds it funny. A few years ago my OH decided to buy a pair of swim shorts......while deciding on size the stall holder just made a grab for him and shouted "skinny bollocks!"  ;D ;D

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »
So enjoying your reports - as always. Thank you for sharing I can't wait until we return.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Babs!!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 10:33:58 PM »
Whisper it ever so softly....more than halfway through our holiday :'(

On Tuesday after deciding the bus journey to Fethiye felt too arduous, we settled on a walk over to Patara Prince. In all the years we've been coming to Kalkan, we've never been here. We've certainly passed it on numerous occasions when out walking or on a boat but never been in for a look around. Tuesday was the day that changed.

Now, I have to say we've often thought about renting here but in the end, I just wasn't sure about the place and passed it over for somewhere else....having wandered around it and found it utterly charming, it's something I would now consider. I thought it would be twee, but in fact its not, its lovely. Although I'm curious as to why the roof terraces of so many properties have been turned into gardens...gardens with no apparent access or facilities...curious!

In the afternoon, I toook myself off to Jasmine on Kalamar Road for a pedicure. The puffiness means they are much more visisble and therefore in need of some TLC. Ladies, this is the best £10 you will spend in Kalkan. After a hour of intense work, I can look at my feet, albeit chubby feeet, with a sense of pride.

Eyebrows? Said Betul. Do they need doing, really? I asked. Yes was her unequivocal response...followed swiftly by "chair". At this point said chair was akin to a dentists chair, given that I've never had my eyebrows done professionally and these Dennis Healeys have rarely seen a set of tweezers in my 50 plus years, save for removing the odd white hair that seems determined to go its own way. I immediately felt the downy hairs dropping onto my cheeks as she got to work...there seemed rather a lot of them. In less than 5 minutes my pain was over and I looked in the mirror at my newly shaped brows...they looked fantastic. What was less fantastic was the white skin that was now very apparent where the hair had been removed, forming a perfect border...a highlight if you will! I'm only grateful I dont sport a lady moustache, or that would have met a similar end and given me the concealer headache from hell.

Im sure it'll blend in eventually was BH's helpful comment as he suppressed a snigger!

On Tuesday night we ate in Mousakka. The key to this restaurants success is Mehmet's dedication to his business, overseeing everything, even taking the orders himself. Mehmet from the old Sofra restaurant is here now too and with "little Mehmet" (who is indeed a lot smaller this year...) still leading the floor, if you shout Mehmet, its pot luck who turns up at your table. Two Summer Steaks, beer, wine, a cocktail and ice cream 240tl. Fabulous and our favourite meal of this trip so far!

Today we went out on Yildiz 2....what can I say about this wonderful family that hasn't been said? All of them are doing Ramazan, but that doesn't stop them looking after everyone on the boat and preparing fabulous food. For the first time ever, we continued passed Kaputas and around the islands here....one of which was a mass of starlings chatttering to each other whilst undertaking their mesmerising flight patterns. I missed my mud bath but visiting new coves certainly made up for that. Lovely people, lovely day.

From the boat we headed to Botanik to see Nam...two beers and two Magaritas later it was 7.30pm and we were sat in our swimwear...modestly covered, naturally...whilst freshly showered and dressed people began arriving for their pre-dinner drinks. I caught sight of myself in the mirror behind the bar and knew immediately it was time to head home for a simple supper of egg and chips.

I absolutely love days like these....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:40:48 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 07:20:02 AM »
I do hope the eyebrow situation sorts itself soon.....plenty of sun cream or your white stripes will turn red......now isn't the red panda in danger of extinction?  ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 07:21:24 AM »
K4E, what a lovely read this morning, thank you, a pedicure, eyebrows, Moussaka and Yildez 2, can it get any better! I don't think so, sounds like my perfect holiday! The sun will soon tan those white bits where the eyebrows have disappeared don't worry! I caved in yesterday, after reading EK this week, have now pre-booked 4 boat trips after my promise this year to wait until we get there!  ;D ;D ;D Enjoy your weekend and the rest of your holiday, and thank you for taking the time to post.  :D :D

J&B

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2017, 07:33:03 AM »
Another really captivating read K4E. Obviously I'm not into pedicures and eyebrow treatments but I can relate to the white bits that are left after having a trim. It made me think that I should get my hair cut before I get much further into my holiday. We did actually venture out yesterday and I'll share my story in a little while.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 08:35:52 AM »
K4E..i don't seem to remember your eyebrows being bushy!!..the time to worry is when someone hits you on the head with a rolled up newspaper thinking a Tarantula is walking across your forehead ;D :-*
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 10:24:41 AM »
Another fabulous read to brighten up a dull Saturday morning.  :)

What a brilliant sounding day you had with the yildiz crew. They really know how to do a boat trip!

I hope someone will enlighten us re the gardens on patara prince rooftops as it's got me curious too.  ???

I adore a summer steak and have only seen them on the menu at mussaka and Doy Doy and both in my experience, equally as good as each other. I can't wait to get my chops around one now!

Love the sound of your pampering session. I'm sure the stripes will have blended in soon. Until then at least you've got natural highlighter at considerably less money than it costs for touche éclat and with added bonus of a pedicure too!  ;D

Have another wonderful day today. Loving your reports.  :-*

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »
We have a villa in Patara Prince and can enlighten on the roof gardens. The architect who designed it was very mindful of the views. Virtually all the villas have outstanding views of the bay and the superb landscaping softens the impact of the buildings.The roof gardens were the same, put there to make the outlook better, rather than looking at the roof of neighbouring properties. Part of the complex is based on the Romans, the Agora by the hotel. The arches throughout the complex are based on The Lycian dynasty, and the arch by the adult pool is an exact replica of the ruins at Patara Beach.
The architect was heavily into landscaping and when you consider all he started with was a bare Rocky hillside the outcome is truly stunning. It was I think his life's work.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 11:31:44 PM »
The days are evaporating faster than an Efes on a hot day...and boy is it hot!

We've not done anything exciting these last few days except adopt a horizontal position on a sunbed or two. The thing is I had some major surgery at the end of February and only went back to work a week or so before we came away here, so it feels like an extension of my recuperation or a good excuse to do naff all! It means we havent done as much as we usually do and so theres less to say.

On the upside, I no longer look six months pregnant - not a good look for a woman in her mid-fifties to be fair. On the downside my bikini days are over...you might say, also not a good look for a woman in her mid fifties. I needed to purchase a whole new wardrobe of grown-up swimwear before we came here...of which I have worn 3 items out of a possible 12.

On Saturday we wanted to get a walk in before the Lions game which was a 10.30am kick off here, so it needed to be fast and dirty to accumulate some cocktail points...! By 8.30am we were passing the bus station on our way up to the new road - a climb that is neither quick nor dirty so Ive absolutely no idea why we did it! Its a painful climb to the top, but I needn't tell you the views are stunning and we took the obligatory selfies and made our way back down. One of our Turkish friends caught sight of us and stopped to offer us a lift. No its fine, we said we are doing this for fun.....his expression was priceless.

We wished we'd walked longer and missed the Lions game in the end....!

On Saturday night we had a few drinks in town and a takeaway from Hunkars.We'd heard a few rumblings about Hunkars this year...not good ones....but our takeaway was fine, albeit more expensive than we remembered. I think Oz Adana probably offers better value for money these days and there are more kebab restaurants than you can shake a stick at...so shop around.

On Sunday we went for a short walk along to Likya Hotel, with a plan to head down to the harbour and along for lunch in Fener. We bumped into Dimitris (AKA Ilhan) who was heading into his newly refurbed area in Rhapsody. We were invited in for a drink and a look around- it looked like a top class spa and has its own Hamnan. We couldnt be happier for him now he is finally doing what he has wanted to do for so long, although we miss him around town.

Our lunch at Fener was the best...I cant remember a seafood salad as good as the one I had here, BH opting for chicken wings which he said melted in his mouth. Two Lals, two beers and a large water followed by my first Fener icecream of the holiday 124tl....I kid you not! The menu doesnt change at night and whilst the decor is not the same as its fancy neighbours at the harbour, the food and service are as good as you get anywhere. Oh and the views are probably the best...

Today we went to the town beach, forgetting that half of Kalkan would also be there for bayram. Luckily we got there early as by lunchtime there wasnt a bed or parasol to be had and the spaces in between were taken up by hundreds of towels...Ive never seen the beach so busy! The cushions have made a welcome return so the beds were super comfy for a change although I'd have gladly occupied a bed without a cushion than lay on a towel on the stones. Many did as they had no option.

As we left the beach at 6pm, it sill looked as busy as it was at lunchtime, with more and more people arriving. The whole town has been so busy over the last couple of days, it was a welcome sight as bars and restaurants filled up with so many Turkish celebrating the end of Ramazam.

It felt like the old days, only without the power cuts and water shortages.

Long may it continue.

NB thanks for the update msr, mystery solved!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:49:03 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 07:03:15 AM »
12 new items of swimwear? That is seriously impressive! And why do we buy new each year and only end up wearing the same couple of things??
So nice to hear that you bumped into Dimitris, such a lovely man  :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 07:07:07 AM »
A great read K4E. It's not easy to conjure up a blog when, like you, we have really spent most of the time doing absolutely nothing but lazing around the pool. We normally call in at Moonlights at 7.00pm, prior to finding somewhere to eat. We're planning to have a walk into Town today and a spot of lunch down by the harbour and will probably spend the evening at the villa. Judging by the weather forecast it looks as though it is going to get increasingly hot .

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »
Mmm lunch at Fener. We really missed it in April, so glad it's back and sounds to be as good as ever.

I'm really enjoying your blogs K4E. In fact I'm sure we are due another instalment soon...pleeeasee  ;)  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
We love Fener for brunch, lunch or dinner, but especially at the end of a chilled day on the beach having an icecream and a glass of grape juice watching the boats come back to the harbour!

Totally agree Lizzie, another blog is needed regardless of whether your enjoying yourself too much K4E!  :D 8) 8) 8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
We are at that point in the holiday where I cant decide what's shrinking fastest, our time left here or my clothes!

Well, ok....I can accept that my clothes aren't actually getting smaller, the problem is Im retaining just about everything Im eating and drinking! Although for years I've felt very comfortable blaming Turkish washing powder because that's what we do, right?

One of our friends called last week to say she would be coming to Kalkan very last minute with her new partner, so we immediately started to undo the plans we had made to make new ones in order to spend some time with with them before we left.

This meant on Tuesday, we didn't go to Fethiye and instead we boarded the Falcon Yacht for a day out at sea. When you go down to the Harbour, this super duper vessel looks a tad out of place amongst the regular boats but it was our friends choice so we happily went along with it. Its slightly more expensive than the other boats and the drinks are also pricey, but it was a lovely day -  the perfect place to be when Kalkan appears to be in the grip of a heatwave. I got my mud bath and the food was good so all was well with the world.

We decided on cocktails in Fener straight from the boat and Halil made a point of saying we couldn't keep away from the place....and he was right. Lunch, dinner, drinks over the past 3 or 4 days..all roads lead to the Lighthouse.

Dinner that night was a lovely cooked chicken from the Deli, with salad and veggies and BH tucked into some amazing bread from the bakery...as simple as you like but utterly delicious. We are always completely knackered when we come off a boat trip, I can't face an evening out or a massive meal.

The lack of walking/swimming versus the excessive consumption of food and drink does mean that if we were a business we'd be looking for a bail-out right about now. Seeing how no financial institution offers the currency of cocktail points, we knew we had to take some remedial action of our own so yesterday we set out on an epic walk. Over to Kisla via the harbour and the beach, up the track to Komurluk, climbed the 167 steps (I know I counted them...) from Palm Beach to Olympus, up the hill to Patara Prince, down to Kalkan Beach Park, across to Mahal then back up the steps to the incline that takes you out of Kisla. Are we mad..? Maybe! All on the hottest day of the year so far!

As we were climbing those steps to the hill that takes you out of Kisla, BH remarked "We should be 8 stone" I took the opportunity to remind him what we'd consumed over the past 18 days (its how I lost count of the steps....) and didn't let up until we reached Tempa Supermarket. At that point, I think he wanted to strangle me, only stopped by sheer exhaustion and possibly the thought of seeing out his days in a Turkish prison.

We had every intention of going to Paprika last night but neither of us felt like eating very much - not sure if its the heat or restaurant fatigue. The Soup Kitchen was calling...well Spicy Lentil Soup was calling me and after a few drinks in Moonlight we headed off there and back to Haninn.

Today was our last Market shop of the trip so we go armed with a list in order to get everything we need..more spices, green tea and Turkish Delight by the tonne....is there anything heavier than 6 boxes of Turkish delight? I felt as though I was carrying a hod of bricks around the market and the heat at 9.30am was unbelievable. Its like we went to bed a few night ago and woke up in August...feels even hotter than any August I can remember with regular tannoy announcements warning of the temperatures which have soared past 45 degrees these last few days - cant bear to think what that is in old money!

We'd invited our friends over for an afternoon of swimming, chatting, wine and food - curry was their choice from the list BH reeled off to them and we bought our fresh ingredients from the market. We needed some Garam Masala, but our regular spice guy didnt appear to sell it, no problem, he said, I'll make it up for you. I tried to keep an eye on what he was putting into the bag but eventually he was done and shook it to within an inch of its life. Smell..! OMG the aroma was amazing and the curry, with some coconut milk from the deli was a real treat.

Tomorrow it was a choice of Patara or Palm Beach. Given that the heatwave shows no sign of letting up, we opted for Patara. No Palm Beach this year, which is a real heartbreaker for me so BH has promised to make me a cocktail on the beach tomorrow to make up for it.

Will that be sand with your margarita, madam...?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:41:51 AM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2017, 07:01:12 AM »
No Palm Beach this year? Or no Palm Beach for you? Who's checking out our beds? Mind you I doubt it will still be open in October when we go so someone else will claim ownership of the said beds for this year!
Make the most of the time you've got left K4E......enjoy every moment! :laugh:

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2017, 07:39:37 AM »
How do you muster the energy for your long walks K4E? I enjoy walking but haven't done any this visit as It's far too hot, even in the shade. I know what you mean when you say that the days just seem to evaporate......we're into our last 3 days now and, despite my best efforts to maximise every minute, the hours just fly past. We are giving Moonlights a miss this evening as we have a table booked at Seaport and will have pre-dinner drinks down at the harbour.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2017, 02:01:03 PM »
Your really packing your days with fun in the sun K4E, I wouldn't mind risking sand in my Margarita at this moment in time! Thanks for another fab blog! Enjoy  :D :D :D :D :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
kalkan here we come again,!!

Started by clara 50 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 03:52:41 PM
by clara 50
xx
Hi Kalkan...

Started by Ozgur on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 11:03:59 AM
by Ozgur

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal