Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Lycian Way from Kalamar Bay?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Adidasfish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
Lycian Way from Kalamar Bay?
« on: September 27, 2015, 08:01:13 AM »
Has anyone walked from Kalamar Bay round to Patara via Delikkemer recently? Just wondering where in Kalamar the trail actually starts.....

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13067.0

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Lycian Way from Kalamar Bay?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:19:03 AM »
I would not recommend that part of The Lycian Way, its not a walk its a dangerous scramble over very sharp rocks, although it is slightly easier doing it from Kalamar rather than the other way around, having done it both ways! I have walked The Lycian way from the beginning at Ovacik as far as Demre (in sections) and to me that is the worst part. 

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »
agree with Mel - it is a real scramble over sharp razor rocks and the 'trail' is difficult to follow as the markers are not very obvious.  However if you really do want to do it - ensure you wear gloves, take plenty of water and be prepared to get lost!  The trail from Kalamar, which actually starts in Kalkan and along Kalamar road is marked on Yildiz Sokak and takes you past the 'glass house' and 'boat house' at the far end of Kalamar through the grove and turn sharp left near the half built houses....
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Adidasfish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »
Have walked this section a few times in the past (both directions) and didn't find it especially difficult......that is apart from finding the start in Kalamar. There's now been a lot more construction since last time we walked it too. So, back to the original question: if anyone can advise on where to pick up the trail in Kalamar Bay, please let me know! Thanks :)

Offline Adidasfish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »
Thanks Felicity (posts crossed I think!)

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »
Opinions are divided about this section.  I live on Yildiz Sokak and have done it a number of times most recently last October (2014).  You can see the track and download GPX data (https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/a0e29055d78d7a6af1048d6c1623f168/?map=fullmap).  This is a 20km walk of at least 6 hours. Going East to West the difficult parts are the Firnaz scramble relatively early on and the the long ascent to the point overlooking Patara in the last hour when you are quite tired. 

The section that most disagree about is called the Firnaz Scramble in the most recent (2014) Lycian Way book and the iPhone App that comes with the book does not even show the section from Delikkemer to Kalamar as part of the Lycian Way although the paper map continues to show it.  I have recently talked to tour guides who do not believe it should be on the route. 

The reason that it is difficult to give you a definitive answer is that it is different for everyone based upon their own preferences (e.g. scrambling) and walking experience. 

If you do decide to do it, my advice is to go in a group preferably with someone who has done it before.  You follow Yildiz Sokak past the big villas.  The markers are not clear but turn off right near a portacabin.  I ignore this and keep on going to the large construction road which snakes up toward the D400.  Turn right here and look carefully for a path off to the left about 50-100 metres which is the marked route. 

Mark
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:35:49 AM by mark »
Tripoli - Rome - London - Kalkan

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Walking on the Lycian Way

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 11:03:07 AM
by M n M
xx
Walking the Lycian Way

Started by Buster on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 07:02:32 PM
by Begonvil
xx
Walking on Lycian Way

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

62 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 06:32:32 AM
by Buster
question
Villa Lycian

Started by Adys66 on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 05:41:48 PM
by itstime

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal