Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: And so it begins ... again  (Read 19807 times)

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
And so it begins ... again
« on: September 20, 2015, 12:23:59 PM »
D Day

Dear Reader (note I'm guessing there won't be more than one!)

6.45am and the alarm goes off.  It has to be early as i've have done nothing towards getting ready for our holiday.  Where did the time go yesterday?  I had such plans to get so much done.  Epic fail as some would say

So what's the priorty?  We are leaving at 10.45am (clock is already ticking) so I need to manage my time carefully.  Clearly the most important thing is to wash and dry my hair, then pack whilst grabbing breakfast on the hoof.  Thankfully we got the dog off to his "holiday" on Thursday.  Next, mentally write list of things that those left behind need to remember to do whilst we are away.  It will soon be clear, dear reader, that I'm one for lists, even though I don't always follow them.

Empty the bins
   Water the plants
   Remember to open the curtains before they leave for work
   Wash up - even if it's only done the day before we get back

You know the sort of thing

So back to my list ...

Hair washed and dried - tick
Suitcase down from the loft - tick
Take 20 items out of wardrobe and drawers then put 10 back as not "suitable" .  Reselect another 10, 5 of which are those already deselected! - tick
Pick up passports, ipads, phones etc - tick
Grab "essential" food items - tea bags, Coffee (a gift for a friend - what is it about the Turkish and Nescafe?), Cheddar Cheese plus large quantity of dog treats for our furry friends at our villa - tick
Go back and find all the chargers (we forgot one last time) - tick
Check weather forecast for Kalkan.  Rain!!??  Add jacket to suitcase and additional "all weather items" - tick
Ring Mum so remind her we're off today, promising to text, phone, Skype asap - tick

10.35 and all done.  If we've forgotten anything, then tough.  The suitcase is heavy and bulging so we can't have missed much

Grab a quick cup of tea and wait for taxi to arrive - tick

The drive to Gatwick was pretty uneventful althought it was lovely that the sun was shining (typical as we are going away having had the fire on last week).  Checked in with BA and no problem.  Not flown with them to Dalaman before as Easyjet always seemed the easiest option.  However, this time the price was too good to miss.  We shall see.  Customary trip to "duty free" followed by lunch at Jamie's Italian. Both unexciting but necessary.

The flight was OK despite the delay that never was (I guess 30 minutes doesn't count as far as the insurance companies and the CAA are concerned) .  One minute we were on the runway and were told we didn't have a takeoff slot for 45 minutes and then we were airborne!  Not sure what happened but I could see the Easyjet flight that we usualy take ahead of us about to take off.  The journey was fine until the last half an hour when we hit a really bumpy patch as we were descending to Dalaman - RAIN.  I thought we'd left that behind

Yusuf was waiting for us and whizzed (at break neck speed) to Kalkan.  I try to snooze to pass the time.  Then, the lights of town appeared suddenly round the bend and we were home.  No matter how many times we come, the feeling of that moment never changes. 

So the evening ended thus

Welcome back, lots of hugs and kisses all round - tick
Unpack the suitcases - tick
Text home to say all good - tick
Crack open a bottle - tick
Sit outside and take in the view - tick
Relex and unwind, we're back - tick
Fall into bed and welcome oblivion - tick

So that's it for the first day.  I've spent the summer reading and thoroughly enjoying the blogs of others.  I really will try to keep going during our trip and, hopefully, find something that will interest you and make you smile.    Only time will tell!

LBD X

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13051.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: And so it begins ... again
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
Have a great time LBD( bet you have forgotten something!!!)...that BA flight has NEVER gone on time with myself or friends always at least 30 mins late often more!! >:(
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
Got to love a list?!
Have fun  :laugh:

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 09:54:31 PM »
Wonderful start to what I hope will be a fab blog !

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:29:31 AM »
Day One - The Day the Rain Came

Dear Reader

I had every intention of following the example set by notable others and write early in the morning, as the sun comes up and before anyone else surfaces.  Clearly another "epic fail" but, being ever optimistic it is only Day One and, as of now, the spirit is willing for Day Two

I did, in fact wake early, the warm sun was streaming through the crack in the curtains.  Despite my best efforts to close them properly the night before I had managed to leave just enough gap for the rays to peep through to suggest that I should be out of my bed. However, I checked the clock and decided that 5 hours sleep just wouldn't do so pillow over my head, resumed my position.  This is where I went wrong and when I awoke there was no sign of sunshine, just lots of low clouds, some of which were grey to say the least.  Certainly more than 50 Shades!   That forecast was clearly spot on so time to revise the list for the day

Eat healthy breakfast whilst admiring the ever changing and view - tick
Find book, iPad andheadphones - tick
Locate sunny spot around the pool - untick
Write first blog - tick
Send a series of happy, sunny photos to friends and family at home to ensure jealousy - untick
Sunbathe in sun whilst pretending to read my book - untick

So indoors we sat for best part of the day.  The rain was torrential and the lightning danced across the sky in a depressing yet magical way.  The storm hung low over the surrounding villages and they disappeared from sight. I watched a few brave boats look for shelter in the bays.  Not the day for an island cruise then!  To add insult to injury my daughter sends photos of our garden back home bathed in sunshine.  Now who's jealous?

We followed the advice offered by others and remembered that Hydration is Important and cracked open a bottle to watch the spectacle of the weather.  The power came and went but our spirits remained high although those in the bottle seemed to lower at an alarming rate.  The afternoon passed quickly as an unintended nap whilst attempting to read helped.  And then the rain was gone and it was set fair for the evening. 

New list made for the evening

Shower, etc - tick
What to wear - tick  Cardigan or no cardigan - Oh the decisions to be made whilst on holiday
Call taxi - tick
Essential G&T before we leave - tick
Walk though the town, meeting and greeting everyone - tick
Choose where to eat - tick

I always enjoy that first stroll though the town.  It's as if we have never been away.  Despite it only being a few months, there is much to catch up on.  Some have had a good season but others have found it tough going.  Everyone is expecting the next two weeks to be good as it Bayram and there are many Turkish visitors arriving daily. 

In the end we decided on Gourmet.  As we all know, these things are personal but we have never had a bad or even average meal in Gourmet and this time was no exception.  We started with a couple of obligatory cocktails, followed by starters and a main dish.  I opted for salad as I'd rather spoilt my appetite a little during the day eating too many crisps whilst hydrating!  OH had the Ginger Noodles and said it was delicious.  The welcome we had was lovely and the service excellent.  The restaurant was very busy but everything arrived quickly and hot.  Always a "tick" in my book.

Feeling mellow (and a little tired if I'm honest) we wandered through the town for a nightcap at the harbour.  Again, lots more hugging and catching up.  But we couldn't keep up with the pace so after one drink called our taxi

So here endeth the first day.  No adventures, calamities or huge excitement. Just good to be back, whatever the weather.   All that was left to do was

Make cup of tea - tick   (Too tired to have a nightcap on the balcony but there's always tomorrow!)
Fall into bed and head for oblivion - tick

LBD x

PS  Mr Lizard - I forgot my newly purchased adaptor plug complete with USB's as well as my essential jar of Marmite.  Yali here we come!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
Oh hello, LBD!! Where have you been hiding?
Loving your blogs already  ;D ;D
I have lists for my lists...so totally get where you are coming from, but your packing scared me :o :o
Cases from the loft and clothes going in hours before departure is unfamiliar territory for me...how do you do it? I swear that gave me palpitations reading it....
I also love that first walk into town...I get butterflies thinking about the holiday ahead of us and seeing old friends...sad, I know.
Have a fabulous holiday, look forward top catching up with your stay on here.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 12:06:01 PM »
How lucky are we. Thanks LBD (I so want to think of you as "Little Black Dress" ;D), for continuing our season of reports. We've never had it so good! Really enjoying them too. Hope the weather improves soon.  :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 05:40:24 PM »
Little black dress was the first thing that came to my mind too! And like K4E have lists of lists but also felt the same gripping fear when you said the case only came out of the loft a few hours before leaving. Although I don't pack until the last moment everything is laid out on the spare bed well in advance (is three weeks too early?) in military precision so that it can be checked and double checked! I actually have nightmares about having to pack/get ready for something in a couple of hours!
Loving the posts though and thinking how lucky we are to have to 'late season' posters at the moment!

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 10:37:30 AM »
Dear Reader

Thank you for the replies to my posts.  It's lovely to know that they are being read.  Being new to this, I was a little worried that there was no-one out there as the season is rapidly coming to an end.

I thought I'd better start with clarifying the "last minute" packing thing.  It's becoming clear that perhaps I should have got my act together a day or two before.  Despite my selecting, de-selecting and re-selecting of clothes I seem to have packed a strange mishmash of items.  For instance I have a dress that is more suitable for Mother of the Bride.  It's completely the wrong colour, material and I doubt I would ever wear it at home let along strolling through Kalkan.  What possessed me to buy it - another Sale bargain no doubt!  I've also got too many T-shirts and nowhere near enough trousers/shorts and a slightly weird assortment of underwear.  I should have made a list before I packed!!  Now today I just wished I had a windproof umbrella, waterproof trousers and a decent pair of wellies and my new tankini remains forlorn in the drawer!

So on to today and yesterday's events.   I was up early due to the huge storm we had in the night (more about that later) but there was no power/internet.  Hence the delay in posting again.  Despite my best efforts to write first thing in the morning, the spirit was willing but the signal was weak!

Day Two - The Day Sun Came Out

I woke reasonably early having caught up on my sleep.  I never understand why a relatively short journey  and a time difference of just two hours should upset my body clock so much.  Must be an age thing but it seems to be taking an age for me to adjust.

Lying there I planned the list for the day and it was relatively short

Make tea, followed by breakfast and not necessarily a healthy one - tick
Shower, dress, locate book, iPad and adjourn to the pool for a lazy day - tick
Write my blog - tick
Crack open a bottle to celebrate the return of the sun - tick
Snooze, eat, drink to ensure that body is well maintained - tick

And it all went to plan.  Just enough sunshine to replenish my Vitamin D levels and just enough liquid refreshment to keep us in the Kalkan spirit

Showered and dressed for the evening we headed into town.  There seemed to be lots of people and there was quite a buzz about.  The temperature was just right for sitting outside.  We had booked Moussaka as we'd not been the last couple of times we had been in Kalkan.  The new venue is really nice and a little different from when they were at the harbour although pink is still the theme.  We don't tend to eat at the "top end of town" (why I have no idea - habit I imagine) but it's a really different view from up there and great for people watching.  The market stall shop opposite remains busy with the boys practising their sales patter on the passing tourists.  I can't put my finger on their "English accent" - possibly South London, crossed with Manchester and Birmingham.  I'd love to know who gives them the lines, especially those that seem to be a throw back to 80's sitcoms.  They do seem to work though as they were clearly attracting customers.

As I said previously, I know it's personal opinion but we had a really lovely meal at Moussaka.  Just yesterday there were varying comments on here about the food, service etc and I have to admit that I was a little worried that we might have made the wrong choice.  However, our experience was nothing short of superb.  There was the customary warm welcome back despite our lack of recent custom.  We were served complimentary bread, olives, cheese and salsa/esme.  Delicious so of course I ate too much.  I then had Moussaka (well it would be rude not to) and OH had a mixed grill which he said was excellent not just in flavour but because it came with few vegetables but plenty of meat. He's never been a follower of the 5 a Day rule! We washed it down with a really lovely bottle of Shiraz.  Turkish wine really has come along way in recent years.  When we first came to Turkey over 20 years ago I remember being offered free wine with meals.   However, it was so "vinegary" (aka awful) that I always asked to swap it for water!  The waiters thought I was quite mad but I was truly concerned for my liver!  However, no such worries yesterday.  I would drink that bottle again and again;  but, of course, only in the recommended persuit of hydration.

We then completed the final part of the list

Wander through town, browsing in the shops (there being another handbag and jewellery list!) - tick
Obligatory nightcap in the harbour - tick
Taxi home - tick
Cup of tea (still too much of a lightweight for another drink) - tick
Fall into bed and oblivion - untick

We were awoken by the loudest thunder I have ever  heard.  Not sure what the time was as the power was off but the storm was right overhead.  I always told my children that thunder was the fairies making their beds.  Yesterday they were clearly throwing the beds along with the rest of the contents of their houses! Then the lightning started and it really didn't stop.  It was like someone was continually switching on and off the strobe lights in the disco.  I got up to watch it as it was mesmerising.  How long it lasted, I'm not sure but it was certainly a lot longer than a few minutes.  There was no view out of the window, just black rain clouds and driving rain.  Nature at its wildest, beautiful yet scary at the same time

Eventually it subsided and we fell back to sleep.  This morning there is a lot of clearing up to do.  The sky remains dark and there is thunder rumbling around.  It's coming back according to the forecast. I guess we shall just have to stay indoors and crack on; well crack open another bottle.  We may be eating in tonight!

LBD x

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »
 :) Great report, thank you so much. Glad to hear that Mussaka was good, we've booked there next week for our first night.

Hope the weather improves, I need some of that lovely Kalkan sunshine, as I'm sure do you.

PS: Started my own lists too, one of which is which restaurants to visit!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:52 AM »
Fab reports LBD, thank you, and look forward to reading more.  I definitely have the Kalkan blues since returning to reality in the UK!

Janeb have a super time too, and maybe a post or two.......  :D

Jayne

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
Dear Reader

DAY THREE - Water, Water Everywhere

As previously mentioned, Tuesday roared in like a lion, only this one was being chased by a very angry and very noisy mob

The morning began calmer and the power and internet returned.  The day was going to take some interesting planning

Check forecast (grim!) - tick
Shower, dress (indoor attire for sure), eat - tick
Grab vital equipment and write blog - tick
Stay inside - tick

And so began a day of torrential downpours interspersed with moments of calm and even a peep of the sun behind the very grey clouds.  Not the Kalkan I know and love for this time of year.

There was to be no sitting outside.  We didn't even venture into town as we would only be looking for places indoors to keep ourselves fed and watered and we could do that here.  We heard that the town was quite busy with those cafes and restaurants with inside seating doing pretty good business.  Perhaps something good could come from a day like this?  Some though must have found the day very difficult for trade.  Not the end to the season that they wanted or needed.  Nothing was on the water and who could blame them. 

We spent the day reading, snoozing, listening to music and, of course, eating and drinking to ensure that we stayed healthy.  We cracked open a bottle of two and watched the rain come and go.  It was a pretty uneventful day but, despite everything, relaxing and rather pleasant.  Like so many, we lead ludicrously busy lives at home so the chance to slow down and chat together about nothing in particular is something of a novelty.  However, much as I enjoyed it I'm not sure I want to do this every day of my holiday!  Come on sunshine, show your face.

By early evening the weather seemed a little better. We had a table booked at Salonika but had decided not to take the chance of getting soaked so called to cancel.  We are going to try again another night as this restaurant has been recommended to us by friends who really enjoyed the food there.

I revised the list for the evening

Shower etc - tick
Customary G&T - tick
Stay and eat in - tick   

This was the right thing to do as by 8.30 the rain was pounding again and the thunder and lightning back with a vengeance.

Well, I'm not sure you could call it a Date Night but after 30+ years together we thought is sounded a little more interesting than just staying in. I set the table with candles (not for romance but in case of another power cut!) and prepared a feast - macaroni cheese followed by fruit, washed down with a bottle of wine.  We know how to dine in style!

We settled down on the sofa with the laptop having discovered how to watch UK TV live. Very sad I know, but watching television whilst on holiday is something new and what else was there to do?  We spent the evening listening to the rain and watching a load of old rubbish.    It was as if we had never come away! 

Suitably fed and watered we tottered off to bed

OH's head hit the pillow and he was out of the count. The sound of the wind and the rain fortunately drowned his droning (something of a bonus) although, of course, he will deny any hint of a snore.  I lay listening to the thunder as the lightning danced across the ceiling, mentally making a list for tomorrow.  According to the forecast, we may still need our wellies!

LBD x

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
You now have the baton LBD ;D

I agree - the only way you know if you're giving a pleasant read or boring the underwear off the readers is by a) noting the Thank You Count; and b) people's replies.

Shame about the weather, but we had to leave something behind!

I think you may have been on the incoming BA flight the day before us, so we can't blame you for drinking all the Tonic  >:D

Incidentally, the BA flight goes to Bari (Italy) before and is rarely back on time from that - hence this just adds to the delay.  Can we blame the EU for this?

Keep up the good work.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »
 :) Even though you were housebound I really enjoyed your post. It reminded me of rainy holidays in a caravan in Devon as a child. Lots of card playing then rather than the use of all the fantastic technology we have these days to keep us occupied. We still had a fab time though.

Hopefully it won't be long until the sun comes out and stays out for you (and for me next week!).

I will attempt some reports Jayne.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
Hope the weather improves soon LBD or you'll be going stir crazy. On the flip side, more time for blog writing or is that selfish of me ;D ;D

Looking forward to yours too janeb.  :-*

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
Yippeeee   The sun is out and the forecast is set fair

Therefore new list

6pm - shower following by glad rags on
G&T
Taxi into town
Eat, drink and be merry

Let's hope they all get a tick!

Bug*er it (can you say bug*er on this site??) whatever the weather we are out tonight.  You're right Lizilu I'm done with being indoors.  This is Kalkan afterall

LBD x

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 01:54:44 PM »
LBD sorry the weather has been awful, but I have just thoroughly enjoyed reading your report, brilliant, keep up the good work, and hopefully the sun will shine, the forecast looks better as the week goes on.   :D 8) 8) 8) :D

Thanks janeb will look forward to reading about your holiday too.

Jayne

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
Love it, the sun is out!!! Can't wait to hear tomorrow's instalment.  :D :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 01:56:24 PM »
Yay! That's the spirit LBD, get your glad rags on and get out there and strut your funky stuff...then come home and tell us all about it!  ;D ;)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
Kalkan rain, persistent rain?...mid September? The world's gone mad.... mad I tell you! We went to Mexico a couple of years back and it rained solidly for 9 days...not your normal Caribbean rain, proper full on, clouds going nowhere rain in the so-called dry season. A day or two of room service and tv was all I could take and headed for the beach everyday to sit under the grass umbrellas in the rain, towels doubling as blankets. Do not be beaten!!! Show those storms whose boss! Although you may have had the worst of it...hopefully.
Fingers crossed that the weather improves PDQ
Loving the blogs :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:25:39 AM by kalkan4eva »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
And so it begins!

Started by Blue Lizard on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2017, 03:09:50 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Sleeps counting begins today.

Started by clara 50 on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2014, 06:50:39 PM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Harbour

Views: 4386
By: winlaton mag
beautiful view