Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Just the two of us - Part 2.  (Read 10877 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Just the two of us - Part 2.
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 04:42:55 PM »
Janeb, thank you so much for posting, and you are absolutely not boring us with our posts, thoroughly enjoyed reading them.  Please keep posting and do keep up with your chip research!  :D :D :D

Jayne

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 06:58:36 PM »
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with Jayne. I'm really enjoying getting into the Kalkan zone in my mind and I'm walking down that road with you in my dreams.
Where are you staying? Apologies if you've already mentioned the hotel's name. Now I'm 50 my memory is not like it was  ;D

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 03:12:20 PM »
Too full this morning to bother with breakfast we enjoyed a lovely cup of tea whilst soaking up the view from our terrace. I never tire of watching the boats leave for the day.

Slightly overcast this morning with a shower of rain forecast but happily the clouds dispersed and the sun shone in all its glory. The temperature in as been in the high 20's and even at night doesn't seem to drop by much, no need of any of the 4 shrugs or either of the 2 jackets bought 'just in case'.

We seem to have established a pattern of laying by the main pool in the morning and moving back to our terrace in the afternoon. The water temperature of our pool is marginally warmer and once in is lovely just a little bracing at first.

We stolled down to Yeni Korsan at lunch and admired the beautifully appointed bathrooms Yassar had worked so hard to refurbish over the winter months. We enjoyed a glass of lemonade and a toastie before heading back for more rest, hydration and relaxation. 

Mussaka was our choice for this evening, the chips were amazing. Top of the class so far. They were a perfect partner for my Mussaka and Richard's steak, Richard seems to be conducting his own research on the best Roquefort steak, with Mussaka's coming out on top so far.

Some drama tonight. The couple on a table close to us weren't having such good time, she was complaining that her main course was too salty, by the way this was after she had added salt! She wasn't a happy bunny, and made her displeasure felt to the waiter. He was very charming and expressed his dismay and asked if he could get her something else, but no, that wasn't good enough, he presented the bill and told the couple that he had taken the cost of the dish off the bill and offered her a pudding and a complimentary drink of her choice, but, you've guessed it. That wasn't good enough either. Fortunately at that point she very dramatically stormed off with a very sheepish and embarrassed husband following soon after. Mehmet told us that they had been coming to the restaurant for many years and despite not pre booking were very annoyed that they didn't get a table at the front and had felt that they should have been given preference over those of us who had booked in advance. Oh dear, but it was an interesting little melodrama.   

A drink in the Moonlight bar followed, where leaving Richard enjoying his Efes I popped into Yarden for some much needed research. It's our Ruby wedding next year and I had thought that a bigger diamond for my engagement ring would be nice. Crikey I'll need to re think that plan, the one I admired thinking maybe it would be £600 or £700 turned out to be £13,000!!!

Chip research is definitely cheaper!  Lizilu w're staying at the Oasis. 

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me, the number of diners who liberally coat their food with salt before they've tasted it.

It seems to be their assumption that it will be under-seasoned.  Personally, I've never added salt to a meal - ever - in a restaurant.  Pepper maybe, which leads me to wonder why Italian restaurants always have gargantuan phallic pepper mills  >:D

As for the other behaviour, I suspect that once she'd started on a course of action, it escalated due to adrenalin, and she wasn't going to back down.  A 'keep digging' scenario?

Anyway, if I'd booked, and someone, even a regular, strolled in and took priority by reasons of familiarity, I'd be the one who would flounce off!...

As for diamonds, remember that jewellers generally inflate the price by 60% for tourists.  You need the Turkish rate, some 40% less....at least!  Tried over the road? :angel:
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »
Me thinks I'll need to shop around, someone suggested the jewellers under Sofra so I might give that one a whirl.

So little to post about, it's so gloriously hot, had hoped for sunshine but didn't expected temperatures similar to when we came in July. All plans of going out for lunchtime walks have come to nothing. We simply move from our terrace and seek some much needed shade by the pool bar, switch on the kindles and order our lunchtime libation, rose and soda for me and an Efes for Richard. Wonderful.

Chip research going well, that evening we ate in Trio, we haven't been there for several years. We ordered their hand cut chips to accompany our main, the chips were very nice, not quite as good as Mussaka but still delicious, I had the wild boar and RW had the lamb with walnuts and pomegranate, both meals were amazing. Our drinking stops tonight were Foutain and Mini Bar followed by a night cap back at the hotel. Where conversations flowed along with the wine and beer about restaurants visited, fun had on boat trips and a couples enjoyable experience eating at Adam's restaurant.

The following day was even lazier, how that could be possible I'm not sure! Blisteringly hot again, the day followed the same pattern as all the others. We lead such busy lives at home, the opportunity to just chill out and relax is one not to be missed. That evening saw us eating in the hotel, we have always had the most amazing food here over many previous visits, this time it was a good meal but fell a little short of previous experiences. Frozen chips too.    :( Walked down to Moonlight after eating and watched the first half of the rugby, I'm not a sport fan but I was hoping for a win. Oh dear, enough said I think.

Now on our final day. Off to Gourmet tonight our first time there, lots of recommendations from fellow guests so hopefully it will be good.  Might have time for a final post tomorrow. If not I hope my feeble attempts have kept Kalkan alive for those reading this blog.

Thank you so much to those of you who have posted over the summer, I've enjoyed each and every holiday report. it's certainly kept me going when the challenges of work get you down. Count down now for next May! 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »
Fab reports, janeb...just caught up with them and really enjoyed reading what you've been up to. Where we stay in Kalkan overlooks the top terrace at Oasis and we hardly ever see people there, so its good to hear its a well patronised hotel.
Hope you enjoy Gourmet tonight :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »
Was yesterday really your last day  :o

Oh no - I will miss your fab reports and thank you so much for taking the time to post. The Oasis looks lovely (I've googled it) and we may try a meal there in April if it's open. Hope you had a fantastic last day and I wish you a safe journey home.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Just the two of us (part 2)

Started by janeb on Holiday Reports and Reviews

14 Replies
Last post July 12, 2015, 09:59:20 PM
by Mrs M!
xx
Joycie Part 2

Started by joycie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2013, 12:48:59 AM
by joycie
xx
The delights of renting (Part 1)

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

124 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 06:34:25 AM
by Christina
xx
New home in Kalkan Part 2

Started by Mike on Living In Kalkan

9 Replies
Last post September 20, 2015, 12:31:23 PM
by Christina

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

EK 70s Night

Views: 3699
By: Enjoy Kalkan
The Lads - "Ollie"