Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!  (Read 66796 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkan: I don't like it - no, I love it!
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »
Hi Joanna!
Thanks for tracking me down and welcome to EK!
Yes, it was an amazing trip and we are all so pleased we tried it - and met you.
Jo was oozing over pictures of your hot tub earlier today,

Offline Joanna

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »
Excellent. She obv found my owners direct site. Now the refurb is finished I need to get some proper photos done.
My lot did the quad bike safari near Patara beach this morning and absolutely loved it! They were picked up from the villa at 9:30 and big home until 12:30. Great value and great fun!
Villa Sapphire - 4 bedrooms, 4 shower rooms, own pool, large hot tub.

Owners Direct - http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8167767
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/villasapphire.kalkan
AirBnB - http://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/7984981

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »
Another good day out Antler.   Glad you made it up to the castle on the Kekova trip.  A lot of people don't try for it and miss a fabulous view and a real piece of history.  It is also much easier to get to the top now you have to pay an entrance fee and steps have been built a lot of the way, making it less perilous.   Still a climb and pauses for breath needed by those of us not known for our fitness!   I claim I am only pausing "to look at the view".   I do a lot of that pausing "to look at the view" even in Kalkan itself.

Yelkin Bistro seems to have ticked the right boxes again.

Hope you have had a wonderful day today and a safe comfortable journey back to UK tomorrow.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2015, 05:33:52 AM »
Day 16/17: Preparing to leave…
It had to be a couple of eggs for breakfast, here on The Roof, with fresh bread lightly covered with Krem Peynir. It would be back on the grapefruit diet tomorrow – the thought of which, kind of appealed.

I cooked the remaining chicken breasts and fed them chopped up and still warm, to the waiting kittens and mum up on the wall of The Shack. Their Wall had become like My Roof and they already had grown to get used to me whistling out to them and would jump up excitedly, yet wanting to jump away from me at the same time. They liked me but they didn’t trust me. Boy, how they have grown over these 2 weeks. At least they have had a little better start to life and I could not have wished more than to have been a tiny part of that.

Us blokes had a chore to do this morning – but it was hardly a chore. One by one we filed across to Jasmine to be given The Works. I went first at 10am. Mehmet was waiting for me and we sat and chatted over an apple tea, first. Where had these last two weeks gone, we debated?  What I love about dealing with the Turks – and I mean this most, I suppose, from the business viewpoint – is their sense of directness. None of this British “going around the houses”, just say what you mean. Yusuf last time telling me I was too fat, Mehmet telling me 2 weeks ago that every time he cuts my hair it is a little more grey. I love it. Say what you really mean.

Oli went second, then Rick, for his first Turkish shave and treatment. Later, back at Yellow Villa he was still reliving the incredible sensations as he had got his face “sorted”. Mehmet knows too well how to sort your face – in fact, he sorts your head.

I popped along to Kaya to warn them there would a high demand for Calamari at our 1:30pm lunch time booking. Erol was grateful for that and the Young Chefs asked me, with the widest of grins, if my expensive watch from the market was still working. They laughed as the translation was relayed through Erol, that if I whack it hard enough, on at least 3 occasions during the day, it will be telling the right time. I enjoyed the joke, I loved their company more.

Final stop at the Wine & Beer shop to arrange collection of the crates to return the deposit and then, back home for some R&R by The Pool.

We were only a tad late for lunch at Kaya and quickly ordered what Kadir had suggested we had – plates of Calamri and Duck Spring Rolls to share. Rick also tried the Chicken and Sweetcorn soup, another great addition to the lunchtime menu here.

Kadir did a few tricks, just amazing professionalism, with Jo’s ring ending up attached to a key ring in Karid’s trouser back pocket. Almost too scary to believe, but setting us up for our final afternoon in the villa pool and on The Roof.
Realising we had over egged how much brandy we would use, I decanted one bottle into another to make a full litre and bobbed it over to Mehmet at Jasmine. He could not thank me enough and also for the gift we had dropped in for his daughter. With a thump on my back and a touch of both cheeks, he sent me on my way. That was hard.

Up on My Roof, there was then to be the last sunset and it was always going to be this way. My mind was gradually changing from, “What shall we do today?” to, “what the hell have I got to do today and how quickly?” back at the office. It’s amazing how the mind governs you in this way.

With my iPhone on private speakers, feet up on the roof terrace wall, I flipped down the Playlists of my new, iTunes toy. What would be appropriate for this final sun going down? Ollie Murs “Up?” Nah, that was best on full volume as I danced around the huge ottoman bathroom, having my shower. Robin Thicke “Blurred Lines”?  Nah, that was the theme tune for our 2013 holiday at Villa Kismet, when I made The Kids laugh coming onto the terrace when cooking, wearing an apron and very little else. Naughty Daddy.

Nope, this one would be the best to wrap me up with the right sentiment for the going down of my sun, today; The Prayer, duet with Josh Groban and Celine Dione.

“I pray you'll be our eyes, and watch us where we go.
And help us to be wise in times when we don't know
Let this be our prayer, when we lose our way
Lead us to the place, guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe”

Yeah, that was it, that was bringing the sun down into the hills high above Kalamar Bay, perfectly…

Oh, go on you two, deliver me your final blow:

“…and watch us from above
everyone finds love
We hope each soul will find
around and inside
another soul to love
Let this be our prayer
Let this be our prayer, just like every child”

And the sun had gone.

To get this stuff out of the way all at the same time, I went over to the wall at The Shack and fed the kittens supper; a real treat, being half a giant tin of tuna. Mum looked at me, closed her eyes as if to say thanks and opened them again, waiting to jump away from the chunks of tuna if I moved too quickly.

I took a photo and WhatsApped it to Bex in the UK. “Aaah Dad, look at them, how they have grown?!  Thank You!”

Then, I left them for good, to enjoy their meal and hopefully, a nice life ahead in their world.

Town has changed this weekend and the streets are noticeably busier. So was Yali when I bought the large tin of tuna earlier. Lots of people, white people with loaded trollies: “Darling shall we get some proscuito?  Or, how about Smoked Salmon?”

I jumped in saying “I’d stick to the tuna!”, holding up my one kilogramme tin, New Tourists looking at me as though I was weird. And they were probably right.

We weren’t that late for our final dinner at Paprika, Orlando calling out my name the moment he spotted us approaching. “Give us ten minutes, please?” I requested as we dipped into the gift shop opposite to get some cookery books and “silk” purses to give as gifts back home.

Paprika was packed and service had to be maintained. The pressure was on and you could feel just that. High up here on the roof terrace, packed restaurants were all around you, the smoke form the kitchens filling the night air. I Facebooked some photos as we waited for our meal.

Mrs A and I did a complete repeat of our first meal in Paprika the other day. Shared Calamari (the best Calamari I have had in Kalkan this year), followed by a perfectly cooked Chateaubriand, but with no side of peppercorn sauce this time. We shared to allow others to feel the melt in their mouths, too. God, I’m gonna miss this; I’m gonna miss it all.

Apple tea saw us on our way, declining the complementary licquers, in favour of a quick purchase of some lanterns in the gift shop under Kosk. And then to bed.

So here I am, just gone 7am and the dawn of a new day. A new holiday for some, another day of work for some others. It’s time to leave the place I have grown to really love, where I could never live, but always leaves me wanting more. A place where positive feelings and energy lifts me to a level I want to always be, yet fall down from so many times.

Yeah, that’s why I love Kalkan, because it lifts me from my mire. How powerful is that, to have that effect on people, on life.

When you see those guys in Paprika, treating us they did again last night, crazy photos, crazy acts, funny lines, if you observe, as they are almost out of your sight,  they go in to a huddle and congratulate themselves, chanting, stamping their feet, ready to do it all again. They celebrate their success and this is no accident. They know the real importance of lifting you from your mire.

Goodbye Kalkan and thank you. I arrived 16 days ago, all bent and broken and I’m leaving now in a much better place.

I’m leaving with an even greater love of Kalkan and wanting to be back.

And that is exactly where I had hoped I would be.

See you again.

Inshallah.

Antler
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:29:55 AM by antler »

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2015, 07:39:52 AM »
"You get a strange feeling when you are about to leave a place.  You will not only miss the people you love, but the person you are now, at this time and this place, because you will never be this way again. But you are excited at the person you are swimming towards and look forward to the new you that awaits in the distance."  (Azar Nafisi)

Have a safe journey Antler & family and thank you for your lovely reports!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »
My pleasure and thank YOU for the lovely quotation.
Best Wishes from Monarch Check In...

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2015, 08:57:19 AM »
Thank you for taking time out of your family holiday to share such entertaining, colourful, amusing and at times moving reports.
Safe journey home Antler and family.  :)

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2015, 09:00:07 AM »
Oh no it can't be that time already! :'( I have so enjoyed my mornings with a cuppa and reading your wonderful daily blog. Thanks so much for taking precious time to allow us a window into your fab holiday  ;)

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »
Thank you so much for taking precious holiday time to do your daily blogs.  Safe journey back and sorry I can't help but say eeh bah gum Antler you have been awesome!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
Apologies - it was Paprika last evening, rather than Coriander. But I rate them both highly and my top greatest finds this holiday. (Had to rush he blog today to get here, The Sunset Bar in Departures, where I have remortgaged the house for a Vodka Coke. So what, we are, after all, on holiday)

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2015, 01:29:50 PM »
Thank you so much for taking time out of your precious holiday to write your wonderful blogs for us.  I have looked forward to reading them over my lunch at work each day, keeping the holiday spirit going just a little bit from my holiday in May.  With those of us who love Kalkan so much we can picture exactly where you are when you describe so well the places you have been. :) :) :)
Jo

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2015, 02:39:53 PM »
Well as they say in my home city...."I'm devo'd" which loosely translates as "I am very upset"
How quickly has that time gone...?
I have loved LOVED...LOVED...your wonderful blog and honoured to have been a teeny part of it - and of course your holiday :) I've said it before and I make no apologies for saying it again....you should write a book - you have such a talent for painting a 4D picture with words. Truly special :-*
Safe, uneventful flight back to UK - you are probably home now - let me know how you found Monarch (still teetering on the edge of booking next year's flights with them...)
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and what you have been up to over the past 17 days.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2015, 03:07:43 PM »
Thank you Antler for your fab reports, you will be missed, hope that you all had a safe journey home, and will look forward to more blogs when you next return to Kalkan!  :D

J

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2015, 04:13:30 PM »
Oh wow where has that gone? I have so looked forward to your wonderful reports. We're still sailing on the wonderful Bridgewater Canal currently moored at Lymm in Cheshire. It's pouring with rain but I've so loved your reports that the litter patter on the boat roof doesn't seem to matter. Thank you.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
At Leeds Bradford Internstional Airport, safely back in the UK and feeling absolutely....sh1te!

I need a Vodka Coke!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
Antler.......it has been a real pleasure reading your daily blogs. Thank you.

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2015, 07:32:21 PM »
Welcome home Antler and family. It has all been said already in the above posts but can I also say thank you so much for taking your precious holiday time to share with us your Kalkan journey of fun, laughter, good food and drink and of course the people who make Kalkan what it is. As readers we all love the place as much as you do but I have always struggled to put into words what is so special. You have managed to do this.

Tomorrow morning is going to be a sad one for more than just you. I will miss my daily fix so much and hope somebody else picks up the baton although it will be difficult shoes to fill.

Until 2016.

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »
Hope you're home safe Antler & crew...our turn at Monarch check in tomorrow will carry your words & our memories of a lovely place, that is Kalkan!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »
Yes Kuzu, safe, slice and well at home, with fabulous memories.

Monarch were great. Hope you enjoy evey moment.

Best Wishes

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2015, 09:44:12 PM »
Thanks Antler, enjoyed reading all your posts.  I look forward to being lifted from my mire  in September.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I LOVE KALKAN

Started by JacquiB on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 09:02:20 PM
by Kefgirl
xx
Everything I love about Kalkan encapulated in one photo!!

Started by goonernumber1 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 05:05:06 PM
by Mrs B
cheesy
Hi, I am new to site, but not to Kalkan (5 times) Love it!!!!!

Started by Mandee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 08:58:14 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Lets go back to basics...what do you love about Kalkan?

Started by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 02:48:00 PM
by tortoise lady

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal