Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New Scam  (Read 4089 times)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
New Scam
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:29:31 PM »
Thought I should warn others about a new (or at least new to me) scam.

I received an email purporting to be from a David Radcliffe claiming he had booked to stay at our villa and asking for the exact address and directions. I replied as although I didn't recognise the name we often get follow up mails from other members of the party asking follow up questions about the villas or Kalkan.

I then received a reasonably convincing mail claiming to contain the booking details in an attached Word document.

Fortunately my antivirus software flagged the attachment as dangerous and a little digging on the internet soon found that this was another scam - if you open the attachment it will take you to a fake log on screen which if you use will capture your password and then hijack your account.

Alan

I

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12757.0

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
Re: New Scam
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:08:52 PM »
Thanks for the warning alantj.   We have had a few scam e-mails, although not any saying they had an actual booking so this is a new version.   As far as I can remember we never had these scams in the past although we have been letting for some years now.   It is good to have your reminder to be ever vigilant.   Hope anyone who has bought recently and has started to let will take note of the various scams around.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
If anyone you don't know sends you a Word/Excel etc document - ask them to resend it as an rtf (Rich Text File),  it should still have the same information, but Macros can't hide in it.  There is a Microsoft patch to prevent Word doing undesirable tbhings in RTF files, and should be applied.

However, there are caveats.  From Kaspersky Lab:

1. Install the proper patches in a timely manner for use with the text editor, especially if they concern working with RTF documents.
2. It is absolutely necessary to check RTF documents using an anti-virus containing the latest updates of the anti-virus database.
3. Under no circumstances start up the contents in RTF documents directly from the links to any files.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
There is also a danger if you send out Word documents to people as part of your booking process....a scam enquirer can then put all kinds of bogus stuff in it, which you could inadvertently open when you get it back from them. Solution: use an online booking system.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »
Hi anyone had an email from Carol Noah?  I've just received an email telling me she has attached the booking form I asked her to sign.  I have never heard of this eprson - I'm assuming a scam and haven't opened the PDF doc.  Any advice? I don't advertise on ownersdirect??

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 03:11:41 PM »
If in any doubt don't open the document.   Try asking her some questions, e.g. when did she receive the booking form from you (you will be able to check from your own e-mails if you even sent any that day re Kalkan), dates she was hoping to book (so you can check your own bookings list), ask her to e-mail you again with her names, address and phone number.   Hopefully if she does reply it will become clearer from her answers whether she is genuine or not.

I have not heard of Carol Noah although have received a few scams this season.   

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 09:36:11 PM »
It's the scam the booking form contain's malware and a fake Gmail login screen that will capture your account password and immediately lock you out if you try to logon.

I have now had around a dozen similar mails - 3 just today - most included the following

Subject: Re: booking contract signed, payment done

Text:   Sorry for delay but i was on a business. Please find attached the contract booking signed that you sent me. Thanks  Mary

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »
Thanks both for your replies. alantj the exact same wording, I've deleted the email.
Thanks again.

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »
I will not charge you for this free consultation (joking)  :)

Whenever an e-mail looks suspicious or as general precaution, check the e-mail headers. Almost any e-mail browser has the option to show the headers, which don't appear by default because too technical. However, they are important because they show you who, what, when the e-mail was sent. If the e-mail chain doesn't match the sender address or it comes from a bogus (it shows a different e-mail server address), then be cautious on opening any attachments or click on any link because there might be the possibility that it's a phishing attack or a malware or a virus. It helps but still doesn't fully protect from IT infections.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 10:39:49 PM »
I'm not IT savvy so my simple rule is not to open any attachment or click on any link unless I'm absolutely sure of it's origin.

For most of us that only have one property we know who has enquired and who's booking, they perhaps are hoping to catch those who have multiple properties or agents and so don't have the same grasp.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another scam

Started by tortoise lady on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post July 30, 2016, 01:53:18 PM
by Cosetta
sad
Is it a scam?

Started by leesyloo on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 02:42:20 PM
by Kefgirl
xx
Scam or genuine ???

Started by onelove on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 08:42:13 PM
by alantj
xx
Rental Scam - or is it...????

Started by felicity on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 02:24:59 PM
by fidimax

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Such cute ducks

Views: 3664
By: jinfizzz
Meis