Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Building works  (Read 7365 times)

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Building works
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »
Getting a little concerned about reports of dust and noise from building works. Is this taking place down by the harbour where the fire was or elsewhere? We are due in Kalkan in ten days time for half term and I'm getting visions of waking up in the middle of a building site.  I've been at this time before and the season was well underway but I've been amazed to hear some talk of work continuing until 15th of this month or even 25th! This seems like madness. Can anybody tell me the extent of the disruption or have any updates on when it may end?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12734.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Building works
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »
I'd like to know this too Lola! I know this year has been very difficult for one reason or another but I kind of expected Kalkan to be "ready" by now......8 days and counting till we arrive and I wasn't expecting building to still be going on. I'm hoping that there will be a sudden spurt and things will miraculously be perfect next Wednesday!  ::) was rather hoping the beach would be ready and that beach clubs etc would be open....but still no reply from Palm Beach. Never been so early to Kalkan before but used to holiday in Minorca at this time of year when the kids were little and things were always just as you'd expect!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:14:28 AM »
There is still building work going on in and around the Kalkan area, all is supposed to end on the 15th & those of us who have had to suffer it all through the winter are also hoping it will finish by then. The really noisy stuff finished on the 1st May. There is still dust etc about but this also cleared by the 15th. Can not comment on the harbour area as haven't been down for a look for over a week, but understand from a friend there is still some work going on at the moment. We have had several sites near us, one is  finished, 2 are still being worked on, they start approx 7pm every morning & continue sometimes till late but fingers  crossed  it is about to end.

Kalkan is ready for you all, maybe not 100% at the moment but it things change here by the day, so worry not, you will have a great holiday.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:06:15 AM »
Well I'm certainly ready for Kalkan!  ;D
Fingers crossed it will all be finished by 15th both for those of us who are coming on holiday and those of you who live in Kalkan. In my ideal world, all the building will have stopped, the harbour area will be cleared with some lovely plants and seats......oh and there would be a pop up Kleo so I can sit with one of their lovely mango mojitos watching the sunset!!  :angel:
Ps there would also be sun beds with cushions on the beach!! This just transformed the town beach for me last year!

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
Went to the harbour today. Lots of work still in progress. Where the restaurants were before the fire there is currently a mound of earth 4m high and 30m long. Behind that they are working on the foundations of the new development. Very large area as they have chopped right back to Salt and Pepper and Korsan. The former is closed with girders holding the building up as it's hanging several feet over the crevice. The beach seems a little uncared for at this moment. Litter and dog mess, no parasols. Overall it feels the bottom end is still getting ready. Hasn't had the same feel as normal for this time of year. But they do work quickly so hopefully they will improve the situation asap.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:39:43 PM by chickengeorge »

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »
We are usually in Kalkan for the first two weeks of May and not thought the building work that much of an issue.  I am sure for those of you that have to live with it all winter it is quite different.  Will be flying out on Friday 15th May so hopefully not building works at all to contend with.  As long at the sun is shining and the Efes is cold we will be happy.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »
Babs, Palm Beach looks open on their FB page - as of 10th May. It was June last year before the town beach got levelled and parasols/beds put out  but in previous years it has been mid May - you know how it is ::) I wonder about the cushions this year as I understand they were stored in Kleo...not sure if that's true or not? Do let us know when you're there as I will leave our roll-up bed cushions at home.
As the harbour works probably falls outside of the general building work it may continue past this Friday - certainly in order to make the rockface secure for businesses above.
Getting lots of messages from our Turkish friends now saying they are ready for the new season....feeling a bit giddy!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:57:56 PM »
As you say Lola plenty of dust around in the air and on ground! Building work continuing a plenty. 15th was finish date last year, we shall see this year! One thing is for certain, there is no way the harbour will be finished by the 15th and to me looks really doubtful by the end of the month. Even if the beach was ready, and it isn't, I wouldn't want to sit next to a building site. As chicken george says there is a huge pile of rubble (which will need quite a few lorries to remove it) and a large area of concrete footings freshly laid. They haven't even started the retaining wall yet which itself will take weeks of work.  As to the plants and seats, perhaps next year babs.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
I cnt help but feel disappointed that the beach is cleaned and ready but things do change day to day.....and surely that as most visitors are British people in Kalkan must be aware that half term is coming up? Although as K4E says it didn't seems to speed them up last year. I must have contacted the wrong Palm Beach facebook page (they seem to have lots!) as they haven't replied to my message! So as the beach isn't ready looks like I'll be keeping "our sun bed" warm for you K4E!!  :laugh:

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
There is another lovely part of the beach area to try away from the building, Pinar Cafe & this year another one next door Kalkan Cafe, (think that is the correct name) they both serve food, Pinar support the local students for university, they do not sell beer but the other one does. The views over the beach & over the bay are fab together with it being quiet. They may not have posh seats  & tables but the location is great.

Am afraid that the changes in Kalkan it seems, are mostly for the tourists, so whether you like them or
not  if you are one, then they are being done for you, certainly not for the residents whether they be foreigners or locals. 

Had a nice shower of rain today so that has settled some dust, could have done with a bit more really for the gardens & giving Kalkan a good wash down, very few boats out if any, as sea too rough & many cancelled their trips, some of the owners we spoke to this morning say it's not a good start to the year but they are looking forward to the  next few weeks, so are we as we need our boat trip.

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 06:01:05 PM »
Hi All
I was in Kalkan last week ..Yes the harbor area still had the heavy machinery working on making the wall safe. However they work at a very fast pace and we saw lots of progress in our time there.
All the restaurants were open weather was amazing .. the only other building work i saw was the Rhapsody hotel, the area was a mess but again they were working day & night to Finnish it . it reopens on the 25th May.
I'm sure by now Kalkan will be ready for you all, although I'm very sad at the devastating loss of all the bars & restaurants i still had a lovely time in beautiful Kalkan.
 :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
Thanks for the positivity, pattaya, I'm sure you will have put Babs' unease to rest with that one... I have clicked to say thanks and to you Babs for keeping our bed warm at Palm Beach...and yes they do have a group page as well as their own page on FB

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 06:16:59 PM »
Despite what people are saying I'm 100% sure that area of the harbour will not be ready for anything for some time. Work on any retaining wall has not started yet and it's at least 5-6m in height. All work is currently on the foundations. Some Turkish friends are also saying that Kalkan is suffering from the council being located in Kas now. They may have different priorities. However they still managed to double the council tax.

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 06:46:21 PM »
Agree completely about the harbour chickengeorge. There's weeks of work there yet and I've seen no evidence of a "fast pace". Altough it was a bad winter we were here in February and there was plenty of opportunity to work on the harbour bit it wasn't touched.
Building work continues at the Rhapsody, Happy, and quite a few villas and apartments, despite the fact the Belidiye announced construction should end on 1st May this year.

Offline JonJon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
Work at the fire site is a major civil engineering project &, no doubt, took time to design & get approval.  Much reinforcement being laid now & I expect concrete trucks will start delivering soon.  The retaining wall proper will take even more time - reinforcement & formwork needed.  Will it be over by 15 May - in my opinion NO!
It will be essential that work continues through the summer to stabilise everything (especially Salt & Pepper) so those who want an end to the work must also wish for another collapse!
As to the beach - a machine was working there a few days ago spreading & "levelling" stone but the result at the moment is very poor.  No sign of sun beds or sun shades & with the overall condition I doubt anyone would want to linger!
People query Palm Beach Club - at the moment their ferry boat is still out of the water & being worked on in the harbour.

Offline JonJon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »
Further to my last!
Although the fire damage site is obtrusive it does not detract from Kalkan's usual attractions.  Don't let it & other doom & gloom talk put you off!!!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 08:53:19 PM »
 caradog..... There have been numerous reported reasons  through out the winter why work was not commenced re the harbour mainly from what we can understand political ones, even those involved ie the losers of their businesses can't answer the questions. Today, we saw like others, work being carried out  on the destroyed area by builders/construction workers including a plumber we know, seemingly working on what appears to be foundations, we hope this will lead to the the safe retaining wall behind.  Agree with others there is little chance of this work being completed before the end of this month. Just to make it safe & not an eyesore will be a bonus.

Yes we have had a large increase in our council tax & not a lot to show for it.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »
I've posted a photo I took this morning on the Facebook page

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 09:20:29 PM »
 Thanks, Pompeyalbie. I've just had a look but I can't see it. Do you mean on the FB page for Enjoy Kalkan?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Building works continue

Started by Tomcat on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 04:55:10 PM
by Tomcat
xx
Road Works - D 400

Started by maryjane on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 09:00:02 PM
by Roxie
xx
Road Works

Started by misty on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 02:11:16 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Road works

Started by alshepuk on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 10:48:05 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

DSCF0321.JPG

Views: 3288
By: fidimax
Kalkan