Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Heart Attack Hill  (Read 5533 times)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Heart Attack Hill
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »
Excellent idea Jon - and I have a question about something that''''s been worrying me and my partner  ???.  How steep is the hill that some call "heart attack hill"?  We''''re staying at the Emir apartments.  How long will it take two not very old, but very unfit, people to walk up from the harbour and/or the restaurants? 

Is it really that steep?  :o   I guess the answer might just have to be stopping for a refreshing Efes or two on the way back up...in which case, what would be the best route?! 

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1254.0
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:33:20 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Heart Attack Hill
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:23:31 PM »
Hi Rachey - heart attack hill is steep - no getting away from that - and I walk up it slowly...!!  However - it is NOT the only route back up through town - but it is the shortest and quickest and steepest....!!  So - the answer is simple - just avoid it by coming up from the harbour through the centre of town and past the bars and shops and take it a bit longer..!!  To get back to the Emir apartments - it is not the only way - you have a choice...!!  If you do choose to walk up heart attack hill - there is not much up there - but you can stop for an EFES at the No Name bar - half way up it - you can''''t miss it....alternatively if you make it all the way - you can stop at the Foto nun yeri (I think its called) just by the taxi rank - or the Kaya restaurant just off the 2nd roundabout on your way home.!!

Don''''t worry - you don''''t have to dread doing that hill...there is another way..(as they say.!!) LOL - have a lovely time in Kalkan!!   ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:33:36 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:47:24 PM »
Thanks so much for the reassurance Felicity.  This is more than excellent news, as it means I can legitimately tell my OH that we simply have to walk past the lovely shops on our way home!  I''ve been reading on the forum all about Infinity jewellers (aka Blue Lizard;s most favourite shop  :laugh: ) and I''ll just have to make sure our route takes us past Infinity! 

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:57:31 PM »
i would gladly scale the north face of Mount Eiger if it kept the mrs away from Infinity! ;) :D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:46:04 AM »
It is a hill and a 1/2 more so in the heat, but for us Yorkshire folk used to hills it really isnt that bad, but then we dont walk up the Yorkshire hills in 40c+. The long way round is still steep but plenty to stop and look at on the way, and on the plus side it does burn the horrid calories from all the yummy food, and drink.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 05:44:49 PM »
Rachey, I swear halfway through your holiday, you''ll be power walking up the hill no problem  ;D ;D

Take it slowly the first time and stop as many times as you like, pointing to something non-existent in the distance as if you were stopping for a "ooh look at the view" moment. There''s no getting away from the fact Kalkan is hilly, but like Holidayfever we''re used to hills at home (we live in Wales) - just not the incredible heat  :laugh:
Be prepared to be a lather of sweat when you reach the top - plays havoc with the mascara and any attempt you might have made at blowdrying your hair. We stayed up by Emir last year and I loved the fact I could eat and drink to excess and still fit into my clothes  8).
The hills have their benefits, although after the first couple of days your calves will tell you otherwise  ;)
We do, however prefer the route that takes in Ice Sultan, Infinity and Moonlight...
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »
i recommend buying an ice cream down at the harbour and aiming to get to the top of the hill before finishing it :) also strangely find that walking half of it backwards helps as well ??? no idea why and not to be recommended if on your own as you need someone to warn you about traffic/people/other hazards as you can''t see what''s in front of you. It is do-able though and I am an extremely unfit smoker  :-[

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 06:29:04 PM »
That hill up the the Emir is a doddle compared to our epic climb home!  UP Kalamar Road past the Asfiya, Up the horrific steep bit to the Elixir, then you hit a bit of a straight bit which is deceptive as turning right and looking UP means we have a further Everest like climb til we reach our pool (this is the steep road leading to The Suneil Villas and Apartments which we then pass and climb 50 steps UP to our front door, then UP to the Roof Terrace!

By now we have worked off the aperitifs, the dinner, the wine and the drinks we now need to recover!!

The best diet in Kalkan, and so worth in when we sit on the roof terrace, look at the Magic View and sit looking up at the Myriad of stars above us, sipping a cold G n T!  ;D

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 11:22:36 AM »
The easiest way from the harbour is to start to walk up cardiac arrest hill and on the right you will see a steep flight of stairs. Go up the stairs (slowly) and this will have you half way up the hill. You then can walk the rest of the way through the town with stop off''s for Efes, Angora or G & T''s. My 88 year old dad has managed it this way and finds the steps easier than the steep slope !!!!!!! Alternatively get a restaurant to book you a taxi and have the Efes, Angora or G & T on your terrace back at the Emir. You can join us for a drink on our terrace at the Emir if we are staying in our apartment when you are there (the large covered terrace by the pool).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cutting Edge- attack of the Trip Advisers

Started by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on The Everything Else Area!

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 01:36:59 PM
by Alfaman
xx
How far up the hill?

Started by Ruth Carroll on Accommodation and Hotels

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 08:39:29 AM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Castle hill

Started by Kalkan-Fan on Accommodation and Hotels

0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 08:15:19 PM
by Kalkan-Fan
xx
Hill above Kalkan - with Turkish flag?

Started by tkmaxx5 on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 04:54:13 PM
by tkmaxx5

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal