Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Newbie to Kalkan  (Read 2940 times)

Offline lastlaststar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Another Newbie to Kalkan
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »
Hi Everyone.

So in August myself and girlfriend are venturing to Kalkan for the first time. We've booked it as a last minute holiday looking for somewhere to relax and enjoy a nice holiday, kalkan looked perfect compared to some of the more busy tourist destinations.

We're staying at the Kalamar hotel, booked a duplex room after reading the good reviews. Is the hotel nice, also was wondering how the walk is into town from the hotel? I understand its about 20mins?

Booked a transfer with Define Tours from the airport, are they reliable?

Any recommendations on things we should do and see? We have a few days out in mind, sea kayaking, diving, etc.

We're here for 10 days and would like to experience as much of Kalkan as possible.

Thanks...

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12283.0
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:49:53 PM by lastlaststar »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
Re: Another Newbie to Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:03:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  There is so much to experience that it's impossible to write it in one post! Have a read through trip reports to get some ideas.  I can't speak of the hotel or the transfer folks, but you should be ok.  We're in Kalkan right now and it is a massive drag to stop relaxing and go and do something! The beach clubs are worth a visit, boat trips are a great way to spend a day, so are the evening BBQ trips.
Well it's 8am here and the sun has just come over the mountain side so I can't see this screen too well.....where's the factor 30?........

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:39:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum.August is very hot,which is against doing a  great deal,at that time of year..........However,things to do are................

Doing a boat trip is fantastic,daytime or an evening cruise.
Go to Saklikent gorge with the refreshing waters.
Plenty of possibilities to go diving........dive boats round the harbour
Plenty of drinking
Plenty of fine cuisine
experience a beach club,at least once.......our favourite is Palm beach club in Komurluk
Go to Patara beach..easy to get to........there are fab ruins there also but a little hot in August!!
Go to Meis greek island
Go to Islamar (not far out of kalkan) and go to a trout farm/restaurant

A few choices for you,but enjoy it whatever you get up to

You will love Kalkan,the warm reception you will get........so come back next year for three weeks (still wont be long enough,i bet !!)

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/turkey/TK4455.htm?src=

Offline henty0

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
We are flying back to Kalkan for the 2nd time on the 8th August, to be honest we gave the kids the option of where they wanted to go and they wanted to go back! Managed to get into the same complex as last time, so kids are happy with the 5 pools and both excited for the markets to get bargain designer look alike, even at 16 and 13 they know lots about clothes and are satisfied with the replicas as they are so good! Food is fab wherever you eat and the hospitality is amazing! You will not be disappointed! We went to Patara beach the last time we were there! Lovely but  v v hot! Enjoy!

Offline lastlaststar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »
Perfect, thanks for the advice everyone.

Really looking forwards to getting to Kalkan now... Not long now!!

Another question... Are there any supermarkets located near the Kalamar Hotel? If not what supermarkets are recommended and where are they located?

Thanks

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »
Yali Supermarket has a small shop not far from you, which will be good for essentials. You might want to stock up in the bigger supermarkets - Yali, Kipa & A101 are pretty close together. Bim and Migros are up the hill towards the Bus Station. There are taxis outside all of the supermarkets so it wont be a problem getting a lot of provisions.
Does the hotel have self catering accomodation? Some hotels are a bit funny about bringing in your own food and drink if they do not offer self catering facilities - so best to check.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
Migros and Yali are the biggest supermarkets in Kalkan.......A101 is quite small........Bim is bigger but seems to serve mainly Turkish people.

All of these can be found on Sehitler Caddessi.

Kipa is more in central Kalkan and I would say is 3rd in terms of size....behind Migros and Yali.

You will find slight variances on some products,such as Efes beers,large soft drink,like coke/Fanta and lots of other products.........

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »
Hi Lastlaststar, you've made a great choice by choosing Kalkan and welcome to the forum.

There is so much to see and do you'll be spoilt for choice. If I was coming for the first time, if I did nothing else, I'd definitely do a boat trip and try and get to Patara and Kaputas beaches. I'd eat at a rooftop restaurant as the sun sets and visit the thursday market. I'd say, just go with the flow and have plenty of relaxation too. If you don't fit everytthing in this time - there's always next year. I think we've had about 8 holidays to Kalkan so far and still never experienced a day on the town beach or visited Saklikkent - both are on this years to do list!  :) Mind you we are a bit lazy  ::)

We've used define a few times and they've been both reliable and comfortable.

K4E's spot on, ther's Yali mini supermarket fairly close by and Can Can a little further on. Both are fine for essentials and sometimes have fresh food too eg salad stuff and fresh bread/meat/etc as opposed to sliced bread. A bit hit and miss though sometimes. Definitely sell booze and prices are reasonable.

I've never stayed at the hotel before but walked there last April for a nosy round while they were working on it and it certainly looked nice enough and is in a lovely position above Kalamar Bay. I'm sure you'll love the beach club and you can do watersports there too. The walk into town's not bad at all and you're right, it will take about 20mins. I'd definitley get a taxi back at night in the summer but as I've already mentioned, we are quite lazy! In April, the walk back is fine but too overpowering for me in the heat of summer.

Have a fantastic holiday  - 12 days until we arrive yippee!!!  8) 8) 8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan Newbie

Started by andy c on Introduce Yourself

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Kalkan Newbie

Started by Kalkan Sam on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 05:27:32 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Yet more questions from a Kalkan newbie

Started by amberpop on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 09:06:44 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Newbie thinking of visiting Kalkan concerned about Dogs nuisance?

Started by tonyp on Introduce Yourself

12 Replies
Last post November 24, 2010, 10:42:31 PM
by AllanChris

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal