Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: cost of eating out etc  (Read 3632 times)

Offline mcrterry

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
cost of eating out etc
« on: March 09, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Hi, I am brand new to the forum so please accept my apologies if this is in the wrong place or I make any other mistakes in the post.
We are holidaying in Kalkan this August and it looks lovely. We are a family of 3 (daughter is 13) and wondered how much money we will need for a fortnight. Our evening meal has always been a big part of our holidays so want to make sure we have enough. We are self catering at the Samira and tend to have a light lunch but always at least 2 courses each at dinner with wine and cokes. We are still researching the area but will probably do a couple of trips.
Any advice would be gratefully received

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11888.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: cost of eating out etc
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
Something I would say is pay your bar bill every other day or daily...some people get a shock when they pay at the end of  holidays!! (and it's easier to keep track of what you've had) ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
Are you staying in the Samira Resort just out of town or the Samira Apartments in the centre of town?  If out of town you would also need to factor in for taxis home.  You could walk down hill into town in about 15/20 mins but in August it would be quite a hike uphill in the heat.  There are many restaurants with varying budgets, you can eat very cheaply or dine in any of the fine roof top and harbour establishments.  Even these restaurants IMHO are superb value especially with the current exchange rate.  You'll be spoilt for choice.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:02:52 AM »
You will also be spoilt for choice on the sort of trips you take.I am sure that in August one will involve a boat.You can wander around the old town and the tour companies will explain the trips they offer - Kekova,Meis,Sakilkent,fethiye market to name a few.

My favourite is the Kekova trip - short drive in the countryside,boat over the sunken city,into a cave and various bays,lovely lunch then Simena-a great day out.
Meis is another lovely island to visit, just 20 minutes across the sea from Kas and you are in Greece.

Have a fab holiday.

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »
Budgeting for food bills, for the more expensive roof top establishments, if you allow the same as you would in a reasonable restaurant in this country you will be about right.  There are cheaper places to eat of course if you want to factor some of these in. 

If you are going to take organised trips, these are very good value.  A full day's trip is about £35.00 per head.  Boat trips I think are about £50/60 per person.

Whatever you do, wherever you eat you will have a fab time.  Kalkan is lovely.

Jo

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »
Boat trips were 60 lira per person last year. Excellent value as you get a lovely lunch included in this price.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 04:10:24 PM »
Boat trips will probably be 60tl per person this year across the board (no pun intended  :-[) - we mostly paid 50tl last year, Kalkan regular..? I would be keen to know who was charging 60tl as they will probably up it to 70tl this season :(
Still excellent value ;D
mcrterry, if you use the search facility - see above - there has been some detailed discussion on ballpark costs for eating out in the past which might be useful for you whilst the forum is so quiet
As you aren't going out to Kalkan until later on in the season, I would suggest you keep an eye on the holiday reports on here from the early travellers which might also help you come up with a budget.
As everyone says, you can eat very well in Kalkan and there is something to suit every taste and every pocket.
Hope you have a great trip  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 06:04:12 PM »
The Kekova trip is around £20 per person,which I thought was very good value for money as it included lunch plus coffee and cake in the afternoon.

As for food budgets.You can eat according to your budget.So many restaurants and cafes to choose from!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 06:08:13 PM »
Hi Kalkan4eva. I think you are right, I couldn't remember if it was 50 or 60 lira, a previous poster said £50/60 so I thought I'd better correct it. They do all charge the same price, we were at Fener Cafe last April when we were told the big meeting of boat owners sitting in the café was deciding the agreed price for 2013.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »
It seems to have gone up 10tl every year for the boat trips and Osman is quoting 60tl for Yildiz boat trips this year so they may have already met  :) Yes I saw the £50/£60 post too Kalkan regular  :o  :o

Offline mcrterry

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:57:53 PM »
Thanks for all the tips and advice I really appreciate it.
We are staying at the Samira Resort Hotel and Apartments so not sure if thats in or out of town but tripadvisor suggests its not too far a walk. Great suggestion about keeping up to date with posts as the season kicks in so thank you all once again.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »
mcrterry, the Samira Resort is at the top of the town. so as Charlie says not a bad walk in, all downhill and about 15 mins to the start of the old town proper. Coming back is still walkable but it's a fairly steep unrelenting uphill climb if you take the most direct route which will take you twice as long and the heat of August will have you throwing yourselves in the pool as soon as you arrive back :o If you are fairly fit, it's worth giving it a go and deciding for yourselves if taxis are the better option. Personally we would walk it, not sure our kids would have at that age though... ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cost of eating out?

Started by eobphoto on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 12:24:41 PM
by Skunk
xx
Eating out

Started by Southend on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

8 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 09:16:51 AM
by clara 50
xx
eating out ?

Started by kazaroni64 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

11 Replies
Last post November 01, 2008, 01:22:43 PM
by jarvis108
xx
Cooking in or Eating Out?

Started by Bob & Jayne on Cooking

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 10:24:04 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal