Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Help choosing from restaurant short list!!  (Read 5491 times)

Offline jujujones

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Help choosing from restaurant short list!!
« on: September 10, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
Ok with just 4 nights left to go of our holiday :'( I need to choose our remaining restaurants wisely.
2 of the 4 nights are taken up with The Small House and Korsan fish terrace. So, I have several places that I would like to try but just 2 nights to play with. Some that have piqued my interest but that i have yet to try are: Baharat, Alternatif, The Ivy, White Table, Nar and Gironda. I visited the small house on an earlier trip and loved it hence a return this trip but my fave has consistently been Kalamaki. Can anyone help me choose! I know that it's all very subjective but a little guidance is always good. Prefer to be in old town and not really keen on harbour as find them over priced!! Any help would be super!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11582.0

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Help choosing from restaurant short list!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »
Hi Our fav restaurant is Alternatif every time.Consistent with high standard of service and food quality.Their fillet steaks are unbeatable. Have a really fab holiday

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »
I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but have you tried Gourmet?  My personal favourite this season - opposite Kalamaki. Their Marble Steak is heavenly. Bon appetit!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »
Really love White Table, but for me its an earlier in the holday restaurant, not towards the end.
Like Christina, I love Gourmet. Sakir's menu is one of the best in Kalkan IMO, but I also love Sofra and Ozalp which aren't on your list.....
I know something, I'd rather be where you are having to make this choice...... ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 01:36:18 PM »
Alternatif without question from your list. We always start and end there. Good quality, service and Mustafa keeps a tight ship.  Atmosphere is invariably buzzing - just doesn't have the view - but makes up for it in other ways!

from the list i would select the Ivy, but, going away from that, for the penultimate night, I would go to Pisces.  It encompasses everything about Kalkan - small, family run, excellent quality and price.  And it not pretentious - which we love!!

Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
My vote goes to Pisces too. We went there last night and always go at least once when we are in Kalkan. It's everything Chris says about it. It doesn't seem to get mentioned very often, which is a shame, but it's one of our favourites.

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
Gourmet every time for me, the food, service, ambiance and even down to the glasses and place settings all combined with the best chef Sakir. If you like Kalamaki you will love Gourmet. IMHO

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »
Another vote for Alternatif, Janet has already stipulated we go there on our first night come 17th October. She has also bagged a meal at Agora, I'm claiming Adem's because it wouldn't be a holiday without visiting him & his lovely family and I promised him some English country garden flower seeds for his garden. We've not tried Gourmet or Kalamaki so might add a visit to them for a change. Being late October we might try Small house again just to show our
Kalkan virgin friends what it is like in its unusualness.

Offline Derbyshire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 05:17:46 PM »

Hi we love fish terraces  if you have not try Gironda I would give it a go lovely courtyard for drinks we also like white table gourmet and kalamaki are good ! Also korsan is very good enjoy last 4 days in lovely kalkan  we all ready booked for next year in June and aug can't wait (17 time )

Offline Clive

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:35:05 PM »
The "Olive Garden" is very good, well worth a visit, good food and service.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »
Another vote for Gourmet. Went for the first time in June and would recommend the steak with blue cheese & walnut sauce. Superb...

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »
And another one for Gourmet :)

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »
With so may eateries to choose from , it must be difficult to choose the last few to use before holiday ends, so here is an idea: Go to the KTLN business directory map, click on the  restaurants tab so each eatery has the small red location marker, zoom and print out as an A4  , put on wall and throw a dart, wherever it lands is where you  will be eating on that night, Darts is such fun!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »
Gourmet!!! And 'who let the chickens out'. Have you tried the steak at marina restaurant? I know it's by the harbour but it can't be compared with the harbour restaurants. Not at all pretentious, really reasonable (they do a set menu of 3 courses for 40tl) and the steaks are possibly the best I've ever had in Kalkan.
Kaya does a mean mixed grill and is consistently good.
Out of the ones you mentioned. I'd go for baharat. We had a long wait for food last year but the food was worth the wait.
Let us know where you end up and happy dining!  :)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »
Too many to try and all good!! Love Gourmet, Baharat, White table, Kalamaki, and Alternatif. We've said this year we want to try ones we haven't eaten in so on the list at the moment is Olive garden and Agora.
Nicky

Offline jujujones

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
Just back from the small house and it was even better this time than the last. Really really delicious! It was my OH's first visit as I went with friends the last time and he has promoted it to his fave- though Kalamaki is a close second (so completely different) with Sade snapping at it's heels! In relation to all of your responses- Wow!! Thanks everyone for all your replies. I think I am going to put Alternatif on the definite list as a result! It looks like it has a lovely buzz and that's exactly what we want. We were hoping to go for some new ones so that excludes Sofra which we have tried a few times and always enjoyed,  Olive Garden (what lovely dining experience), Zula (again really nice)  and Agora (food was nice but staff OTT). IN relation to Gourmet, I am so disappointed to say that I have tried it and was underwhelmed. I so wanted to like it.  I was CERTAIN that I would like it, love it in fact that I put it down to an off night and tried it again with a different group 8 months later. And again the whole group that I was with were quite disappointed given the rave reviews. The food was fine and it had all the trappings that I enjoy for a special night out- nice setting, great view, lovely tableware and glasses but it just left us cold. As I have said before, these things are very subjective and I am sure that Gourmet is fab. I may even be convinced to give it another shot on my next trip but for this one I would like to stick to new ones.
Pisces also sounds like a runner- is it very fishy? We are in the Fish Terrace tomorrow and am not the greatest fish lover, though will enjoy it a couple of nights so am a bit wary.
I watched the  people in Baharat from the Small house tonight and it looked busy and full of atmosphere. A lot of food for thought ahem if you'll pardon the pun. I will let you know for sure where we end up. Thanks so much for all your help and any further endorsements/recommendations will be very welcome!!

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »
We went to Gourmet last night and have to say it's our 2nd visit this holiday and it was still superb, as has been said before everyone like different things, but can I ask Juju do you sit on the top tier or the middle because I find the service and ambiance it 100% better on the middle tier. Also we went to Trio last sat night and that was fabulous too, I think they have got back on form this season my OH's steak was to die for.

Offline jujujones

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 10:50:39 AM »
Thanks for that Chrissy1. We were on the middle tier in Gourmet. We were also in Trio last Saturday and I would agree that they seem to have got things back on track. The food was indeed very good!

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »
Lots of fish dishes on Pisces menu, but plenty of meat ones too.
There seemed to be more people in Pisces last night. Perhaps the recommendations have worked.

Offline jujujones

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »
OH not feeling well today so we are going to get a take away and stay put :-(( It's a shame but I suppose that makes that decision easier and it means that I will definitely have to come back to try all of the restaurants that I missed! Thanks everyone and I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow night for our last night!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Restaurant List

Started by Alfaman on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 11:46:01 AM
by Alfaman
xx
Help choosing between Truffle, Emir and Sun Elite please!

Started by summerdreams on Accommodation and Hotels

10 Replies
Last post September 12, 2014, 09:40:39 AM
by Kalkan-Mina
xx
Help please - short notice accommodation

Started by Helshe on Accommodation and Hotels

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 06:12:59 PM
by Helshe
xx
Car availability at short notice

Started by BYBV on Flights and Travel

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2012, 12:08:53 PM
by Pompeyalbie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal