Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Working in Kalkan  (Read 3743 times)

Offline merseydave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Working in Kalkan
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
Hi all,
We're a 50+ and nearly 50 couple wondering whether there are any opportunities in Kalkan to work our way to pensionable age whilst buying a property there?
I have building/maintenance skills aplenty to fall back on, whilst the better half is excellent both in Admin and home furnishing skills.
If necessary I'd take a crash course in Turkish as this would be of great help I'm sure.
Are there any Brits out there doing similar work or do people rely on local services?
Thanks in advance
Dave and Jules

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11573.0
Kalkan..........just ONE of the places we'll have a villa when we win the Euromillions!
Not a full time resident, but getting there!!

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Working in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
Dave/Jules, I do not think you can work in turkey for money, i.e against  the law, I believe you can even get thrown out of country if you are a foreign national and caught working for any type of payment

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »
You need a work permit......google     "Do I need a work permit to work in turkey?"..it's complicated but should answer your question ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »
Further to my previous post, I believe you can work if you are married to  a Turkish  national  and have citizenship, or if you are employed by a Turkish company, but there are many restrictions, and you do need a works visa , very wise advice from  blue lizard  about searching on line as it is complicated

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »
The really short answer is NO you cannot work in Turkey !!!

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »
Alas :o :o :o  Double standards apply, I have several Turkish friends here in the UK who are working (legally) whilst holding Turkish passports/citizenship.   Be very careful and do nothing, it might be the quickest exit/flight ever from Dalaman airport  >:D >:D >:D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
There appear to be quite a few non-nationals working in Kalkan and they will have found their own way around the rules -perhaps chatting to a few of them when you next visit might help? There will be a way but as everyone says its not as easy as turning up with good skills/experience. We also know of people who have come very unstuck after starting a business with a Turkish partner so you need to be careful.
Turkey are not part of the EU - perhaps that will never happen....so the European laws regarding employment in member states do not apply.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
If you decide to go down the just do it route beware the politics of envy....if you become established and are making a success ..someone will eventually dob you in  >:D

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »
All of the above is good advice.

Basically, you can't be seen to be taking a job away from a Turk (you could argue that we should adopt the same principle in the UK, but that will never happen, will it?  ::)

Even playing guitar in a bar here for money is a no-no... I play in a Turkish band, but only for fun, and don't (can't) earn any money from it.

As for actually earning a living here as a foreigner... well, it is sometimes possible to get a work permit, but only if you have a special skill that is in short supply and even then, you would probably need an employer to sponsor you for the work permit -  which in itself is a nightmare process and may or may not be successful.

It is also possible, as a foreigner, to set up a Turkish company and employ Turks, but it is complicated and you can't actually do the "work" yourself - you have to employ at least five Turks for every Brit... although you can of course take a share of the profits from the business. This has been a successful model for some, and that might be why there is a perception that Brits are somehow "getting away with it".... but they are not... they are just working within the rules.

Equally, some British women who have gone into business with Turkish men have set up successful businesses. Others have been left high and dry after taking this route, however.

Frankly, looking at what you want to do, it's pretty much a "NO".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:38:16 AM by MartynE »

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »
There are non turkish people workıng ın Kalkan but I think you wıll find the vast majority are workıng for UK based tour companies or are now turkısh citizens or have work visas.

Any that are none of the above are quickly reported to the authorities and stopped.I know of Englısh people who have work visas but are still reported so its not worth takıng the risk of working ın such a small place without permission.

As for a company actually obtainıng a work permit for you I think the number of turkish they have to employ fırst is over 10 if not more.You dont get a permit and then fınd a job ıts the other way round,you find a job and then they try and get you permission to work for them.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Summer working in Kalkan

Started by KerryLou168 on Living In Kalkan

3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2015, 06:17:06 AM
by DRBD
xx
Is this ite working worse after the upgrade?? or is it just me

Started by kevincat99 on General Discussion

34 Replies
Last post September 28, 2012, 10:19:50 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
6 Sleeps and 4 Working Days to Go

Started by Joeyloveskalkan on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 07:45:12 AM
by chrissy1
xx
Wanted - Frıdge ın workıng order

Started by amber on Classifieds - Wanted

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 09:22:09 PM
by amber

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal