Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: August survival tips.  (Read 5898 times)

Offline lilly

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
August survival tips.
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Hi. Just been reading in a recent topic about Avon hair oil being great for keeping down hair frizz in hot August weather.
I thought there must be lots of other beauty or useful tips on how to keep cool and look your best on Holiday when the heat is on?
I tend to walk about like a damp frizzy panda! How do some girls still manage to look cool? L

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11463.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: August survival tips.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
Goodness knows Lilly as I'm not one of them!!
I have frizzy hair, kankles and usually bits of tissue sticking to my face as I try to continually wipe the sweat away! Oh and a burnt forehead as the factor 50 just melts away and drips into my eyes, but bring it on as we are flying tomorrow. Yay!!!
Any advice would be much appreciated ladies.  :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »
When the weather heats up I carry around a can of Magicool spray.  There is  a Magicool plus version which treats prickly heat.  I even resorted to it a few times this year in London during the heatwave.   It instantly makes you feel cooler. Not a beauty product but such welcome relief when the temperature rises.

There are other versions of this product on the market, Boots I think produce one.  I haven't seen Magicool for sale in Kalkan but it may have found its way into some shops.

Sadly I am not on commission - I let various friends and acquaintances try it this summer and all went off to buy a can.

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
Best, best, best holiday product for me is Urban Decay De-Slick Mattifying Powder. I bought it last year and no longer have a constantly shiny face while on holiday! It's clear powder so is completely invisible on your face and one compact lasts forever. Well, maybe not forever but I only use it on holiday and on nights out so mine's still practically full.

My mum's hair goes really frizzy in hot weather - she embraces the frizz on holiday and just scrunch dries her hair with mousse rather than try and fight nature :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »
Kalkan4eva gets some magic pills for kankles.....I'm sure shell be along soon to remind you what they are and where you can get them!
I think in August it's best just to embrace the whole frizz and glow look and work it!? My question would be what does a woman of a certain age wear during the day in extreme heat and still look glam? I did intensive research while in Dubrovnik but failed to spot any glamorous subjects! Somehow the shorts and top option never looks as 'cool' as it should!  :laugh: :laugh:
One of the reasons I loved Kalkan in October a couple of years ago was that I could go out in the evenings and not drip, stick to the seats, frizz up.....why, I even looked quite normal a couple of times!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
Ok, I posted on the Avon Moroccan Oil hair stuff because I took it with me this year for the first time and it made a huge difference to my frizzy fizzy mess AKA hair.
The Moroccan 360 Hair Masque - apply every other day to your hair (either wet or dry) ususally around 1pm in the afternoon and leave it in until you shower in the evening. I was able to blow dry my hair and it was silky smooth. You can use it every day if you want but I was trying to make it last for three weeks ::)
The Moroccan Oil serum was also great for the ends and hair parting - you only need a small amount and it instantly de-frizzes. Rub a small amount between your hands and smooth down all the areas that offend you.
We all know by now that my best friend the chemist sells magic feet pills - they are frusemid and one every other day stops your feet spilling out over your sandals (bling or otherwise)
Clinique High Impact Curling Mascara does not pandafiy...ever!
Lizzi I also have the bright red forehead thing.....tried everything for that one but no joy :) Any tips on that would e gratefully received.
I use a fan - hand held - that I've had for years to cool down of an evening when walking between bar, restaurant and accommodation. Buy a pack of serviettes (they are no more than a couple of lira from Yali) and take a couple out with you in your bag as they are far more absorbant than tissues and don't break up.
I'd also like a good tip on how to tan the undersides of your arms without looking like a rather large spatchcock chicken :laugh:
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 10:41:07 AM »
Ladies, I can honestly say I NEVER have any problem with frizzy hair. You can share my secret if you like (the clue is in the photo).

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »
can't say its a style any of us would covet, Martyn....my BH has an identical look ;)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
Blimey K4E and my OH says I'm a miracle of modern science! You've turned looking cool into an art form ;D ;D
Martyn your solution is a little extreme.....I'm sure it works just fine for you but I'll stick with fighting the frizz!!  :laugh:

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 10:58:37 AM »
Right... this forum clearly discriminates against the follically challenged.

I'm leaving! Don't try and stop me!

(That's me having a hissy fit by the way).

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
Replaced my stock of kankle pills last month, 2 lira :) tried morrocon argon oil stuff on my hair and worked a treat. Use bare essentials powder on my shiny face. Best thing I got is a Ken Paves "pony tail" gives a really good hair up look with no effort and means I dont need to constantly use straighteners.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »
Ha ha Martyn....I was just thinking that this forum has returned to its usual level.....fun but still informative in its own little way!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:46 AM »
S
Ha ha Martyn....I was just thinking that this forum has returned to its usual level.....fun but still informative in its own little way!  ;D ;D ;D

*sniff* "Speak to the hand... the face ain't listening" *sniff*

;)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
Martyn - you're just after some more thank you's to add to your count, then you can beat me! You're going to have to come up with something a little more sophisticated than that  >:D
Loving the rest of the tips ladies. I know I can't get the Avon products from the airport, but would I be able to find urban decay products in the duty free?
I'm definitely going to use the derrières this time. I gave got some papier poudre from the body shop which are good (like blotting paper with powder impregnated) but they are tiny sheets and I need industrial size!!!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
OMG - serviettes on predicted text came out as derrières!!!  :o

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
Well Lizilu you can use your derriere if you like but not sure how absorbent it would be  :o

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
Martyn - you're just after some more thank you's to add to your count, then you can beat me! You're going to have to come up with something a little more sophisticated than that  >:D

Dammit. Busted ;)

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
Lizilu - they don't sell Urban Decay an Manchester airport, not sure about others. Those little blotting sheets are great! Superdrug and Boots do their own versions - the ones I've seen have all been bigger than Body Shop ones which are teeny!

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
Oh my goodness ladies, sorry Martyn, and gentlemen, don't do this to me now! I'm already in a panic about getting everything sorted and you go and give me another shopping list on what I need to look cool in the heat!  >:(

Like K4E does, I've already been today and done another panic buy, I can't go again!  I guess as a newbie I'll have to take my turn at turning up looking like a damp squid with a shiny face and fat puffy feet. Wont have frizzy hair though, as mine just goes as flat as a pancake so it will be tied back for the whole 2 weeks courtesy of one of those hair scrunchies!   :) Great invention!

Dont worry if you can't see me on Tuesday... I will be there, just look on the floor for the puddle, that will be me melted!   

Actually, I have got some fat feet pills.... thanks for the tip K4E so I might actually be able to wear a few of the 9 pairs of shoes I've packed! :laugh: OH going mad and I know he's right and I'll probably only wear a couple of them, but they are like my security blanket. Did remove my favourite pair of wedges as far too high and I had a vision of a domino effect as I tumbled down the hill taking out a few unsuspecting holiday makers as I went  :laugh:   

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »
Susyq......amid all this amazing advice have you missed the bit that says anything higher than a flip flop is lethal......although there are some who disagree......watching people tottering in their high heels is nearly as entertaining as watching people get out of the sea on the town beach without shoes!  ;D ;D ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
one Thomas cook flight 9th August - 24th August

Started by suzyq1 on Classifieds - Available

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 11:02:05 AM
by suzyq1
xx
first time tips

Started by mcrterry on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post July 16, 2014, 06:09:57 PM
by mcrterry
xx
What are your Kalkan top tips

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 08:25:34 AM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Restaurant tips

Started by Cosetta on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 04:54:39 PM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan view

Views: 2474
By: LancashireLass
Kalkan Harbour