Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What are your Kalkan top tips  (Read 7835 times)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
What are your Kalkan top tips
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »
As the EnjoyKalkan home page is undergoing a refresh, why not share some of your kalkan top tips; things to do, places to see, restaurants to visit, best boat trips... anything you can think of.

If you can use this thread to add as much detail as you can, website links, phone numbers, anything you feel useful and the best ones shall be transferred to the main website

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5270.0

Offline alshepuk

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: What are your Kalkan top tips
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:37:56 PM »
My number one tip would be try a different restaurant every night and don't eat anything you can get at home.  The food is second to none and there are some wonderful Turkish dishes.

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »
My top tip - especially for first timers - is to save up your holiday money and annual leave allowance and go to Kalkan in the first part of the season.  You will love it so much that, like us and so many others - on your return home you'll immediately book to go again later the same year!  Once a year in Kalkan isn't enough.  My other top tip - which I picked up on this wonderful forum - if you like wine is to take a box of wine out with you in your hold luggage.  Then at least you can have a decent aperitif before heading into town for a delicious meal.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »
Top Tip? although many places supply towels ..take an old towel for the beach ..it gets covered in sun oil and sand and you can bin it instead of bringing it home//case is lighter!!

Buy Swiming shorts a size bigger than normal by the second week you wil be glad you did ;D

Boots sell a good Mozzie repellent (repel)in a silver bottle(it's about £6) look out for when they do a 3 for 2 offer which they do every year ;) zzzzzzzzzzzz!!

People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 04:54:07 AM »
My top tip would be, 'Don't leave your brains at the airport' and go rushing off buying yourself a brand new holiday home.
 It's so easy to so fall in love with Kalkan on your first visit that you make the inevitable trip to the estate agents, where you are offered the 'bargain of the century,' the price seems so reasonable and the agent of course is so friendly. DO NOT SNAP UP A BARGAIN, do your homework thoroughly and be a nuisance with your questions. There are hundreds of unsold properties here in kalkan and acres and acres of space to build more and the plans are there to do so.
 Enjoy your holiday, but keep your wits about you.
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »
(1) Turkish bath at Atlantis Wellness tel 0.2428443790 Great way to start your holiday helps ensure the suntan lasts longer!

(2) Buy a turkish cotton towel reasonable prices, dries quickly and doesn't take up too much room in the suitcase  ;D

(3) Take a boat trip

(4) If you go to Saklikent Gorge and are not terribly fit make sure you have a good guide. Young boys offer to guide you but they may not have the strength to get you over some of the humungous boulders half way up the gorge.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:00:38 PM »
1. Ladies, leave your heels in blighty, there's no place for them in Kalkan unless you are an acrobat  :)

2. If you like a slice of lime in your G&T when you're sitting on your balcony, pack a few in your case, limes are not available in Kalkan, green lemons sometimes masquarade as limes in the fruit and veg shops, but don't be fooled  ;)

3. Walk everywhere if you can. You won't need those bigger shorts BL mentions if you walk in and out of the centre of Kalkan a few times a day...

4. Buy your suntan lotions here in UK - Costco has a great offer on Piz Buin - when they've been used up, there's space in the case for a new leather bag  >:D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »
Hi Kalkan4eva, glad to hear about not needing high heels as i've just bought myself a lovely pair of flat sandals for the hols, and pleased to hear you can buy Piz Buin at a reasonable price as we didn't want to take up too much weight in the luggage bringing over suntan lotions. 8 weeks today, sooo excited!!!
Nicky.x
Nicky

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »
Sorry Kalkan4eva, just put my glasses on and have seen that you put buy your Piz buin in the uk!! Can you buy it at a reasonable price in Kalkan do you know?
Nicky x

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
Piz buin,£3.85 at home bargains in bury,thats good.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:51:41 PM by fidimax »
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »
Hi Nicky, there's lots of different brands of suntan lotion in Kalkan - Yali even sells Lancaster but it is VERY expensive. Not sure of the price of other brands as I've never bought suntan lotion whilst we've been there. Can't remember seeing Piz Buin though...Costco are selling two bottles of the All Day Long with two different SPF's and aftersun all for the bargain price of £11! Boots are selling one bottle for that  ::)
There's method in my madness - I put loads of toiletries, sun lotions etc in our cases going out so there's room for lovely bags coming back  ;D ;D ...its my top Kalkan tip (staying on topic, Jon  :-*  )

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
We always buy our suntan lotions from Boots at the airport when we've passed through passport control etc then you can just take them on as hand luggage.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:04:07 PM »
Agree with Mrs EK, only not just suntan lotion. Deodorant, face wash, shower gel, shampoo and any other toiletries Boots sell in liquid form on the air side.
And from M&S before security, sausages, bacon & cheddar cheese. In fact just about anything solid that does for a light lunch. Beware the tinned curries and the like, you will get those confiscated when you go through.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
Thanks for reply Kalkan4eva, i had also thought about getting some suntan lotion from Boots at Manchester airport as Mrs Enjoy Kalkan says.
Nicky.
(it sounds like Kalkan is a haven for handbag shopping!! Could be bad news for my Husband!!)
x

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »
Buy a huge block of Cheddar from Asda at a fraction of the price and pack it in your case...we don't like feta cheese and the cheddar in kalkan is expensive and plasticy tasting ;)

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 07:47:10 AM »
 Buying cheese in Kalkan doesn't have to be a choice between Feta or a plastic pack  of so called cheddar. Every Thursday in Kalkan market there is  a cheese seller with a very wide variety of local cheeses, made from goats milk, sheep milk and cows milk.  Several of them are quite similar in taste and texture to some traditional British cheeses - including cheddar.  These are organic, not expensive and they don't taste of plastic.  The cheese seller allows you to taste each one before buying so you can choose which you like most.

If you want to travel a bit further afield, each Friday, Kas market and Kinik market have even greater varieties of local cheeses and yogurt.  Turkey has over 150 varieties of cheese, should be something to suit every taste.

Support local producers and consider leaving your cheddar at home.

Will

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »
Ater visiting Kalkan for 23 years and Turkey itself for 26years i know what i like ,i have tried all manner of whiffy cheese and prefer English cheddar...I support local producers by buying most other things from markets and local stores but if i want cheddar then thats what i will have.....strange how many ex pats have friends bring out British delights? thats not supporting local producers is it ?...no it's called having what you want.....so rather than pay over the odds for plastic pre-packed cheddar i will bring my own vast lump..i shall also be bringing delights for our ex pat friends who will in turn reciprocate with Efes ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:24:22 AM by blue lizard »

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:39:09 AM »
Have to say, we bring cheese,butter and filter coffee with us. We have done our best to try most things Turkish but it's nice to have a little bit of what you fancy.
Rx

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »
Oh! forgot to add N.Z. sauv.blanc and gin from the duty free.  Duty free in Dalaman when you get there. Is it as cheap as UK duty free? Anyway, if you need some extra, it saves you carrying on to the plane. Cin and Angora- not quite the same, but have muddled through on occasions.
Rx

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 02:00:11 PM »
We find Ciggarettes much cheaper at Dalaman..we usually go buy them while the crush is on at the luggage carousel...then find our cases easily 8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Restaurant tips

Started by Cosetta on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 04:54:39 PM
by antler
xx
first time tips

Started by mcrterry on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post July 16, 2014, 06:09:57 PM
by mcrterry
xx
August survival tips.

Started by lilly on General Discussion

32 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 08:42:54 AM
by Lizilu20
xx
Re: Exchanging money tips needed

Started by nicholaswilson on Money & Finance

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2017, 06:59:51 AM
by Anne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

"Just like that"

Views: 3824
By: alisonh
Thursday market