Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: First time to Kalkan - some suggestions please!  (Read 4436 times)

Offline jonathan_bude

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
First time to Kalkan - some suggestions please!
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:03:10 PM »
Evening everyone - we (myself, my wife and our two teenage daughters) are traveling to Kalkan for the first time on the 19th August, staying in a villa.

We have a few questions which perhaps some of you can answer/make suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

I wonder if you can recommend a good company for us to experience diving - we are beginners but might take the opportunity to take a course while we are there.
Also does anyone know if any of the beach clubs (or anywhere else) have a banana boat as the girls are keen to have a go (not so sure I am though! :))
Finally (sorry to shoot out so many questions in one go) are there any veggie restaurants in Kalkan - or do many offer good veggie options?

Again thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11379.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: First time to Kalkan - some suggestions please!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:13:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum.....how exciting to be getting ready for your first holiday in Kalkan.....be warned....it won't be your last!
Sorry I don't know anything about diving, only know that I think there is a company working out of Kalamar Beach Club.....I'm sure someone will come along and point you in the right direction.
You can do banana rides at Kalamar too and also some different rides there and at Palm Beach....both great with teenagers......speaking from experience as have spent many holidays in Kalkan with teenage daughters and their friends.
Don't think there are any specific veggie restaurants but there is plenty of choice everywhere.....fruit and veg are delicious there and all menus have veggie options, one of my daughters friends is veggie and she loved the food.
Don't apologise for asking questions.....that's what the forum is for!

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:18:30 PM »
Hi Jonathan,

There are no veggie restaurants in Kalkan but everywhere serves veggie meals. I've been veggie nearly all my life and some of the best meals I've ever had have been in Kalkan. The best restaurant for veggies (in my opinion) would have to be Fez. The owner's wife (a Brit) is veggie and has made sure there are some really interesting dishes on the menu. Most places will offer veg moussaka, veg casserole etc but this can get a bit repetitive after a while. Cafe Zula and Korsan Meze are probably the next best in terms of offering great veggie meals.

Can't help with the diving but I think Palm Beach and Kalamar Beach Club both offer banana boats :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »
The Olive Garden is also a good bet for veggies. Lots to choose from :)

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:22:35 AM »
Hi Jonathan, how lucky it being your 1st visit I remember our 1st time it was so magical it brought tears to my eyes, in fact it still does whenever I get there. Down on the harbour there is the Kalkan Diving Centre boat - don't know much about it and not sure if they do stuff for beginners but its worth looking into, maybe they have a website? also further along there is Indigo beach club which has a water sports centre (banana boats and the like) be warned they are not cheap though and think all the beach clubs organise such things and watching some of the kids on them they have great fun. As for veggies I know just about all of the restaurant do veggie options - even thou I am not a veggie I often opt for one just beacuse I don't always want meat, in fact when we visit Mussakka I always at least once have their veg curry which is lovely. Hope you have a great time in kalkan - you will and of course will return as everyone does. Happy holiday.

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:30:46 AM »
Sorry I got the name wrong for the diving boat it is called Dolphin Scuba team and they have a website www.dolphinscubateam.com

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
The Kalkan Dive Centre, based at Kalamar beach club do cater for beginners. If you haven't already done it you can do your PADI there - much cheaper than in the UK I believe.

Sorry cant work out how to paste link into post on iPad but you can google it.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:33:49 AM »
Kalkan Dive Centre at Kalamar Bay.
B

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 10:06:03 AM »
Its a good few years since I've seen a Banana Boat in Kalkan - lots of other rides available like Big Bertha and Ringos though. We've come to Kalkan early season for the last two years so perhaps the Banana Boat comes out in peak weeks when Kalkan is full of teenagers :)
As the others have said there is plenty of choice for veggies - I'd just check the menu boards outside before you go in or book a particular restaurant to be on the safe side.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »
ooops your prob right K4E when i've said a banana boat I am prob meaning the ringos and big bertha but to me they are all one and the same really, things that get pulled along in the sea very fast (wouldn't venture on any myself lol).

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 12:46:08 PM »
me neither, chrissy....not even if my life depended on it :P

Offline cocobarker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
Lucky you Jonathan!!  My wife + kids are at our place now, and are down at the Kalamar Beach Club as i write this.... Both my children got their padi at the Kalkan Dive Centre run by Altan who lives in our road, fantastic value and very professional... You can do a test dive there beforehand to try it out... They have all the kit... Kalamar Bay Beach Club has all the water rides and most of the beach clubs can organise a speedboat to be with you pretty quickly for bananas,ringos , waterskiing etc... While you are out there you should do a boat trip from the harbour... Great food,lovely views and great value as well.... As for Veggie Restaurants I've not seen any totally vegetarian but I'm sure if you ask they will all be more than happy to cook for you.... I'm going out 31st July for 3 weeks... Can't wait... Another great thing to do is Sundowners on Patarra Beach... take a cab/dolmus there for about 4.30 pm with a coolbox full of CHILLED Efes and Lal.... Grab a spot on the beach and just kick back and watch the most beautiful sunset.... Unmissable

Have Fun!!!

Coco

Offline jonathan_bude

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for some great suggestions - really looking forward to getting out there now!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 04:32:56 PM »
Ah yes......a piece of advice, if you haven't been on a banana or ringo before then don't let yourself be conned into it by your teenagers....,,something's are best left to the younger generation! Actually had whiplash after being determined not to fall out of a ringo.....serves me right for clinging on for grim life!

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
My daughter also completed her PADI course at Kalamar Dive centre, thoroughly enjoyed the experience and had never dived before, so great for beginners. Enjoy!

Offline cptergun

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
    • boattripturkey.com
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »
Welcome to Kalkan .

If you want to go for diving Kaş would be the best option for diving because there are really nice dive spots surrounding of Kaş area that's why there are at least 20 diving schools in Kaş area.

Most of the restaurants in Kalkan offer veggie options.

Regards

Cpt. Ergun
Kas, Kalkan and Kekova’s premier daily boat trip & gulet charter operator in Turkey.
         www.boattripturkey.com

No1 Things to do In Kas on Tripadvisor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Suggestions to Improve Kalkan

Started by Denners on General Discussion

27 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 01:30:01 PM
by Legionaire
recycled
First Time in Kalkan, In fact - First Time Abroad Alone!! HELP!!

Started by ed2 on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
by alantj
xx
Road trip from Bodrum to Kalkan - Any suggestions?

Started by jayne on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 12:05:05 PM
by jayne
xx
Take away suggestions

Started by Solz on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2018, 07:07:54 AM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Seaport fresh fish

Views: 3092
By: leesyloo
Old Town