Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Trip Adviser Ratings.....  (Read 2478 times)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Trip Adviser Ratings.....
« on: July 01, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »
I see TanZore is the new number 1! Well done to all involved, we will be giving it a whirl in October............whether it's still no 1 or not.

This year there seems to be drastic movements in the TA charts with restaurants going up and down quicker than a bride's nightie! Cases in point:

Small House - No 1 for months and now down at 16 having botttomed out at twenty-odd a few weeks ago after a small number of poor reviews.

Begonvil Cafe - Briefly at no 1 and now down to 10

And then there's one of my personal favourites, Chillies, sliding down the slippery slope and languishing in the low 70's currently despite consistantly good reviews (although they have had 2 poor ones lately - 1 was particularly vindictive, calling for the place to be closed!).

I know TA reviews are very subjective but I am beginning to think the ratings aren't worth the cyber space they're printed on.

Does anyone agree? Does anyone know what criteria TA use when arriving at their ratings??

pw

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11262.0
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:36:21 PM by pw »
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Re: Trip Adviser Ratings.....
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »
Personally I would take anything on trip advisor with a pinch of salt. Too many people in my opinion take notice of it. Human nature as it is, people that are happy don't usually review, but anyone who has a grudge for whatever reason will often be vitriolic.
Also what one person likes another may not , it is extremely subjective. Just my opinion but wherever we have stayed in whatever country we have never checked reviews on Trip Advisor, would rather make up our own minds, rather than being influenced by others.

Offline chrisbluestar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:07:27 AM »
The criteria regarding as to placing in TA charts seems to be ...If a restaurant gets a few comments in a short period of time [one or two weeks] it jumps very quickly to a higher position...the ranking on the site does seem to be the frequency of reviews .
One restaurant last year went from being ranked 36 to number 3 position just with having 5 comments in one week.

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:57:01 AM »
The Trip Advisor restaurant ratings are an absolute joke and should be ignored at all costs. I work in tourism and every week am presented on several occassions with the top ten list, which I usually tell my guests to throw in the rubbish and go out and explore for themselves. Generally there are very few if any restaurants in the top 10 I would really want to eat in, most of the good places are way down.
The criteria for getting to the top of the list generally is that it is a cheap place to eat. Having eaten at Tanzore (average price zone) recently I would agree that the food was indeed excellent, however as a whole package I would not rate my experience there as particularly memorable (apart from the spectacularly poor and rude welcome I received on the stairs, not the kind of reception one normally gets in a Kalkan restaurant!)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
I find tripadviser useful for finding accommodation in other places but use the restaurant reviews as ideas and then look at their individual websites.......works for us that way

Offline anne41

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
  • young at heart
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:55:19 PM »
So agree with above posts.... Have been coming to Kalkan now for 4 years and just wander through the streets and see where we want to eat on that evening... Never pay much attention to any reviews cause can't really remember what they say anyway!!!!. Never been dissapionted so far.. Everyone just enjoy......the food rarely will let you down and the experience ....never!!!

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:27:19 AM »
I have met visitors who arrive armed with loads and loads of trip adviser info that they have printed off and they march around the streets,paperwork in hands and completely missing the chance to stroll around the streets and alleyways, actually enjoying themselves.One of the most enjoyable parts of a holiday is discovering new places and revisiting old and I dont honestly think trip adviser helps much in Kalkan.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »
Oops.....meant to say we never take any notice of tripadviser for Kalkan!

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 08:45:19 AM »
It's much more fun, having a good old wander around and just take pot luck really. After all restaurant reviews are other people's views and as the saying goes "One man's meat is another man's poison".  Ì also feel sorry for the places that suddenly get a bad review, after all every place must have the odd off night, maybe really busy or last minute staff problems. I honestly think people should make their own minds up and if you're not impressed well either voice your complaint politely to management or just don't eat there again, after all we're definitely not spoilt for choice in Kalkan are we LOL  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Restaurant and boat trip reviews from our recent trip....

Started by elainecris on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2011, 07:37:19 PM
by Skunk
xx
Kekova trip and jeep safari trip?

Started by HolmfirthNicky on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

12 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 05:59:12 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
Trip to Izmir

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 05:09:23 PM
by M n M
xx
Kaya BBQ trip

Started by pw on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 01:36:50 AM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal