Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Traditional village breakfast  (Read 3187 times)

Offline TXR301

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Traditional village breakfast
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:34 PM »
Evening all,

My wife and I arrived in Kalkan yesterday and are having a lovely time. Last year when I was in Hisaronu, I had a meal advertised as a 'Traditional Turkish village breakfast'; it consisted of flat bread, yoghurt, honey, jams, fruit, olives, meat, some egg dishes and a few pastry dishes.

Yes... rather a lot of food I will admit, but it was fantastic. Thus far in Kalkan, I have only been able to find places serving the traditional Turkish breakfast of cheese, fruit and bread.

Wondering if anyone can shed any light as to whether or not my gargantuan and somewhat eclectic breakfast find last year was a one - off?

Cheers,

Tim

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11222.0

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
Re: Traditional village breakfast
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »
You will find what you are looking for in Ayse's Kitchen situated in the grounds of the bus station.  Beautiful homemade jam, yoghurt, local honey and village bread. The location sounds odd but it is a lovely little restaurant with excellent views.  That said most restaurants in Kalkan will be only too happy to cook what ever it is you want. Hope you enjoy your time in Kalkan.

Offline TXR301

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »
Super! Thanks Charlie. Next question... Where is the bus station?

Due to the rather hot weather and high situation of our villa, we have been getting taxis everywhere; coconsequently we haven't found our way around just yet!

Cheers,

Tim

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »
Hi, most of the restaurants do Turkish breakfast and usually consist of egg, cooked however you like e.g. boiled or fried, meat, cheese ( usually 2 different types), olives, tomatoes, cucumber, bread, jam and honey. You will find these definitely at cafe vita, chillies and fener cafe at the harbour. I know because I've eaten them at these places so you should be fine. I'm sure there will be plenty of other restaurants too. You must try menemen, while you are in kalkan. It's a sort of spicy scrambled eggs, with tomatoes and chilli. Absolutely delicious.
Hope you find what you are looking for.  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:11:51 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline TXR301

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »
Thanks Liz - I'll go for a wander down to the harbour tomorrow morning. Absolutely loving it here thus far, and will be coming back for the foreseeable future I expect. We liked Oludeniz, but found it to be a bit too loud and strip-like for our tastes.

Cheers,

Tim

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »
Yes definitely visit the Fener for breakfast......can you imagine anywhere with a better view for breakfast??

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 10:01:27 PM »
For breakfast or lunch it's always Fener (9/10) for us, worth it just for location  ;)  8)  ;)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »
Cafe Ev does a super turkish breakfast. 
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »
So does Ada Patisserie at the town end of Kalamar Road...but another vote for Asye's Kitchen which is a fabulous place for good traditional Turkish food.
The bus station is at the top of town, opposite BIM supermarket, just below the petrol station, you can't miss it  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
We've seen quite a few Turks enjoying what you're looking for at Adam's, too!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »
Hi Tim,
If your villa is situated quite high up then you're probably not too far from the bus station. As Kalkan4Eva says it's at the top of the town near the petrol station, just below the D400.  I'll bet in this heat you're glad to be higher up, at least you'll get a breeze, albeit a very slight, very warm breeze!  Good to know you're enjoying Kalkan!
8)

Offline TXR301

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
Thanks all - that's breakfast for the next few days wrapped up then!

We are staying in a villa literally just below what I believe is called 'Yayla Caddessi', which I believe is the road out to Kisla. We appear to be at the outermost point of Kalkan, since we see only shrubs to the east of us. The height is excellent for the view and, as you say, the breeze... but walking down in to town once was enough!

Very much enjoying our stay - what a lovely and welcoming place; even the chaps promoting their restaurants by the harbour are polite!

Off to Moonlight soon for a few Efes Limons, before trying out either the Doy Doy or Begonville.

Cheers,

Tim

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 05:07:47 PM »
Oh you are up high then.  The bus station would be quite a distance west of you, towards the way you came into the village. Haven't tried Begonville but have had a few lovely meals in Doy Doy, I'm sure you will enjoy which ever one you choose.
Serefe!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
Hi Tim, we are also staying in a villa just underneath the yayla road too in August. Can you actually walk down into town ok from there? Also if you drive, do you have to take the road by the arcelik shop opposite the petrol station, it can you drive through kiziltas? Wonder if its the same villa that we are staying in?  :)
Enjoy your night.

Offline TXR301

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
Charlie - Begonville was good, but I'm not sure it lived up to the hype on TripAdvisor. Nice staff, attentive owner and good food, but we didn't walk away immediately planning our next visit. That said, you need to keep things in perspective, and it cost half what we paid last night on the harbour; taking that into account, it was excellent.

Liz - You certainly can walk down, though my wife and I are both in our twenties and physically fit, and I must say I felt it in my knees at the time, and calves the next day. It is incredibly steep. Without knowing Kalkan very well, we have been driving straight up from the old town/harbour roundabout to the D400 junction, going straight over, up the hill to the next 'main' road, then right and straight along all the way to the end. Total cost from the harbour is 20TKL. Hope that helps?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:44:19 PM by TXR301 »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »
Thanks Tim. We came in April and had a dummy run in our hire car but couldn't find the villa. I guess we will find out when we get there. We have stayed in that area before but it was a bit lower down, near the mediterran hotel.
I'm looking forward to the view from the infinity pool, but not the walk! We are hiring a car though so should be ok.
I almost wish I were you, discovering kalkans delights for the first time. Hope you continue to have a fab holiday and look forward to hearing more about it.  :)

Offline TXR301

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
Hi Liz - the view from the pool is amazing up here, and totally unobstructed... Bliss!

We've now done the walk down a couple of times, and have noted a few shortcuts available. The quickest route is down the steep slopes and across the suspended walkway over the D400. This brings you down by a hardware store and not far from the main roundabout. The easiest on the joints is to walk along the long unnamed road which runs parallel to the D400; however this takes ages!

In summary, my advice would be to do away with any foolish notions of exercise and make sensible use of the vehicle you're hiring. Just make sure you keep it in first or second for some of the slopes and, if it rains... Hold on tight!

Tim

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »
We have gone out and had traditional Turkish breakfast which was great and quite different to what we'd usually have at home but we also like to make our own as it's so quick and easy and you can purchase all the lovely fresh ingredents in the village especially the yummy honey and the gorgeous fresh bread and of course a large chunk of goats cheese with a hard boiled egg, spicy meat, cucumber and succulent melon to washed down with ice cold fruit juice.  Love to enjoy it sitting in the shade  under the pergola by the side of the pool,  making plans for the days adventures ahead.  Oh can just imagine it now, of course we always have the company of the neighbouhood  cats and dog who we have seen for the last three years, they just sit there looking on longingly hoping  for  a titbit of  salami and a nice cold saucer of milk. Always glad to oblige  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cheap Holiday in a traditional Turkish Village and gardening volunteers wanted.

Started by Bapple on The Everything Else Area!

0 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 07:46:14 AM
by Bapple
xx
Village restaurant cafe

Started by chickengeorge on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 03:45:30 PM
by chickengeorge
xx
Buying "village" property

Started by Poly on Buying A Property & Real Estate

0 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 01:04:26 PM
by Poly
xx
Traditional hammam?

Started by Llondon on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

57 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 10:10:56 AM
by Skunk

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal