Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Live music at Midtown  (Read 18903 times)

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Live music at Midtown
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
You do not really have the right to call me arrogant when you do not know me nor anything about me. All you have to counter are my views and opinions of which, although I disagree vociferously with yours, fully respect them and certainly would not lower myself to attack you personally by judging your character as being arrogant - because I simply do not know you. You are probably a very nice well-meaning chap with an obvious commercial interest in your intended project.

It would appear, however, that there is a general consensus from the responses to your initial thread that, whilst wishing to enjoy a little light music, some have similar fears that if it either becomes Karaoke'esqe, overtly obvious to neighbouring properties or of a similar nature to the live music found in much larger resorts, it could detract from the general peaceful ambience of Kalkan.

In the grand scheme of Kalkan, I like you, are nothing and no-one with almost zero influence. I am not a dictator nor a rubber stamper. I just generate a modest income from some rental properties and visit there twice, sometimes three time a year as a holidaymaker with a vested interest in the place. Your desire to introduce music, live, non-Turkish or otherwise, however will have an effect on your immediate locale and visiting tourists, some of whom will be objectionable to the sound/noise/otherwise when all they have been used to when walking along the lanes of Kalkan are the gentle sounds of Turkish music, chatter, laughter and general banter between the friendly locals and holidaymakers. My comments won't do anything except perhaps provoke thought in those who, like me, fear that Kalkan may, in time, become the very antithesis of what it is now.

It is undeniable that the British make up the vast majority of visitors to Kalkan and quite right that locals would wish to please them. However, what irks me personally are those British ex-pats who live or reside there who are starting to open up businesses and/or enterprises/projects that are overly UK-oriented. Singularly or in small number, these are okay - but like many resorts, we begin to spread our influence and eventually, together with locals who mimic our ideas thinking this is what tourists want, the Brit influence takes over - so the whole heart and soul of the resort is lost to our culture, our food, our musical tastes, our types of souvenirs, our sport watching habits, our everything. It is this which I fight (sometimes futilely) about, not individuals and their moral character. It is these poeple who do much to detract from the indigenous charm of a resort by changing or introducing changes that alter its whole character.

So please, by all means, disagree with my sentiments and comments. Be vociferous in your condemnation of my viewpoints - but please don't attack me personally. Calling me something which you don not know whether it is true or not, not only negates the strength of your argument, it perhaps highlights to others more about you as a person than what you erroneously perceive about me.

Owner, holidaymaker and Kalkan lover

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »
Enough is enough! Please can this thread be closed!!!!!!!!!!

Jayne

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
Couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks Jayne.  :o :o :o

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
Well said Jayne....and any other thread which turns into a personal attack on others' views. Saying this MartynE simply asked for people's opinions and then it turned into a bunfight!
Come on folks (don't you just hate that expression?) the title of this forum is "Enjoy Kalkan".....as has been pointed out many times we all enjoy different things and those of us who don't enjoy loud music etc. will simply not go to places where it is played..... however it is my understanding that this was never the intention of MartynE?

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
Nobody on this forum has the right to try to dictate to the TURKISH people of Kalkan how to run their business,and how to make a living,the season lasts 6 months for most of them and they have to make as much money as they can to cover the closed season.
whether you own,rent or just holiday in Kalkan,you are a guest of Turkey,let them get on with making a living.

End word :

EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Sandancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »
Whilst being neither a resident or a property owner (I wish) we do spend a month in Kalkan every year and I have found this forum to be of great interest and a good source of information. I am greatly saddened to see this thread turned into such ferocious diatribe. I would say that there will be many people like me, just an average Brit tourist, who loves Kalkan, would be put off using this website as it is not a lot of fun anymore.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »
Can I just say that I agree wholeheartedly with the above comments from Bob and Jayne downwards. I'm pretty sure that Martyn did not expect or intend this thread to turn into a slanging match. We are all entitled to our opinions but I think we need to remember to do this in a respectful way and adhere to the ethos of Enjoy Kalkan.
I realise that some people on this forum are very passionate about keeping Kalkan special, we probably all feel this to some degree, but I am sick and tired of nearly every thread being ruined by this (as sandancer says ) ferocious diatribe too.
We should not be put off starting a thread for fear of a member trying rudely to ram their personal opinions down our throats, but this is how it's making me feel. There is a right way and a wrong way to respond to posts and I'm just hoping a moderator will step in ASAP.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:51 PM »
Can I remind everyone of the MUTUAL MEMBER RESPECT POLICY this forum operates.

I dont want to have to start removing accounts but unless people can discuss matters without personal comments there shall be no other option.

Ta :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
Bazza1970  - Having known Kalkan for 20yrs & having owned a property here for approx 9yrs it is the likes of us who have help to spoil Kalkan in many ways (also I remember when Turkish music was played in the cafe/bars all the time, heaven).  Also remember that the British expats are not the only ones who have started a business or got involed with a business interest here, there are hundreds of Turks from places such as Istanbul, Ankara etc who in some cases came just as a lot of Brits did, fell in love with it, sold up or retired from wherever they came from & did likewise, started up a business or became involved, some have been here for years, infact they are still coming, everything from laywers, potters, cafe owners you name it they are there, take a look around, not all those villas are owned by Brits.  Kalkan is not Turkeys best kept secret anymore because of the likes you us.  By the way we do not rent out or own a business, just live here for long periods of time.

My local fish & chip shop owner by the way in the UK comes from Turkey & he owns 3 shops there.

Going back to the subject in hand, towards the end of the music nights at the Nur, they became boring & repetative, people went elsewhere, if there is a good choice of music in the proposed scheme & varied, well, it could be good but only if it survives the noise from the barking dogs, motor bikes & scooters passing by.  Not too loud though Martin if you please, sleep is important to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
My partner sent me this today, I think it's quite appropriate...

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »
Wheeeeeeeey!! thats nice of him.....we will all be round shortly!! ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »
Love that OttomanChicken - I think thats a great philosophy and one we should all embrace!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 09:26:19 PM »
I have nothing more to say, other than to correct an apparent misconception that may have crept in along the way here... I wish to make it clear that I have NO commercial interest in the music nights, only a creative interest (on the invitation of the business owner)

That is all. :)

Offline michelle from newcastle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
well i am def interested in live music & even more coming to kalkan. 1 month today weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee x
Michelle x

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2013, 04:02:04 AM »
I like most music as long as it suits the atmosphere of the place, especially if your having a nice meal or just a quiet drink, don't want it too noisy so as not to infere too much if you want to have conversation. Some years ago I suppose you could say we had a somewhat different musical experience when visiting the very Turkish side of Cyprus, Kyrenia. One day we drove out to the very ancient Bellapaise Abbey. After exploring we called in a very picturesque restaurant in the small village for refreshments. Sat on the upper balcony overlooking the stunning valley, there were only a handful of people there. Low key in the background they had on a mixture of Turkish and British/Western music sung by a fantastic Turkish male voice choir (must have known we were Welsh lol). Sounds a little unusual but they put a Turkish slant on  it and it was really haunting especially in those surroundings and at times quite moving. ÃŒt was a little different but as we and the other visitors commented it really added to the atmosphere perfectly. I suppose that's  what you might describe as fusion music.  :)

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2013, 07:22:24 AM »
I have to agree with  Christina, live music/any music is fine as long as it is not blasting out at
4 in the morning, which last year it was, night after night. I thought loud music was supposed to stop at midnight?  Such a shame as the peace really is disturbed, cannot believe anyone can actually enjoy noisy music this time of the night.

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2013, 07:34:05 AM »
For loud music till about 2am (albeit not live) try the Samira Hotel an apartments. It was a killer for us. The Pirat also has a club which, although Ive never witnessed it, is supposed to be very loud. So to are the chants from the beer bellied baldies watching Sky Sports just before the start of the old town. Give it a few years and I am sure Kalkan will be as indistinguishable as all the other resorts for its cacophonous chaos of various musics whether live or taped. Just enjoy the relative peace, for now.......

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »
For loud music till about 2am (albeit not live) try the Samira Hotel an apartments. It was a killer for us. The Pirat also has a club which, although Ive never witnessed it, is supposed to be very loud. So to are the chants from the beer bellied baldies watching Sky Sports just before the start of the old town. Give it a few years and I am sure Kalkan will be as indistinguishable as all the other resorts for its cacophonous chaos of various musics whether live or taped. Just enjoy the relative peace, for now.......

Ever the optimist, eh baz? Every silver lining......
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
I love music but not loud that you cannot speak to each other without shouting We went to Icmeler for years but grafually restaurants and bars started to outdo one another with  who could be the noisiest, nedless to say we have not been back.

We did notice last year there were some noisy places as we rturned back to the hotel, luckily we did ot hear it once in our room

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »
Like BarbH, we started going to Icmeler 25 years ago, when it was a little pocket of paradise (sound familiar?) However, 10 years later, I was having dinner by the sea with friends, and we could count at least 3 different songs blasting out from different sources. It was when a seedy-looking belly dancer with a cheap costume and dirty feet leapt uninvited onto our table, we knew we were never going back!

With reference to loud late night music at the Samira - let's hope not - but as my apartment is nearby, and if disturbed at an unreasonable hour whilst I am there next week with my family, I shall be tempted to go down to their bar in my nightie and pull the plug myself!  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Re: Midtown Cafe and Bistro -Live Music -

Started by clara 50 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

21 Replies
Last post June 22, 2013, 09:53:28 AM
by MartynE
xx
Changes to Midtown music night schedule

Started by MartynE on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 02:23:20 PM
by MartynE
xx
Live music

Started by chezaroonie on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post September 28, 2015, 10:01:50 PM
by chezaroonie
recycled
Live Music

Started by Shellage on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 10:14:05 PM
by MartynE

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal