Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Your favourite restaurant  (Read 9667 times)

Offline Bee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Your favourite restaurant
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
Favourite Restaurant = The Trout Farm (don't know it's name) further on from the first ones.
Favourite Bar = Kleos. Just love sitting by the beach after dinner watching people still swimming when it's hot, whilst sipping an Almond liqueur.

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »
favourite bar is easy - Kleos love watching the sun go down with a pre dinner drink.
Restaurant more difficult to choose just one but would have to say Gourmet then very closely followed by Mussakka and Kalamki however have never tried the Fish Terrace but intend to next visit so who knows?

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
Just back from our first visit to kalkan

Our new best restaurant (taking over from Gourmet) is Small House, as we don't plan in advance this was the first time we had ever managed to get a table. Even with Kalkan almost dead and most restaurants empty it was almost full and we went back three times in our 9 day stay for the best turkish food we have had in a long long time.

Other restaurants we visited were

Huunkar - best Kebabs, despite lots of new competition, both on tast and price.

Agora  - bit dissappointing food ok but nothing special and we were strongly recommended to have an apriocot desert billed as the most wonderful desert ever, that wasn't (turned out it was the only one on the menu they actually had). Also 8TH for an Effes seems a bit pricey

Kaya - same as ever very  friendly and food food

Bus station restaurant - authentic Turkish food and great value.

Unfortunately our favorite bar Kleo was shut so made do with the great view from foto pizza

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »
....I take it you mean your first visit this year :) :)
I get mixed up with Small House and Our House  ::) Is Small House the one in the centre of the village up the steps between the shops?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
Yep, just down from Sade on same side. It's excellent, highly recommended....we may well be going back tonight!

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
....I take it you mean your first visit this year :) :)
I get mixed up with Small House and Our House  ::) Is Small House the one in the centre of the village up the steps between the shops?

No first ever. We tend not to book restaurants in advance, so although we have asked about a table several times previously it was always full - should have taken this as a clue that it was very good.

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »
We'll be at Gourmet 5 weeks tomorrow  ;D having had an Efes or two at Yali Bar first. Cannot. Wait. K4E will we be seeing you by the pool?  :laugh:

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »
My new favourite discovery (although it's been there donkeys' years) is Isos Kitchen - past the Moonlight Bar, and carry on past the top of the steps behind Merkez Cafe. A tiny old Greek place with a with a roaring fire - great in winter - and a roof terrace - serving a meltingly delicious lamb shank, mash and gravy. All very rustic with a very warm welcome from the owner.

Re the Oz Adana thing. When I was there last week, the plot on the side street opposite the Samira (off the Kalamar Road roundabout, round the corner from Kipa supermarket) which was previously occupied by Oz Adana - was vacant. There is now a new Oz Adana up past the Genpa supermarket near the Kas Road. Further back down the road, where the Cati bar used to be, is another new kebab place - Moda Kebab - which is soon to be renamed 'Mosaik'.  I did not eat at either of these places so cannot comment on food/service. Just a bit of local info for you.

But a little place I did like is the old 'Extinct' restaurant - next to the old Oz Adana - which has been Rose restaurant for a couple of years.  A simple Turkish cafe, with traditional dishes at great prices, run by Rose and Appo who speak little English. There is no real view to speak of but the welcome is warm. I wandered in for a chilled glass of rose on my way home one afternoon. The stone oven was roaring, so I ordered a spinach/cheese/egg pide. While waiting for it to cook, Rose offered to let me bake some loaves in the oven using the giant wooden spatula. The pide was divine and came with a lovely house salad.  As I was finishing my coffee, Rose took a giant earthenware casserole out of the oven, which contained the family's dinner - chicken, potatoes, onions, garlic and peppers. She insisted that I take some home with me in a parcel for later. She also gave me the poppy seed loaves I had baked earlier.

During the proceedings there was the obligatory power cut, which had Appo running round with a match in true Carry On comedy-style, before reappearing with lanterns. Then when I finally asked for the bill - they said it was NOTHING - as I was their first customer of the season. Such kindness! I don't know any other place on earth where that would happen, and I'll certainly be visiting again when I am back in May.

Happy eating!

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 09:08:12 AM »
What a beautifully written post, Christina. Who needs Indian restaurants and English junk food when there is such spectacular local food and warm hospitality such as that you have mentioned. This is the true heart and soul of Kalkan and may it forever stay that way!
Owner, holidaymaker and Kalkan lover

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
Yes Rachey, see you by the pool...we're a bit after you (arrive on 4th June) and hopefully not hobbling this year ;D
Can't wait....

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 08:55:35 PM »
We went to Iso's a few times last year and agree it really is a lovely restaurant. Just as well as it was as far as I could walk with my poor old hips back then. In the meantine I have had two hip replacements and will be staying very near Rose restaurant so will certainly be giving that a try. Sounds an amazing experience Christina - so typical of those wonderful Turkish people.  :) :) :)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »
Excellent, K4E - now for heaven's sake take great care when weighing your suitcases this year  :o ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 05:37:19 PM »
I will be nowhere near if BH starts calibrating scales with kettle bells... :o :o That said, I purchased a digital hand-held weight reader at the weekend so perhaps there'll be none of that this year!
Look forward to seeing you at our best - kept secret ;)

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »
My favourite, although we dont get down there much is the Olive Garden just over the Merkez.  The Merkez is probably the best place to people watch these days and the food is great. Mucella running round like a whirling dervish is a sight to see! lol.  Favourite bar will always be Moonlight.  I agree Kleo's a nice sit-down though. It's just getting back up the hill after a few bevvies that sometimes makes it a bit of a trial!

Offline Derbyshire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
Favourite restaurant FISH TERRACE  we love it been lots of times we go in June and aug

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »
Just asked SWMBO where she would like to eat on our first night and like a flash she came back with Alternatif, which is amazing as she rarely makes a decision when we are away. We did have 2 cracking meals there last time including on the owners birthday. So I'll be keeping an eye on the webcam to the right to see how things are progressing with opening for the season.

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
see you in a few weeks K4E in our beautiful second home  :laugh:

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 03:09:16 PM »
Yelkenite just to let you know Mucella is working in Aubergine on the harbour this year.  And yes, she's still running around like a whirling dervish!  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 03:45:25 PM »
...that's a loss to Merkez :(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Tlos

Views: 3697
By: Lorretta
sun