Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Eating out with kids  (Read 3288 times)

Offline faysonghurst

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Eating out with kids
« on: April 17, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
Hi

I have been visiting Kalkan for many many years but haven't been for a few years and am returning with my husband and two children.  They are aged 4 and 2 yrs.  Any recommendations for some restaurants would be suitable for them?  I'm not looking for chicken nuggets or burgers, but a restaurant that would serve lovely turkish food for myself/hubbie with something a bit more simple for the kids ie kebabs, pasta dishes?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10869.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Eating out with kids
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
Hi faysonghurst, welcome to the forum.
I think most of the restaurants will cater for children - even if its not on their menu :) We've taken picky adult children and they have asked for something simple and the restaurants have come up with something for them which the chef has just rustled up  ;D
I would recommend some of the more reasonable places like Fotos, Fener, Hunkar, Cafe Leon, Oz Adana, Merkez, Chillies and Cafe Vita where they serve delicious food and their menus are suitable for little ones too.
Hope you enjoy Kalkan with two small people in tow :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum,

We've been coming to Kalkan with children who are/were quite fussy eaters and we have never had a meal where nothing on the menu was suitable, however, we have tweaked the menu quite a few times and this has never been a problem.

K4E has given you some great advice, just ask, everyone is so obliging, they will even scale down adult sized meals eg, our youngest loves filet steak and Mussakka do a children's sized portion, she is 12 now and said next time we come she is having the adult sized!!! I'd better start saving up!!

Honestly you will be fine, have a great holiday!  :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »
Try Kaya ...inexpensive but good and Kadir will do magic tricks the kids will love  ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »
We have always found Cafe Vita very helpful and have often seen young families dine there. §ometimes I've felt like something just plain and simple especially when it's so hot  at lunchtime and they will certainly try to serve you what you fancy, they do great fish pie topped with cheesy mash, various omlettes and pasta dishes. Às I have a small appetite if I ask they will make a smaller portion for me, as I hate to waste good food and of course not forgetting their  famous homemade chips. Even gone there at lunch and just had a small plate of chips and some tasty fresh bread and butter when I really wasn't hungry at all but didn't like to sit with no food in front of me while my hubby enjoyed a meal. Always found them helpful there and the prices are reasonable too. They also have a gorgeous friendly little dog Bella whom I'm sure the nippers will adore.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »
Akin are also good.

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
not all of restorants are really kids friendly. Somewhere staff always trying to pinch kids cheek, somewhere road is too close or tables placed too tight.

Aubergine, Marina are fine, Mussaka, chapter one (and other "terrace" restorants), Kaya etc - are not really nice with kids.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
I have to disagree satovod, Kaya are fantastic with children....they were a glaring omission from my previous list (thanks BL ;))

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
I have to agree with K4E and BL. Our kids have had fantastic times and meals in Kaya and mussakka. They will alter the spices to suit your palate and nothing is too much trouble at either places. Fener is also fab with kids. Our youngest likes very plain food eg a tuna sandwich is literally that - tuna and bread in her eyes with salad and mayo on the side and both fener and cafe vita are happy to oblige and take it back and sort it if its not quite right. As I said, we have never had a problem in any restaurant, be it a cafe type, traditional, or upmarket.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 04:53:57 AM »
Fener is a really good place to take kids especially if you have a pushchair.Lots of space between the tables,great staff and really reasonable prices for good food.They can watch the boats and play with other children too.

Great place for kids and adults alike.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 11:34:29 PM »
I didn't think of it earlier but Parc Kalkan has to be a very good choice. They have a lovey little sandy play zone for small children (I think the owner has a young child) and the restaurant is in a large safe enclosed area so if they just want to wander round before or after they have eaten you will feel relaxed.

Offline faysonghurst

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Can you tell me where Fener and Parc Kalkan are? Am counting down the weeks - can't wait to show my girls the place I love :-)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
Fener is down at the entrance to the harbour and it has the small landside light house in it's grounds. Park Kalkan is on the left on the road up to the bus station from the top roundabout, it's about half way up to the Yali supermarket.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

cheesy
New kids on the block

Started by Sezkalkan on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2016, 11:55:58 PM
by alantj
smiley
Kids will love this!!!

Started by Chucky on The Everything Else Area!

0 Replies
Last post December 14, 2009, 09:09:33 PM
by Chucky
grin
Friends for the kids

Started by ms_topaz on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 03:39:31 PM
by ms_topaz
xx
Beach club with kids

Started by Eners on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 05:13:26 PM
by junehzrn

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Babadag and son

Views: 626
By: Babadag
The Antlers