Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Safety Deposit Boxes in Kalkan  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Safety Deposit Boxes in Kalkan
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
KTLN has published a new article this morning which includes a reminder about the possibility of burglary of belongings.  The apartment we are staying at does not have a safety deposit box available.  I just wonder if people have any idea if there is somewhere that rents them out short term for holidaymakers?  Any idea how much they charge?  ??? ??? ??? ::)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10739.0

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
Re: Safety Deposit Boxes in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
I can't really see why there isn't a small digital safe in each apartment or villa (or the hotel rooms, for that).  They are not expensive, offer improved security and peace of mind, and it's far better than standing somewhere public, sorting out your cash.

The only downside is people setting a code and then closing it so the next occupant can't use it, but then many hotels worldwide have safes in the rooms that you have to set each time you open them; and they can always be reset easily, either be a sequence of codes or an external device.

Personally, I prefer to have a safe in the room.  It must, however, be securely attached to the wall or floor - thieves have been known to take the wall down to get the safe!  (But not in Kalkan?)
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »
I agree although I have heard that the small ones are very easy to remove/force open.  No-one seems to know of anything so I guess we will just have to think of other ways to hide our belongings.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
Our safe has extra long fixing bolts that come out in Australia.
Just hope nobody loosens my nuts down under!  ::)  ::)
B

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
I would feel dreadful if guests got broken into and their possessions stolen whilst staying with us. 

Whilst you can't make a home impenetrable you can certainly improve the security to most homes and I think it is an owners responsbility to take steps to protect their guests and valuables.

Thankfully, we've never been broken into and now we've put in extra door locks, alarms and a laptop sized safe which should prevent any breakins in the future too.

Skunk, could you not ask the owner if they would put a safe in their property - it may not been something they've thought of and you may get a positive answer.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »
We have stayed in properties that don't have a safe but have always found good hiding places for our valuables. In a strange way, I prefer it. I'm sure a thief would head straight for the wardrobes to look for the safe and in some cases they have just taken them off the wall. We hide things all over the place and it would take quite a bit of time to locate it all and steal it....I'm pretty sure they would get fed up, or worry about being disturbed and so hopefully leave empty handed.
The downside is that we can forget where we stash things sometimes and went home one year leaving cash behind :o
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
Like Turkeyfan and and many others we have alarmas, a safe (which any bank would be proud of), for the same reasons.  I would also suggest you mention your concerns to the owner, that way they have time to have one installed before you go, plus they may already have it on their to do list.
Isis

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
Twice now we have stayed in propertys that have a safe but the managing agent does not know the pass number or in one case have a key...the other had a single key which if we wanted anything we would have to wait till he was about ...as we didn't see him for days on some occasions we didn't use it...we hide things around as well....look for a place with cobwebs..that means the cleaner doesn't go there either!! ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
One propblem we found was that some travel insurance only pays out if cash is stolen from a locked safe. My son lost £500 the day he arrived at a holiday villa in Ibiza when he was burgled and the insurance wouldn't pay out because the money wasn't in a safe.  Worth checking the small print of the policy.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 06:06:02 AM »
Safes are the bane of our lives. Since we didn't want to be responsible for guests' personal belongings and valuables, we used to recommend guests use the safety deposit boxes in the hotel next door, for which there was a small fee. Then it transpired that a naughty member of hotel staff had devised a clever way of ripping people off (he has since been sacked and the guests compensated, but still...)  :-[

So then we decided to have safes fitted in all our apartments... but sometimes guests are their own worst enemies. One locked everything valuable - including their passport - in the safe and promptly forgot their combination and, in the panic to get the passport out on departure day, forced the override key so hard they broke the key handle off, with the key still jammed in the lock...

We now have very simple combination lock safe boxes, that even an idiot couldn't get wrong. Oh dear, I can't believe I just said that...  ;)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »
The first thing thieves go for are visible safes.  If the safe is not embedded in the wall and covered by something, it is at risk.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Safety deposit boxes

Started by katieh on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 11:31:45 AM
by katieh
xx
Safe Deposit Boxes

Started by dozza on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post August 16, 2015, 05:23:23 PM
by Babs
xx
cushion boxes

Started by GARDENIA PAT on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 07:32:41 PM
by GARDENIA PAT
xx
Bank transfer for deposit

Started by JayneyG on Money & Finance

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 10:02:35 AM
by butterfly

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Xanthos

Views: 2900
By: Babadag
Kalkan Harbour