Author Topic: A cry from the heart. What can I drink instead?  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
A cry from the heart. What can I drink instead?
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
I've been told to avoid alcohol. So, no more angora(sob) and no more efes(sob). Has anyone any ideas of long drinks that I could have that don't contain lots of sugar, sweeteners, caffeine or other nasties.
I appear to be limited to water or fruit juices, unless anyone can suggest something better. Please, please, suggest something better.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9171.0
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
Re: A cry from the heart. What can I drink instead?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »
 :)tonic water, ice and lemon. we are also not drinking alcohol and we have lived on tonic for the last 2 weeks!

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »
Is that making you cold & bitter?

By the way, milk is out too.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »
lime & soda is my non-alcoholic drink of choice
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
Aubergine restaurant has a great choice of 'virgin' cocktails using lots of fresh fruit and fruit juices. 

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »
I like the Visne ( cherry juice) it's yummy and if you have it in a wine glass you can kid yourself!
Carpe diem

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
Oh I so understand this because I'm going through the same thing myself but not such a goody twoshoes as you are..  What I think is two different drinks - one is non-alcoholic lager and the other is elderflower and lemon - has the right dry taste if you like your white wine. Lots of love and best wishes with it - I wish you very well!!!  ??? ;)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »
If they sell a lovely crisp apple juice in Kalkan that would be great.   Like BevJam I favour the cherry juice (the sour cherry version).   How about watermelon juice?   It is lovely and refreshing.

I think most places in Kalkan have non-alcoholic cocktails but if you are self-catering and making them at home then throwing in the odd piece of fresh fruit such as one or two strawberries helps the festive look.   

I can (almost) cope with just drinking lots of chilled water with a meal and missing out the wine but have withdrawal symptoms when it comes to pre-dinner (pre most meals to be truthful) drinks.   

It would be very good if you can let us all know the best drinks you find in Kalkan of the non-alcoholic variety.    Sounds as if quite a few of us, at least from time to time, have to grit our teeth and decline anything alcoholic.

Not long ago after major dental surgery my dentist gave me some antibiotics which really really cannot be combined with alcohol.   The next session when I knew he would be prescribing something I pleaded for a different antibiotic if possible as I felt I would be in need of a stiff drink that evening!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:42:33 PM »
I love the crushed iced lemon drink I have had in a few places (especially Indigo on the far side of the harbour). It is so refreshing and not bitter.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
lime & soda is my non-alcoholic drink of choice

Is that fresh limes or cordial? (I thought that there was a problem getting both in Kalkan. See past thread) Sounds quite nice though.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 07:47:05 PM »
I like the Visne ( cherry juice) it's yummy and if you have it in a wine glass you can kid yourself!

Too sweet for me now but, think I might try mixing it with soda. Thanks for the idea.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 07:56:27 PM »
Oh I so understand this because I'm going through the same thing myself but not such a goody twoshoes as you are..  What I think is two different drinks - one is non-alcoholic lager and the other is elderflower and lemon - has the right dry taste if you like your white wine. Lots of love and best wishes with it - I wish you very well!!!  ??? ;)

Me! Good? no, not at all. Yes, I do like a dry white wine but, have you seen non alky Elderflower on sale in Kalkan? I haven't, but then I have never looked for it, rest assured that I will now. Many thanks for the idea.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
If you can drink tonic water, try it with a generous splash of angustora bitters.  It's very dry & 'adult' tasting.  Unlike many non-alcoholic drinks it lends itself to sipping rather than slurping!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
Oh Bubbles, you have my sympathy. I'm assuming you can't drink and have sugar, caffeine etc. for medical reasons so I hope you get well soon. Please avoid the tonic water in Kalkan it's loaded with sugar. You can buy fresh limes in Kalkan now - the greengrocers opposite Parc Kalkan - think its moved slightly from its original premises but its not too far away. I take some limes from home and also take some concentrated lime juice which you can buy in most supermarkets here I like gin and soda with fresh lime and I've found this is the best way to get it. All the fruit juices are sugar-laden too - even the sour cherry :( I think water, sparkling or still are your best bet if you really have to avoid sugar, even fresh juice has a high sugar content, its natural sugar but you don't say if that is allowed. If you like your tea take some decaff with you as you won't be able to get it there. I'm sure you'll still have a fabulous time - think about it, no hangovers ;D ;D ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »
If they sell a lovely crisp apple juice in Kalkan that would be great.   Like BevJam I favour the cherry juice (the sour cherry version).   How about watermelon juice?   It is lovely and refreshing.

I think most places in Kalkan have non-alcoholic cocktails but if you are self-catering and making them at home then throwing in the odd piece of fresh fruit such as one or two strawberries helps the festive look.   

I can (almost) cope with just drinking lots of chilled water with a meal and missing out the wine but have withdrawal symptoms when it comes to pre-dinner (pre most meals to be truthful) drinks.   

It would be very good if you can let us all know the best drinks you find in Kalkan of the non-alcoholic variety.    Sounds as if quite a few of us, at least from time to time, have to grit our teeth and decline anything alcoholic.

Not long ago after major dental surgery my dentist gave me some antibiotics which really really cannot be combined with alcohol.   The next session when I knew he would be prescribing something I pleaded for a different antibiotic if possible as I felt I would be in need of a stiff drink that evening!

Ahhh yes! The fizzy apple flavoured water. It is available in Kalkan and tastes great, I just wish it came in bigger bottles. Not watermelon though, it tastes like cucumber to me and my dislike of that is the main reason I never go to Buckingham Palace garden parties.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for their ideas (keep them coming) and good wishes. I will surely try most of them, especially the soda based ones.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
I think you can get a cordial and mix it with some fresh lemon juice - you could maybe take some out with you if you like it.  8)

Offline Joules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
Parc Kalkan and La Sera, (now re named Topaz) sell a number of cordials which are great with soda, including lime. Yali sell all the cordials so no need to bring from the UK.

Offline Jarvis

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • http://www.adovio.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »
Well i think fresh lime will be the best choice for you.

Offline cptergun

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
    • boattripturkey.com
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
You should definetly try Ayran. Yogurth with water. You can find everywhere in Turkey and really refreshing.
Kas, Kalkan and Kekova’s premier daily boat trip & gulet charter operator in Turkey.
         www.boattripturkey.com

No1 Things to do In Kas on Tripadvisor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I heart Kalkan

Started by JenJen on Holiday Reports and Reviews

16 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 07:16:06 PM
by JenJen
xx
Heart Attack Hill

Started by Rachey on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 11:22:36 AM
by Kalkan regular
xx
My Heart Belongs to Kalkan

Started by The Engineer on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 10:23:55 PM
by anne41
xx
More burglaries - heart stolen in Kalkan

Started by Henny on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2012, 08:42:24 PM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Tlos View.JPG

Views: 2834
By: Lindy
begonvil