Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: June is busting out all over.....  (Read 17467 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: June is busting out all over.....
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 05:20:08 AM »
Ha ha! No, not Sangria scented, K4E - it's Midsummer Night in the conservatory, Winter Jasmine in the kithen and Fluffy Towels with a well-oiled bath (if you know what I mean?!)

Will PM you re Kismet and the offer to show you around...

Keep up the walking - never mind the fat feet, you'll have calves like an Olympic Athlete, soon!

Antler

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
We woke this morning to perfect weather...cloudless blue skies and brilliant sunshine. A welcome sight after a couple of hazy days. Isn't it remarkable how quickly you can downshift into the routine of sleeping, eating, drinking and doing naff all :laugh: of course our daily ritual includes a walk and today's was epic. I heard myself saying "let's walk down to Kalamar Beach Club and back".....I've no idea what planet I was on when I made that suggestion and had every reason to question it on the steep walk down when a 4x4 passed us revving and skidding trying to get up the hill. Nonetheless we ploughed on. Those of you who have done this climb and indeed, do it regularly, you have my admiration....it knocks spots off cardiac hill and some. By the time we reached Kalamar Road after what felt like an ascent up Everest I couldn't speak or breathe. Eventually, we walked on and decided to have a look at the villas being built on what was meant to green belt land in front of Lykia Estate. Last year we'd seen a few half finished villas and the enabling works for a few more so we thought we'd see how it looked. It was an OMG moment. What was just a few properties last year has turned into a mini village that starts up by the road that takes you to Lykia Hotel and extends all the way down to the path that runs from Indigo Beach Club up to the same hotel. Did they have an army of builders working on this over the winter? It appears to be owned by the Samira Group and we couldn't work out if they were villas/apartments for sale or rent. The construction work is quite tastefully executed and the properties are connected by wooden walkways which takes you all the way down to the path from Indigo, where there is a bar, or possibly a communal area for those staying in the properties. I have to say it did shock us that huge swathes of green belt land has now gone forever when there are meant to restrictions on building work....very sad :( It also amazes me that people get hot under the collar over a fast food pizza franchise or live music...and god forbid an Indian restaurant but no-one mentions that great tracts of supposedly protected space has been developed with yet more accommodation....ah well!
Last night we had cocktails at Yakamoz and dinner at White Table. Both were excellent. Yigit advised us that their new sweet this year is homemade vanilla ice cream with black pepper and Johnnie Walker whiskey....I thought their baked lemon cheesecake would be hard to beat.. But this was divine. We shared a cheesecake and an ice cream......hence the walking...sadly Lizilu I'm not losing stones, I'm keeping the impending weight gain at bay, just....my calves on the other hand are bulging in a very unattractive way :(

I've failed miserably to spot DC, so far....but I'm sceptical. Trying to keep an open mind as being proved wrong would be fab!! I did spot that large Efes in Yakamoz is 8.5tl and that the sparrows looking more like chickens with each passing day are 12tl.

If we do spot DC, I'll be sure to offer him some pistachios....we appear to still have a glut of them ::)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
Great report..yes that hill is a killer...when iv'e done it I always used to  stop for a reward fag when I reach elixir!!ooops! maybe fags is why it feels so steep! ::)  spot on about the land going but kalkan is the goose that laid the golden egg so I suppose it was inevitable to some extent..Love Yakamoz!..chilling out on throne chairs with jimmy!!..maybe those chickens on the hot magic roundabout are being given steroids before the chop!! ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:53:24 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
Great report K4E. We also slip into 'Turkishtime' very quickly!! We had a meal at Whitetable last year and really enjoyed it. I'm sitting here in West Yorkshire with a gin and tonic and the bbq warming up thinking that 3 weeks today I will have broken up from work and we'll be off to Ibiza tomorrow!! Look forward to more reports coming in!!
Nicky

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »
Fantastic report K4E. I'm so enjoying your holiday!!!!
We had a walk by indigo beach club when we were there in April and there was heavy duty traffic in our way, hence we didn't get very far. I just presumed that maybe a villa was being built, not a village! You're right, it's such a shame  :(

I don't suppose bulging calves are aesthetically pleasing to the eye but at least they are not accompanied by fat feet!!

Roll on the next instalment!!!  8) :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 08:37:15 PM »
The new property built down by the path from The Indigo beach club is owned by Aslan, who owns the Asfia, Lykia Gardens hotel, The Lykia Residence Hotel and Spa, Oasis Hotel, Lykia Exclusive and Kas Peninsular Gardens. It's called the Lykia Pavillion and is mega expensive. Planning permission doesn't seem to be a problem.
Here's the website so you can check it out if you come into money. http://www.aykangroup.com/likya-pavilion/

Offline muckyones

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »
I ended up having to walk up that hill backwards otherwise I slipped out of my flip flops last August!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 10:19:32 PM »
I'm thinking that bulging calves would distract the eye from fat feet? At the very least surely your ankles would look very slim in between? I am so impressed with all the walking.....we have struggled in many a hire car to get up those hills from Kalamar ......I can't imagine how it must hurt to walk up them!  :laugh:

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »
The hill up from Kalamar beach club to near cafe vita is a real chalange , I am glad I'm not on my own! My wife can walk it and hold a conversation (tends to be a one-sided conversation As I tend not to answer ) whilst my sons run up it for fun!!! I prefer to take advantage of the free bus.
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »
After going almost a week without a single bite....a first :) we awoke yesterday to find ourselves covered in them >:( It was as if some biting thing had snuck under the sheets with us and went to town on us during the night. The bed was duly strip searched for the offender but nothing was found. Everything was sprayed and returned....we have 2 mossie machines in the bedroom, I'm lathered with everything from Skin So Soft to Off and I'm taking B1 religiously but still I've been had :(
Well yesterday's walk was short and sweet, down to the harbour and straight onto the Palm Beach water taxi. I think if I only had one day in Kalkan, I'd spend it here. Such a lovely chilled out vibe and Dimitris and the boys look after us so well. The sea is blummin cold here, even in September due to the springs, but it was a hot one yesterday so just what we needed. I hope Allah will forgive me, but the 5 o'clock Call to Prayer signals one thing to me when we're at Palm....and one thing only....the start of cocktail hour ;D ;D My favourite time of the day here has to be sitting on my lounger, in the early evening warm sun drinking a cocktail and either reading my book or watching the boats come in. Yesterday's Mojito was accompanied by the boat flotilla arriving back at the harbour and engaging in some kind of elaborate Jenga game to bring their vessels to dock....a frontline sunbed at Palm is the perfect vantage point. We left at 6.30 having been the first to arrive and the last to leave - just how I like it ;)
Today's walk was equally as short, but it was a tough one up to the bus station for the 7.30am bus to Fethiye. It was a lovely journey, practically empty, us the only foreigners taking in all the sights you don't see from when in a car. I love market day in Fethiye, just for the experience.....we very rarely buy anything these days but fruit and veg but I had bought a lovely scarf last year and hoped to purchase another....sadly I couldn't find the same stall. No matter....the vendors are hilarious and say anything to get you to stop...."cheaper than Pikeys" was new for this year :) A stroll along the front and we were treated to the sight of a giant turtle bobbing up and down between the boats. Into the old town for shopping and drinks finally ending up at the Fish Market for lunch. We bought a lovely Sea Bass to share and BH bought some Super King prawns to take back with us. The Sea Bass was so fresh and tasty, you could almost taste the sea....heaven.
The bus journey back was not as pleasant as going....arriving at the bus station to be told the 2pm was full already at 1.45 meant a 2 hour wait almost for the next service....and believe me 2 hours at the bus station is not something you'd ever choose to do. We amused ourselves by watching a man taking all the canned drinks from one fridge and putting them into another.....he was a master class in how to make a 10 minute task last 2 hours......as I say, Fethiye Bus Station is not a place where you want to spend more than 10 minutes, let alone a couple of hours..... ::)
Safely back in blighty and ready for a night on the town.....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:46:49 AM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 06:07:57 PM »
Loving your reports K4E, keep them coming!  Raining and chilly back here!

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »
Loving the reports K4E! Allah will be fine with it, if its cocktail hour! I presonally cant think of a better thing it could possibly signal! I loved reading this one, was having a mojito on the lounger with you. Thank you, OH and I are missing Kalkan dreadfully and it's nice to read your reports for a Kalkan fix!

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 11:22:08 PM »
Enjoying your fab reports K4E.  Your day at Palm Beach Club sounds perfect and just like one of ours - first to arrive, last to leave...even down to the Mojito :) Even if we are staying in Komurluk we still take our hire car down to the harbour so we can take the water taxi over...all part of the experience.
Enjoy the rest of your hols, look forward to your reports :)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 11:48:08 PM »
Great report yet again, always make me chuckle, when I'm reading them my poor OH can't watch a programme in peace as I keep relaying them to him. Keep up the good work brings our visit in August nearer.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 04:37:18 AM »
In the summer,especially market day its a good idea to buy your return tickets when you arrive in the morning.The buses used to go hourly during the day but if you had to wait 2 hours that was even worse - great place for people watching but 2 hours........

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
So after a couple of days of not much walking but still trying to consume my body weight in food and drink  my clothes are a little....erm....snug :-[ Either that or someone has broken in and stole my clothes and replaced them with identical pieces just as size smaller :laugh:
Yesterday saw the return of our epic walks, starting by hiking up to the petrol station then across the footbridge into Kiziltas. Here we managed to go up and down as many paths as we could find....boy those hills are steep!! I hurt going up then panic coming down the gradients are so sharp I think I'm going to go a** over t**. I edge down taking baby steps...BH says I walk like I've had an "accident" in my sorts....cheek! Over the bridge and on to Komurluk and down the steps tp Palm Beach. It felt good going down the steps as opposed to up the steps...done this so many times over the years and this one can be a real killer. The villas are so tightly packed together in Komurluk and you almost feel intrusive using the steps...as opposed to Kiziltas where there is good space between the villas and apartments...lots of empty ones we noted .
Last night we ate at Fener. This is a popular lunch spot with members but don't overlook it for dinner. We had a great table right by the stack overlooking the harbour, far better than anything offered by the posher harbour restaurants where you tend to look into the boats...or at least I do :-[ it's rustic, lacks the polished furniture of its neighbours but it's good food and incredibly reasonable. Their ice cream is also a personal favourite of mine....I'm walking, I'm walking....or June won't be the only thing busting out all over
We finished the night off in Moonlight where one of the funniest characters in all of Kalkan runs the bar with his brother Mhuttin. Gyrol is like an angry bear, frowning and gesticulating but he always looks over and sniggers behind the backs of those on the receiving end of his "abuse". I nipped into see Nuri next door to have a chat and look at his bags and Gyrol followed me in telling me this year's colour is orange then proceeding to model the bags over his shoulder for me to choose....orange it is then.....style advice from a man who has worn the same shorts and t-shirt combo for the last 10 years :laugh:
Back at the bar I recounted the antics to BH who dropped the bombshell that he would also be buying a bag this year.....a work bag as his other was looking a bit worse for wear.....my gasp, apparently, could be heard in Akbel :o
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:48:56 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 07:21:57 PM »
Another fab report K4E. I am in awe of you and BH , tackling those kiziltas hills! If I'd have known you were taking a reccy, I would have asked you to check out the one we are staying at this summer, which is high up in them there hills, just below the yala road, hence we are hiring a car for the whole of our holiday, as we are wimps, unlike you!!  :D
Funnily enough, my gammy knees started while we were holidaying in a beautiful villa, above the medditeran hotel. I've now been told I need 2 knee replacements but I was only just turned 40 at the time! Scary, still we must be gluttons for punishment as we are staying even higher this year!! I just love the views from kiziltas, you feel like you are on top of the world!
A good pair of fit flops, a glass of wine and a fag or 2 always help me on my way, as does walking on my tiptoes, seems to take the strain off the addled kneecaps!!  ;D
We intend to try fener for dinner as well as breakfast and lunch this year as we will be feeding 3 hungry teenagers as well as ourselves, so we need to budget a bit better. So glad you mentioned this. It's good to know the quality is still good of an evening and I always check the dinner menu out at lunchtime when we are there and it's always sounded really appetising.
Really loving your reports, keep em coming.  8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:59:31 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »
A man bag!!  ::) does that come out of the K4E bag fund?? How shocking!!
So impressed by all the walking and also a little concerned that we will be doing minimal walking in October as we are staying in one of the rooms sandwiched neatly between the Korsan and the Fish Terrace.....everything in extremely easy reach? Will have to do lots of shopping so that we walk up the hills.....well that's my excuse!  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
Oh goodness the days seem to be running away with themselves....over halfway through our trip already :(
Yesterday we didn't walk, but boy have made up for that today, back up the new road again. It seemed twice as hard this time probably because there's more of my to drag up the hill ;D before we came away I bought a lovely dress in a sample sale and my girls immediately said that's a "Kalkan dress". It fitted perfectly and now I'm busting out of the top of it like Diana Dores :o so I'm circumnavigating the pool here for some upper body shaping but I feel it's a lost cause.....
We spent yesterday at the town beach....another perfect day. How we laughed at some newbies attempting to get in and out of the water without shoes. We tried hard not to watch or laugh but the tears were rolling down our cheeks....I thought one of the girls would have to spend the rest of her life in the sea. She'd watched her companions and thought no way....I feel their pain having done the same thing ourselves the first time we went to the beach. At some point when you are struggling to get in the sea you should stop and turn back but you don't....then once you are in the water you wonder how on earth you are going to get out. The problem is you can't take a run at the slope because the stones hurt your feet, you're trying to hang on to your bikini bottoms because the sea is dragging you back, whilst at the same time laughing hysterically. Laughing so hard makes you lose all motor neurone function and ability to make rational decisions and you simply end up entertaining the beach. It's a right of passage. Nowadays I skip in and out with my crocs like a real pro.....but I've had years of practice. Still not as good as the Turkish children who are just amazing.
Must mention our meal in Ozalp a few night back. We had Chateaubriand and it was excellent, really super and with drinks, free starter of puffy bread, olives and dips came to 116tl. Fabulous!!
Still reeling from the shock of BH's bag decision....told him at has to come out of the Efes fund which is already seriously depleted. The very idea I might have to share my bag fund is unthinkable. How very dare he!!!

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »
This made me laugh so much  ;D. Just what I needed to help recover from the cold I picked up on the plane home  :P.  keep these fab reports coming K4E  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Va Va June

Started by kalkan4eva on Holiday Reports and Reviews

32 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 06:13:33 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
June jaunt!

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

18 Replies
Last post July 22, 2018, 11:37:40 AM
by keith
xx
Weather in June

Started by Beckolars on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 08:11:32 AM
by cleworthallray
xx
Flaming June

Started by kalkan4eva on Holiday Reports and Reviews

89 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 10:03:44 AM
by Skunk

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal