Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: kalkan4eva on June 05, 2013, 03:25:33 PM

Title: June is busting out all over.....
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 05, 2013, 03:25:33 PM
Well we are here.....hurrah :laugh:
Anyone who is travelling from Terminal 1 in Manchester anytime soon should allow even more time than usual as they only have 7 out 14 security points open (and one of those is dedicated to pushchairs/wheelchairs) whilst they are improving our airport! The result of their efforts is causing huge queues....too much of my champagne time was spent in this area, sadly. You have been warned. By the time we got through there was only enough time for a quick duty free shop and two "nerve" Cliquots before we were called to board :P
After that everything was plain sailing....great flight and seamless pick-up by Enes in their pimp-my-ridemobile for just the two of us. Whilst I studiously avoided any calibrating of hand-held scales with kettlebells at home by BH, it appears he has aggravated an "old war wound" and so first stop today was not to stock up on Efes but to our best friend at the Pharmacy who greeted us like long lost family on "Surprise Surprise". Loved it when BH was told he couldn't drink with the pills - they were promptly returned to the shelf :) Still we have lotions and potions and I got my fat feet pills early....prevention is better than cure, I say :angel:
Wall to wall sunshine and an exchange rate of 2.86 at the IS Bank Exchange ATM (just under 2tl charged to change £300) thanks for the tip BubblesG. Fabulous Turkish Bath at Atlantis, with foot scrub, so I now feel clean beyond clean :)
Heading into the village tonight....as tradition dictates we will be eating at Merkez

Efes 7tl in The Swan - no Rugby though :(
Title: Re: June is busting out all over.....
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on June 05, 2013, 04:09:16 PM
Have a fab holiday K4E!! So jealous of you all out there, we always go in June and would normally be heading out this week but have to wait till Sep this year. Look forward to your reports :D :D :D
Post by: Rachey on June 05, 2013, 04:17:10 PM
Lovely to have you here at last!   :laugh:
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 05, 2013, 04:19:00 PM
LOL about the pills....deffo put them back!! copious amounts Efes and a little deep heat that should do it!! ;D ...why cant airports do work in the winter out of holiday season or is that too simple, especially as that would seem inside??.. ::)
Post by: Agent Ottoman on June 05, 2013, 05:55:54 PM
Have a fabulous holiday K4E, really looking forward to reading your reports.  ;D
Post by: suzyq1 on June 05, 2013, 08:40:54 PM
Hope you have a great holiday K4E and I too look forward to hearing all about it.
Please enlighten me re the fat feet pills! I'm guessing you must be like me and swell up in the heat so I would be interested to hear of any remedies. I know I should drink more water but all good intentions seem to out of the window when presented with either alcohol or a glass of water!
Would love to hear about Palm Beach Club re prices of sun beds etc and maybe you could continue with the stirling work carried out by the other agents and get me an efes price as we will be staying in the Komurluk area and I seem to remember it was a favourite of yours and will be our "local"when we go in August! Have fun!

Suzyq1
Post by: antler on June 05, 2013, 08:58:11 PM
Hello K4E,
Day One of.......21, is it?!  Wow...!
That's a long time away from Lidl Champers!
Will be glued to the tablet for your next instalment, sat here in my sun lounge enjoying my Yankee Candle!
:-)
Post by: Babs on June 05, 2013, 10:15:22 PM
Hooray the beginning of the long awaited K4E report.....have fun!
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 05, 2013, 10:16:42 PM
Hey!! Glad you arrived safe and sound and have got all your preparations sorted for you and BH to have a fabulous holiday. So looking forward to reading your reports.  8) :)
Post by: janeandady on June 05, 2013, 10:26:40 PM
Great report, and I look forward to reading more over the next few days. We come out next Wednesday, and cannot wait! I too am intrigued as to the fat feet pills as I always suffer too. What are they, do they work, and which pharmacy do you get them from?
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 05, 2013, 10:45:41 PM
I bought a T shirt in Fat face ;D ;D   
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 07, 2013, 07:53:39 AM
Well after a couple of days drinking like two over-excited teenagers at the first school disco, we've decided to calm down a bit. Lots of alcohol makes two excited teenagers two very delicate wallflowers the following day.
Yesterday was Market Day, of course, so we popped up there early - a bit subdued, shall we say :). We needed some provisions and a couple of watches required the attention of our favourite lady in the market. BH took it upon himself to raid the K4E bag fund, albeit temporarily, just in case we "need" anything extra. At the spice stall we bought our green tea and those lovely sweet coated nuts when BH spied some pistachios.....there are two types, said the vendor, smart price or taste the difference was the gist of it - BH went for the latter. A huge bag of pistachios, plus the nuts and green tea and he was relieved of 70tl which he promptly took from the bag fund :o :o "I'll eat them" he said you better eat the bloody shells as well for that price ;)
The old war wound has started to improve thanks to our best friend the pharmacist so we took ourselves off into the village for a small stroll to see what's changed....plus BH was fancying some fish (to go with those pistachios..... ::)) for lunch so we made our way down to the little fish market to find it had gone :( :(It's a good few years since we've been down there so it may have closed down years ago, but it still made us feel very sad that another of the small independent retailers may have fallen victim to the influx of supermarkets. We also felt guilty for not supporting the fish market more over the years :-[
The village is still beautiful and charming and looked gorgeous in the strong sunlight. We were glad to see the little beach cafe has returned and that all our favourite places were still in business. Walking up into the village I was on a secret bag reccee and BH was on a secret "Lions Tour" recce. A cursory glance at bags is not appropriate....they need your full attention so I will do better next time. BH found that a number of bars are showing the rugby so there will be plenty of opportunity for me to look at bags ad infinitum :) :)
Partly cloudy yesterday afternoon and today, 4 Efes in a pack 12.90 at Kipa and sparrows roasting nicely outside the deli opposite Parc

*fat feet pills are called frusemid...one every other day. Itstime put me onto them last year and her other good tip was make sure you are fairly close to a loo about an hour after taking them as you will wee for Britain :laugh:

*Antler I hope your Yankee candle doesn't smell of sangria :P

Post by: Lizilu20 on June 07, 2013, 02:14:58 PM
Another great report K4E!
In my minds eye I was walking down the road with you and watching those sparrows on the rotisserie!
 I didn't realise you could buy diuretics over the counter in Kakan as they are prescription only here, I'll have to check them out as my feet look just like my grandmas rag puddings after a few days.

The weather is still beautiful here but I'd still rather be in Kalkan  8) Good luck with the bag shopping and hope BH doesn't choke on his pistachio shells  ;D  ;D  ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 07, 2013, 05:00:51 PM
Pah! and Double Pah!!..scrawny little starlings going around on the hot magic Roundabout!! fatten them up first !! >:(
Post by: Babs on June 07, 2013, 06:29:59 PM
What is it with women and feet on here.......I may have to investigate these magic pills...although we are there in October this year and when we went at that time a couple of years ago I didn't have my usual fat foot problem......but put me in the heat all day well.........
The sad thing is I remember it happening to my mum and me thinking "oh is that another thing that happens when you get old" no offence fellow fat footers!!  :laugh:
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 07, 2013, 07:03:33 PM
The latest craze in NY is for foot surgery..it is known as Toe-besity................I kid you not!!! :o
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 08, 2013, 09:52:16 AM
Yesterday we took ourselves off on our first proper walk into the village and over to Kisla via the new walkway up from the beach. This really tastefully done - yes the activity points are a bit strange and out of place but I think this whole area looks so much nicer than it used to. First villa you come to on the walk up from the beach is Kismet - which will be home to another member later on in the season. Top location, one of the best in Kalkan but sadly I could not get in as the gate was locked.....no jokes about Scousers and breaking and entering please ::) we will try again later on during our stay. We did however wander around the new Korsan property just on the edge of the old town on the Kisla service road. What an amazing property this is going to be when finished, really amazing views and great location.
We were on our way down to Doy Doy last night when somehow we ended up in tanZore ??? We stopped to look at the menu and got chatting to Billy and before we knew it we were ordering. I had chicken jalfrezi and BH went for the prawn vindaloo and have to say both dishes were excellent, as was the nan bread. BH likes his curries hot and he said the vindaloo was perfect for flavour and heat and with two beers, glass of sauvignon blanc plus water a bill of 104tl was very surprising.....pleasantly so :) I know there's been a fair amount of debate on here about this restaurant but I would heartily recommend a visit if you fancy a change.
Today's walk was up the new road, right to the point where you first see Kalkan...amazing views coming down but lots of whining, mostly from me :-[ going up. We called into the bus station to check the times of the buses to Fethiye and Patara then over to Bim for Bim Bargains. There's not a huge range of products here but what there is is cheap so we stocked up as its a bit of an effort up that hill :)
We are spending these early days relaxing on the roof terrace and the lovely pool, water hammock sharing when required. Really chilled and loving every minute being here....even on the mammoth walk this morning. We hear the weather is scorching at home so enjoy it folks ;)
The sparrows look more like chickens today BL :)
Lal 19.90 in Migros as well as Kipa also the same price for 4 bottles of Efes in both stores 12.90.
2.88 to the £ from the ATM Exchange facility at IS Bank (1.30tl charge to exchange £300)
Post by: onelove on June 08, 2013, 12:31:52 PM
Great report kalkan4eve keep them coming, I'm sure everyone loves them as much as I (we) do.

Soooo please to hear you had a lovely meal @ TanZore last night, thanks for your kind words, much appreciated  ;) 8) ;).  Maybe Doy Doy tonight  :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 08, 2013, 07:20:12 PM
Wow, you are going to be going home a couple of stones lighter with all the walking you are doing!! Sounds like you're having a fab time and I'm looking forward to the next instalment.  :)
Post by: suzyq1 on June 08, 2013, 10:53:24 PM
Sounds like my sort of day - a walk, a chill round the pool followed by some great food and drink!
Glad you're having a great time. Look forward to your next report.

Suzyq1
P.S the walking will help with keeping those "fat feet" at bay!
Post by: antler on June 09, 2013, 05:20:08 AM
Ha ha! No, not Sangria scented, K4E - it's Midsummer Night in the conservatory, Winter Jasmine in the kithen and Fluffy Towels with a well-oiled bath (if you know what I mean?!)

Will PM you re Kismet and the offer to show you around...

Keep up the walking - never mind the fat feet, you'll have calves like an Olympic Athlete, soon!

Antler
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 09, 2013, 05:16:54 PM
We woke this morning to perfect weather...cloudless blue skies and brilliant sunshine. A welcome sight after a couple of hazy days. Isn't it remarkable how quickly you can downshift into the routine of sleeping, eating, drinking and doing naff all :laugh: of course our daily ritual includes a walk and today's was epic. I heard myself saying "let's walk down to Kalamar Beach Club and back".....I've no idea what planet I was on when I made that suggestion and had every reason to question it on the steep walk down when a 4x4 passed us revving and skidding trying to get up the hill. Nonetheless we ploughed on. Those of you who have done this climb and indeed, do it regularly, you have my admiration....it knocks spots off cardiac hill and some. By the time we reached Kalamar Road after what felt like an ascent up Everest I couldn't speak or breathe. Eventually, we walked on and decided to have a look at the villas being built on what was meant to green belt land in front of Lykia Estate. Last year we'd seen a few half finished villas and the enabling works for a few more so we thought we'd see how it looked. It was an OMG moment. What was just a few properties last year has turned into a mini village that starts up by the road that takes you to Lykia Hotel and extends all the way down to the path that runs from Indigo Beach Club up to the same hotel. Did they have an army of builders working on this over the winter? It appears to be owned by the Samira Group and we couldn't work out if they were villas/apartments for sale or rent. The construction work is quite tastefully executed and the properties are connected by wooden walkways which takes you all the way down to the path from Indigo, where there is a bar, or possibly a communal area for those staying in the properties. I have to say it did shock us that huge swathes of green belt land has now gone forever when there are meant to restrictions on building work....very sad :( It also amazes me that people get hot under the collar over a fast food pizza franchise or live music...and god forbid an Indian restaurant but no-one mentions that great tracts of supposedly protected space has been developed with yet more accommodation....ah well!
Last night we had cocktails at Yakamoz and dinner at White Table. Both were excellent. Yigit advised us that their new sweet this year is homemade vanilla ice cream with black pepper and Johnnie Walker whiskey....I thought their baked lemon cheesecake would be hard to beat.. But this was divine. We shared a cheesecake and an ice cream......hence the walking...sadly Lizilu I'm not losing stones, I'm keeping the impending weight gain at bay, just....my calves on the other hand are bulging in a very unattractive way :(

I've failed miserably to spot DC, so far....but I'm sceptical. Trying to keep an open mind as being proved wrong would be fab!! I did spot that large Efes in Yakamoz is 8.5tl and that the sparrows looking more like chickens with each passing day are 12tl.

If we do spot DC, I'll be sure to offer him some pistachios....we appear to still have a glut of them ::)
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 09, 2013, 05:36:39 PM
Great report..yes that hill is a killer...when iv'e done it I always used to  stop for a reward fag when I reach elixir!!ooops! maybe fags is why it feels so steep! ::)  spot on about the land going but kalkan is the goose that laid the golden egg so I suppose it was inevitable to some extent..Love Yakamoz!..chilling out on throne chairs with jimmy!!..maybe those chickens on the hot magic roundabout are being given steroids before the chop!! ;)
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on June 09, 2013, 05:41:30 PM
Great report K4E. We also slip into 'Turkishtime' very quickly!! We had a meal at Whitetable last year and really enjoyed it. I'm sitting here in West Yorkshire with a gin and tonic and the bbq warming up thinking that 3 weeks today I will have broken up from work and we'll be off to Ibiza tomorrow!! Look forward to more reports coming in!!
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 09, 2013, 06:42:27 PM
Fantastic report K4E. I'm so enjoying your holiday!!!!
We had a walk by indigo beach club when we were there in April and there was heavy duty traffic in our way, hence we didn't get very far. I just presumed that maybe a villa was being built, not a village! You're right, it's such a shame  :(

I don't suppose bulging calves are aesthetically pleasing to the eye but at least they are not accompanied by fat feet!!

Roll on the next instalment!!!  8) :)
Post by: Kalkan regular on June 09, 2013, 08:37:15 PM
The new property built down by the path from The Indigo beach club is owned by Aslan, who owns the Asfia, Lykia Gardens hotel, The Lykia Residence Hotel and Spa, Oasis Hotel, Lykia Exclusive and Kas Peninsular Gardens. It's called the Lykia Pavillion and is mega expensive. Planning permission doesn't seem to be a problem.
Here's the website so you can check it out if you come into money. http://www.aykangroup.com/likya-pavilion/
Post by: muckyones on June 09, 2013, 09:03:17 PM
I ended up having to walk up that hill backwards otherwise I slipped out of my flip flops last August!
Post by: Babs on June 09, 2013, 10:19:32 PM
I'm thinking that bulging calves would distract the eye from fat feet? At the very least surely your ankles would look very slim in between? I am so impressed with all the walking.....we have struggled in many a hire car to get up those hills from Kalamar ......I can't imagine how it must hurt to walk up them!  :laugh:
Post by: hobbo on June 09, 2013, 10:52:57 PM
The hill up from Kalamar beach club to near cafe vita is a real chalange , I am glad I'm not on my own! My wife can walk it and hold a conversation (tends to be a one-sided conversation As I tend not to answer ) whilst my sons run up it for fun!!! I prefer to take advantage of the free bus.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 11, 2013, 05:30:20 PM
After going almost a week without a single bite....a first :) we awoke yesterday to find ourselves covered in them >:( It was as if some biting thing had snuck under the sheets with us and went to town on us during the night. The bed was duly strip searched for the offender but nothing was found. Everything was sprayed and returned....we have 2 mossie machines in the bedroom, I'm lathered with everything from Skin So Soft to Off and I'm taking B1 religiously but still I've been had :(
Well yesterday's walk was short and sweet, down to the harbour and straight onto the Palm Beach water taxi. I think if I only had one day in Kalkan, I'd spend it here. Such a lovely chilled out vibe and Dimitris and the boys look after us so well. The sea is blummin cold here, even in September due to the springs, but it was a hot one yesterday so just what we needed. I hope Allah will forgive me, but the 5 o'clock Call to Prayer signals one thing to me when we're at Palm....and one thing only....the start of cocktail hour ;D ;D My favourite time of the day here has to be sitting on my lounger, in the early evening warm sun drinking a cocktail and either reading my book or watching the boats come in. Yesterday's Mojito was accompanied by the boat flotilla arriving back at the harbour and engaging in some kind of elaborate Jenga game to bring their vessels to dock....a frontline sunbed at Palm is the perfect vantage point. We left at 6.30 having been the first to arrive and the last to leave - just how I like it ;)
Today's walk was equally as short, but it was a tough one up to the bus station for the 7.30am bus to Fethiye. It was a lovely journey, practically empty, us the only foreigners taking in all the sights you don't see from when in a car. I love market day in Fethiye, just for the experience.....we very rarely buy anything these days but fruit and veg but I had bought a lovely scarf last year and hoped to purchase another....sadly I couldn't find the same stall. No matter....the vendors are hilarious and say anything to get you to stop...."cheaper than Pikeys" was new for this year :) A stroll along the front and we were treated to the sight of a giant turtle bobbing up and down between the boats. Into the old town for shopping and drinks finally ending up at the Fish Market for lunch. We bought a lovely Sea Bass to share and BH bought some Super King prawns to take back with us. The Sea Bass was so fresh and tasty, you could almost taste the sea....heaven.
The bus journey back was not as pleasant as going....arriving at the bus station to be told the 2pm was full already at 1.45 meant a 2 hour wait almost for the next service....and believe me 2 hours at the bus station is not something you'd ever choose to do. We amused ourselves by watching a man taking all the canned drinks from one fridge and putting them into another.....he was a master class in how to make a 10 minute task last 2 hours......as I say, Fethiye Bus Station is not a place where you want to spend more than 10 minutes, let alone a couple of hours..... ::)
Safely back in blighty and ready for a night on the town.....
Post by: Rachey on June 11, 2013, 06:07:57 PM
Loving your reports K4E, keep them coming!  Raining and chilly back here!
Post by: Agent Ottoman on June 11, 2013, 06:18:14 PM
Loving the reports K4E! Allah will be fine with it, if its cocktail hour! I presonally cant think of a better thing it could possibly signal! I loved reading this one, was having a mojito on the lounger with you. Thank you, OH and I are missing Kalkan dreadfully and it's nice to read your reports for a Kalkan fix!
Post by: alisonh on June 11, 2013, 11:22:08 PM
Enjoying your fab reports K4E.  Your day at Palm Beach Club sounds perfect and just like one of ours - first to arrive, last to leave...even down to the Mojito :) Even if we are staying in Komurluk we still take our hire car down to the harbour so we can take the water taxi over...all part of the experience.
Enjoy the rest of your hols, look forward to your reports :)
Post by: clara 50 on June 11, 2013, 11:48:08 PM
Great report yet again, always make me chuckle, when I'm reading them my poor OH can't watch a programme in peace as I keep relaying them to him. Keep up the good work brings our visit in August nearer.
Post by: amber on June 12, 2013, 04:37:18 AM
In the summer,especially market day its a good idea to buy your return tickets when you arrive in the morning.The buses used to go hourly during the day but if you had to wait 2 hours that was even worse - great place for people watching but 2 hours........
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 13, 2013, 04:43:50 PM
So after a couple of days of not much walking but still trying to consume my body weight in food and drink  my clothes are a little....erm....snug :-[ Either that or someone has broken in and stole my clothes and replaced them with identical pieces just as size smaller :laugh:
Yesterday saw the return of our epic walks, starting by hiking up to the petrol station then across the footbridge into Kiziltas. Here we managed to go up and down as many paths as we could find....boy those hills are steep!! I hurt going up then panic coming down the gradients are so sharp I think I'm going to go a** over t**. I edge down taking baby steps...BH says I walk like I've had an "accident" in my sorts....cheek! Over the bridge and on to Komurluk and down the steps tp Palm Beach. It felt good going down the steps as opposed to up the steps...done this so many times over the years and this one can be a real killer. The villas are so tightly packed together in Komurluk and you almost feel intrusive using the steps...as opposed to Kiziltas where there is good space between the villas and apartments...lots of empty ones we noted .
Last night we ate at Fener. This is a popular lunch spot with members but don't overlook it for dinner. We had a great table right by the stack overlooking the harbour, far better than anything offered by the posher harbour restaurants where you tend to look into the boats...or at least I do :-[ it's rustic, lacks the polished furniture of its neighbours but it's good food and incredibly reasonable. Their ice cream is also a personal favourite of mine....I'm walking, I'm walking....or June won't be the only thing busting out all over
We finished the night off in Moonlight where one of the funniest characters in all of Kalkan runs the bar with his brother Mhuttin. Gyrol is like an angry bear, frowning and gesticulating but he always looks over and sniggers behind the backs of those on the receiving end of his "abuse". I nipped into see Nuri next door to have a chat and look at his bags and Gyrol followed me in telling me this year's colour is orange then proceeding to model the bags over his shoulder for me to choose....orange it is then.....style advice from a man who has worn the same shorts and t-shirt combo for the last 10 years :laugh:
Back at the bar I recounted the antics to BH who dropped the bombshell that he would also be buying a bag this year.....a work bag as his other was looking a bit worse for wear.....my gasp, apparently, could be heard in Akbel :o
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 13, 2013, 07:21:57 PM
Another fab report K4E. I am in awe of you and BH , tackling those kiziltas hills! If I'd have known you were taking a reccy, I would have asked you to check out the one we are staying at this summer, which is high up in them there hills, just below the yala road, hence we are hiring a car for the whole of our holiday, as we are wimps, unlike you!!  :D
Funnily enough, my gammy knees started while we were holidaying in a beautiful villa, above the medditeran hotel. I've now been told I need 2 knee replacements but I was only just turned 40 at the time! Scary, still we must be gluttons for punishment as we are staying even higher this year!! I just love the views from kiziltas, you feel like you are on top of the world!
A good pair of fit flops, a glass of wine and a fag or 2 always help me on my way, as does walking on my tiptoes, seems to take the strain off the addled kneecaps!!  ;D
We intend to try fener for dinner as well as breakfast and lunch this year as we will be feeding 3 hungry teenagers as well as ourselves, so we need to budget a bit better. So glad you mentioned this. It's good to know the quality is still good of an evening and I always check the dinner menu out at lunchtime when we are there and it's always sounded really appetising.
Really loving your reports, keep em coming.  8)
Post by: Babs on June 13, 2013, 10:40:56 PM
A man bag!!  ::) does that come out of the K4E bag fund?? How shocking!!
So impressed by all the walking and also a little concerned that we will be doing minimal walking in October as we are staying in one of the rooms sandwiched neatly between the Korsan and the Fish Terrace.....everything in extremely easy reach? Will have to do lots of shopping so that we walk up the hills.....well that's my excuse!  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 15, 2013, 11:01:48 AM
Oh goodness the days seem to be running away with themselves....over halfway through our trip already :(
Yesterday we didn't walk, but boy have made up for that today, back up the new road again. It seemed twice as hard this time probably because there's more of my to drag up the hill ;D before we came away I bought a lovely dress in a sample sale and my girls immediately said that's a "Kalkan dress". It fitted perfectly and now I'm busting out of the top of it like Diana Dores :o so I'm circumnavigating the pool here for some upper body shaping but I feel it's a lost cause.....
We spent yesterday at the town beach....another perfect day. How we laughed at some newbies attempting to get in and out of the water without shoes. We tried hard not to watch or laugh but the tears were rolling down our cheeks....I thought one of the girls would have to spend the rest of her life in the sea. She'd watched her companions and thought no way....I feel their pain having done the same thing ourselves the first time we went to the beach. At some point when you are struggling to get in the sea you should stop and turn back but you don't....then once you are in the water you wonder how on earth you are going to get out. The problem is you can't take a run at the slope because the stones hurt your feet, you're trying to hang on to your bikini bottoms because the sea is dragging you back, whilst at the same time laughing hysterically. Laughing so hard makes you lose all motor neurone function and ability to make rational decisions and you simply end up entertaining the beach. It's a right of passage. Nowadays I skip in and out with my crocs like a real pro.....but I've had years of practice. Still not as good as the Turkish children who are just amazing.
Must mention our meal in Ozalp a few night back. We had Chateaubriand and it was excellent, really super and with drinks, free starter of puffy bread, olives and dips came to 116tl. Fabulous!!
Still reeling from the shock of BH's bag decision....told him at has to come out of the Efes fund which is already seriously depleted. The very idea I might have to share my bag fund is unthinkable. How very dare he!!!
Post by: Rachey on June 15, 2013, 03:57:18 PM
This made me laugh so much  ;D. Just what I needed to help recover from the cold I picked up on the plane home  :P.  keep these fab reports coming K4E  :laugh:
Post by: Agent Ottoman on June 16, 2013, 12:00:21 PM
Hey K4E what fantastic reports! Yes how very dare he!! Definitely needs to come out of the Efes fund! At least your OH is using his for work, mine bought a man bag which has been used twice so far >:( hope it gets more use!! My bag purchase was orange! They are certainly working the orange this season!! Looking forward to reading the next instalment! Have a fab time!

PS how are things there with the new licensing laws? Heard that there's no alcohol sales on beaches/beach clubs in Kas? Is anything similar happening in Kalkan?
Post by: Derbyshire on June 16, 2013, 01:31:38 PM
Hi K4E thank you for fantastic reports  keep these reports coming thank you have a fab time
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 18, 2013, 07:56:53 AM
We are into our final week.....where did that go? :( the past two weeks have flown whilst at the same time it feels like an age since we arrived. That night we got here, two things got broken. A newly shellacked nail - ladies who shellac, you will know my pain - and a litre of Absolute bought at Dalaman duty free. The bottle somehow found its way from the chair to the floor when two tired people aren't being careful. At the time I couldn't tell you which I found the most distressing...having never had a shellac before and the promise of great looking nails for three weeks I think perhaps I mourned the loss of my nail more than the vodka....which I just cleaned up with a cheery "no use crying over spilt vodka". I suspect BH wanted to kill me at this point ::) 2 weeks in and we are out of vodka, my shellac forcibly removed after a week when it started to look shabby so now I think it's the vodka that I should have cried over as I nearly cried when I saw the price of a replacement :o. I didn't know whether we should bite the bullet and use the kitty which has become BH's bag fund >:( to buy another bottle of Absolute or go for a bottle of half the price Turkish stuff. We settled on the Tukish vodka and it's actually ok...! BH drinks his with coke and I have mine with all variety of mixers....including my new favourite pomegranate flavoured fizzy water.
We are spending the next few days trying to cram in as much as possible...except we won't make Patara this year :( A couple of aborted attempts to pick up a dolmus mean we failed so we've abandoned this as 100tl in a taxi is more than I want to pay.....what with extra bags and everything...!!
Have been back to Palm though, it would be rude not to. If you're looking for prices this year it cost us 160tl for the day (tea and biscuits on arrival, several bottles of water ( they are smaller this year...) several beers, lunch for two, ice creams x2, mojitos x2, a glass of lal, homemade lemonade and two sunbeds and a parasol)
We've also been back to tanZore, again this was excellent. I also wanted to mention that we ate at Sofra a few nights back...someone on here had given it a poor review but I wanted to say we had a very good meal. I had fillet steak in pepper sauce and BH had the Seafood platter from the specials and we thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a lovely mid priced restaurant with, in my opinion, the best views of all the roof top restaurants. Ask Mehmet to sort you a front line table and sit back and take it in...just special.
Last night was our first night in and BH cooked the amazing prawns we'd bought in the fish market in salt, pepper and chilli marinade to start, followed by fillet steaks in a mushroom sauce with wedges and salad....Antler would have been proud!
I don't know whether it was the duty free bubbly we opened or the fact BH made us such a lovely dinner, but I think.... I think I may have offered to share my bag fund with him.
Today, I will have no recollection of that whatsoever..... ;) >:D
Post by: Babs on June 18, 2013, 08:08:04 AM
Oh K4E you promised to share your bag fund! I'm so shocked.....you just need to hope he has no recollection of it either!  :laugh:
I share your pain re your nails.....every holiday I debate the nail issue and usually just do the toe nails only to see the varnish disappear under a swathe of mozzie repellent. I was so excited that after having my first gel manicure a few weeks ago to see it lasted for 3 weeks.....well apart from where I had a little run in with a cheese grater! you can imagine my disappointment to discover that the person who did them is away this weekend when I was going to get both fingers and toes done ready for our trip to Dubrovnik next week!
Anyway enough of the nail drivvle.......have a brilliant last week.....say hello to Palm Beach for us....my favourite place.....in fact the place I 'put myself' when at the dentist to relax!

ps......don't do anything rash with the bag fund!!
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on June 18, 2013, 10:16:24 AM
I share your pain with the nails! I have acrylics on and nearly every holiday I lose one as the suncream weakens them. Loving your reports!
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 18, 2013, 10:59:51 AM
Wow K4E, I can't believe that 2 weeks have gone by since the start of your holidays. What a shame about patara. I hope they sort the dolmus situation out  I think Kalkan is the only turkish resort we've been to without a dolmus service around the town. It makes it difficult to explore for people who don't want to use their holiday spends on taxis and let's face it, Kalkan isn't  the easiest of places to explore in itself. We are staying up in kiziltas but if we didn't hire a car and wanted to go to cafe vita for example, for lunch, we'd be snookered. In April it would have been fine to walk, but not in the searing August heat!
Ok, rant over  ;D glad you are having a wonderful holiday and eating some delicious food by the sounds of it!
I feel for you with the nails and vodka - not sure which I'd be more devastated over, it's a close call!!
Enjoy the rest of your week and can't wait for the next episode.  :) 8)
Post by: antler on June 18, 2013, 08:26:31 PM
I am so proud of you, too, Mr K4E.  Take the rest of the holiday off - you deserve it, after such a lovely meal. And make sure you get compensated  for the Bag Fund! (Summer is back in the UK - 23C on the Wetherby patio this evening.....)

Antler
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 21, 2013, 06:48:55 PM
The days are evaporating faster than BH's first Efes of the day :( :(
Yesterday was our last market day, last chance to stock up on all those things we needed to take back to UK...green tea, spices, Turkish delight and underpants ;) Surprisingly we have no need to buy an more pistachios as the bag bought in our first few days has failed to evaporate at the same speed as Efes ;D
We were heading up to the Berzigan road after the market to spend the afternoon with our friends who are renting a villa up there. "We'll bring lunch" we said...which of course will include beer and wine :) "Bring your swimming stuff" they said and we packed a bag. "We'll walk up" we said. I'll just repeat that for the cheap seats...."We'll WALK up". I do believe BH said it would be good....not the words he was using when we were practically vertically climbing the roads through upper Kiziltas, in the midday sun, on the hottest day so far, with baggage....and no I don't mean me :laugh: A bag with towels, 40 different sun creams, a change of clothes and two cameras for me and a cool bag with 8 beers, 2 bottles if wine and the perishables for lunch in his. We dived into their pool on arrival....well I fell in to be frank in an ungainly and unattractive way. I think our walking is done.
As if to ram that point home we've been on a boat trip today. Left it way too late for either Osman or Adam to fit us in on a Yildiz boat...July before there's spaces on their boats so we decided on Pina X 1 which I can thoroughly recommend. Really super day out, excellent food and probably the longest we have spent out at sea in all our years of coming here. Plus Captain Abdil made the best mud ever...then spread it over himself and lay down on the beach and covered himself with stones....we duly followed. A hot stone mud wrap would set you back at least £60 in a spa and here we were getting ours as part of the package. Fab :)
Eating, drinking and topping up the tans as if our lives depended on it.
Next up....bag shopping. This will be interesting  ;)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 21, 2013, 08:26:54 PM
Brilliant k4e. Sounds like you have had a wonderful holiday.  :D
Post by: Babs on June 21, 2013, 09:18:54 PM
Looking forward to the bag episode!
Post by: antler on June 21, 2013, 10:02:16 PM
How are the mozzie bites, K4E?! And the ankles........?
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 22, 2013, 10:39:28 PM
Another fantastic report K4E, your calves will be like Fatima whitbreads by the time you get home  ;D
We had a fab day on the piña - x 1 too, good choice. Hope you can fit in another report before you have to go home, meanwhile, enjoy the rest of your holiday and enjoy your bag shopping!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 24, 2013, 10:34:30 AM
It's our last day :( :(
Tonight the Enes driver will come to collect us and we will wave goodbye to Eyup and the resident dog Zoe.....oh and the cats, kittens, tortoise and the rest of the menagerie that reside here at HanInn. These past three weeks have flown by in a haze of fun, laughter, eating, drinking and sunshine. How we love this place. Already booked for next June...it will take more than a searchlight, oversize cocktails and "Little Englanders" to stop us from coming back ;) :-*
Well bag shopping was not as bad as I expected....the man bag was purchased....along with 3 for me.......and before you say it, Misty....I know they are fakes :laugh:  Three mulberries, including the man bag and a Longchamps tote....Nuri threw a couple of small Longchamps in as a gesture and I did, as Guyrol suggested, bought orange.
Nothing left to do today except drink all the alcohol and consume all the food we have left and lie in the sun....bliss.
Just thought I'd share some final thoughts with you......in no particular order, with perhaps the exception of the first.

1. Kalkan is specIal. It's people and the place remain charming and whilst changes are happening...and we've seen those over the years, the centre of the village remains quite unspoilt, unique and has an atmosphere all of its own. A mix of traditional Turkey with European influence and decades away from being Marmaris, if ever.....

2. Compressed cans of antiperspirant do not last as long as a regular size, despite their claims.

3. Mosquitos are pretty rampant this year. I have taken every precaution known to man and still we have been bitten to excess. HanInn is full of greenery, and that may be the problem, but my own theory is the lack of Mozzie Busters. Not once, during our entire stay have we seen them out and about...spraying >:( Plus the drains are particularly stinky this year so perhaps that's another problem....? We are going to switch to no protection at all next year.....!

4. The Kalcankles were great this year thanks to Frusemid. On the days I forgot to take the tablet, I felt the difference. Also, I found a cure for my other annoyance here...Kalkan Frizz. Despite the heat and high humidity level my hair remained frizz free :o Avon Morroccan Oil 360 hair masque applied to my hair every other day at around 3pm has been my saviour.

5. Our favourite restaurant this year was Mussakka....closely followed by Gourmet. I'd like to also mention Ozalps new terrace is great for people watching and amongst the cheapest in town. Of the new restaurants we tried, Rainbow Terrace and tanZore were the best....just our opinion.....I hope both of these places will be here next year.

6. Kalkan is definitely getting younger...plus there are many more Turkish and Iranians choosing to holiday here. For the first time on a boat trip, we had a Turkish couple with us and when we pulled up alongside Yildiz 3, around half their passengers were Turkish. Sea Bella is the nearest you will get to a booze cruise...again lots of young Turkish on board when we saw them on one of the stops. Not a criticism, just an observation.

7. It is sometimes more expensive to eat in than eat out. Competition is fierce this year between the restaurants but there are some great cheap places as well as some high end eateries....there is something for everyone, every taste, every budget.

8. Learn some Turkish...just a bit will delight the locals. At Antler's butcher we were leaving after our purchase when I said "see you later" in Turkish to which he replied, in English with a long slow wink "maybe...."  :laugh: :laugh:

9. June has been hot...and it's getting hotter. Even the sea at the town beach is warm...as warm as it should be in September

10. My Kalkan playlist needs some revision....somehow Michael Buble slipped in there singing Frosty the Snowman...quite bizarre in this heat.

11. All of you coming out here in the next few weeks and months...you lucky people. Just enjoy, seriously. Don't fret about things you read here on this forum, or Trip Advisor you can still find your piece of Paradise here. Those of you who are coming out for the first time...you will fall in love. We have spoken to so many first timers this year who are already talking about coming back, so Kalkan must be doing something right....

12. The IS bank ATM exchange gave us the best rate ever...2.92 to £

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, off to soak up the rays whilst we can as UK doesn't seem to do Summer any more :)

Toodlepip
Post by: Rachey on June 24, 2013, 01:30:00 PM
 :) :)Thank you for a brilliant, brilliant last post from your fab blog. I'll miss my daily dose so much!  We've already booked for twice next year with Eyup, so see you then!  Safe journey home  :)
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on June 24, 2013, 01:36:05 PM
Excellent last post Kalkan4eva! Have a safe journey home.
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 24, 2013, 01:47:18 PM
Yes, excellent reports K4E, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports and this last one was brilliant. Just loved your final thoughts.
Have a safe journey home and hope you've managed to leave enough space in your cases for all your lovely new bags.  :)
Post by: shee on June 24, 2013, 03:02:48 PM
Really enjoyed your blogs on here and we can not wait to have our first holiday in Kalkan 15 days and counting. Your information on here has really helped. Thanks again and have a safe journey home. :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 24, 2013, 03:16:52 PM
Yes, brilliant report K4E, thank you for brightening up my day, hope that you enjoy your last few hours, finishing off your alcohol, food and taking in the sunshine.  Safe journey home

Jayne
Post by: Skunk on June 24, 2013, 03:44:52 PM
You've given me hours of laughter and some excellent useful information. Thank you so much. Have a safe journey home. Give our regards to Eyup and the cats! Caroline
Post by: Charlie on June 24, 2013, 04:47:48 PM
Thanks K4E, really enjoyed reading your blogs and especially your final thoughts.  Will be there this time next week and after more than 12 years of visiting I'm just as excited as I was the first time!
Safe journey home.
Post by: helen1 on June 24, 2013, 06:09:37 PM
Thank you K4E, I've really enjoyed reading your reports especially the last one which was beautifully written. We will be there in 2 weeks time, our 7th year and the whole family are coming again. I think it says something about the place when a 21 yr old and 19 yr old want to tag along with girlfriend and friend......and it's not just that we're paying! Kalkan is special. :)
Post by: antler on June 24, 2013, 10:39:58 PM
Oh K4E, brilliant, you are SO cool - and reassuring!

Maybe it WILL be safe to go there in September, after all?

And we will live a few steps above Mussakka - joy!

Travel safe,

Antler

(That butcher says some strange things?)
Post by: onelove on June 25, 2013, 08:58:17 AM
Fantastic reports K4E, you are very talented  8) 8) 8)
Post by: samson on June 25, 2013, 10:46:00 AM
you are right about the mossi's. we have had a property here for 13 years but this year we have had loads of bites! never happened before. they even got my bare bum in bed the other night!!! :laugh:
Post by: onelove on June 25, 2013, 12:43:20 PM
How very odd, the sprayer has been out 2 times a week for the last 6 weeks on our street in Kalamar Bay, can't work out why it's not covering other areas  ???
Post by: suzyq1 on June 25, 2013, 09:53:45 PM
Thanks K4E for taking the time to write your wonderful reports. I'm sure we are all as disappointed about you coming home as you are. I know that I for one, logged on daily hoping that  you had managed to fit in a quick report. As a newbie I only have the pictures on the internet so your reports along with others have helped to bring it all to life.

Am looking to book somewhere for our first night when we come in August. Based on reviews on here I am toying with either mussakka or Gourmet. The rest of my party of 8 don't really have much idea about Kalkan as they have been happy for me to sort it all, so I'm keen to make a first good impression. Would value yours, or anyones else's opinion on either harbour side, or roof top for the first night?

Have read with interest some of the threads recently but nothing can dampen my enthusiasm and  excitement!
Hope you had a safe, non eventful journey home.

Suzyq1

Post by: kalkan4eva on June 25, 2013, 11:02:37 PM
Woke up late morning to sunshine, blue skies and wispy clouds. I looked out of the window and instead of the beautiful blue sea over the rooftops of Kalkan I saw the Clywydian Range over the rooftops of our village. Ah well...at least it wasn't raining and we have much to be thankful for :-[
Already counting the days till we are next there...in the meantime I look forward to hearing all about your visits to keep me going until then.

Thanks for your lovely comments....I feel quite emotional :'(

PS suzyq1, you won't go wrong with either Mussakka or Gourmet as they are both fab.
Post by: Agent Ottoman on June 26, 2013, 08:53:53 AM
K4E, thank you so much for your insightful, witty and entertaining reports! Will very much miss reading your latest updates now you're back. Also, thank you for the positivity and perspective that you have given us. Well needed I'd say!
Post by: itstime on June 26, 2013, 06:32:01 PM
Hi K4E it's been a long time since I posted regularly on here (after many years got a bit fed up with some of the arguments" ) but have been taking a look on and off. Have loved your reports and so glad the Kalkankles were helped by the magic pills:-)
Glad you had such a wonderful time.
We're out again on Tuesday and can't wait. Had a stressfull year with a housemove a few months ago and a particularly manic time at work so feeling the need of some Kalkan chill time. I know I won't be disappointed.
Thanks again for sharing your love of Kalkan with us all
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 26, 2013, 10:45:36 PM
Hey itstime.....welcome back :) I've been wondering where you'd got to - good to know all is ok. I think the forum goes through peaks and troughs in terms of opinionated wassocks but generally they get a rise out of people and then slope off. I hope this post will be the first of many more after your self imposed exile as you have been missed on here.
Have a fabulous holiday, you sound like you need a break....pack the SPF70 as its HOT HOT HOT :P
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 26, 2013, 11:46:31 PM
Hi itstime, nice to have you back on board! I hope you you managed to replace your duff water hammock and will soon be lounging on it!
K4E, I can only echo everyone's comments, not only were your fab reports entertaining, they reminded us just why we love kalkan and what a special place it is despite the "opinionated wazzocks" recent efforts to cause mayhem on this forum. Well said both of you.  :)
Post by: Jann on June 27, 2013, 03:50:13 PM
Please forgive my absence. I have dipped in and out of the forum periodically  - but pet health worries, work and life in general have interrupted.

K4E, you really should consider writing a regular blog for your writing skills are tremendous and I've immensely enjoyed reading your holiday report, along with others', so much so that the days cannot disappear quickly enough until our trip on 19th August.

By the way, is anyone else from this forum in the village then? If so, it would be lovely to meet up.

Must try harder to keep in touch with all of you on a more regular basis.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 27, 2013, 04:32:33 PM
Welcome back Jann and thank you for you lovely comments.
I'm a mere novice and my blog is nothing compared to Antler's - already counting to days down till their holiday and his blog from the Blog Spot. I will literally be able to see it as he writes.....
August will be here before you know it, so look forward to hearing all about your visit. Enjoy :)
Post by: Babs on July 01, 2013, 06:26:16 PM
Sounds as if you had a great time K4E........also sounds as if there has been more bickering on here while we have been away in Dubrovnik......has been lovely here but I don't feel as relaxed as I do in Kalkan......back home tomorrow and then 3 months and counting till Kalkan.
Thanks for the brilliant reports.....look forward to your next trip  :laugh:
Post by: littlelin on August 18, 2013, 07:27:08 PM
 From K4E: Also, I found a cure for my other annoyance here...Kalkan Frizz. Despite the heat and high humidity level my hair remained frizz free :o Avon Morroccan Oil 360 hair masque applied to my hair every other day at around 3pm has been my saviour.

Thans K4E while mooching around in Poundland yesterday came across some Russell & Mellor Frizz Ease which contains Morroccan Argo Oil. Tried it this morning on my fringe which is always frizzy & dry and it works. Poundland had a few different types of hair products containing this oil so a bargain at that price,  I'll be packing mine in my case in a few weeks.
Also thanks for the recommendation on Lidl Cava, just finished my first bottle, so apologies for any typos...
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal