Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Very "British" Restaurant-Kalamar Rd  (Read 7825 times)

Offline kele

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Very "British" Restaurant-Kalamar Rd
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »
Does anyone know if the restaurant run by a Scottish woman on the left hand side of the road, opposite the car hire place, & close to the Asfiya on Kalamar Rd ever has any customers? I''ve walked or driven past over the last 2 weeks on numerous occasions and never seen a customer! Which is hardly surprising as the place is trying to flog full English Breakfasts,  Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pud, and Brussels Sprouts amongst other things!
I''ve never seen an eating place so totally out of step with the style of Kalkan.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3815.0
You know who really gives kids a bad name? Posh and Becks

Offline DawnT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Very "British" Restaurant-Kalamar Rd
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:47:32 AM »
I saw it 2 weeks ago, and couldnt believe they were doing Roast Lamb & Yorkshire puds in 40 degree heat!! I agree with you though totally out of character for Kalkan!!  Mind you, so are the gogo dancers at Mojhito!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »
when i first went to kalkan over 22 years ago you couldn''t get steak and chips very easily.....now most restaurants sell it and many customers eat it..it''s hardly "turkish Cuisine"..but it''s what people want,if someone wants a roast good luck to them,if someone will sell them one good luck to them as well.I remember an occasion when a table of supposedly respectable adults were amazed that i had ordered egg and chips...how dare i!! it was on the menu and i fancied it after days or rich turkish food...The same party proceeded to tut tut....then they started sending food back ,then changing orders,then got louder and louder,they were clicking fingers at the waiter,no please and thank yous...then argued over the bill.......i enjoyed my egg chips,moral of the story?manners maketh man not food ;)

imagine if i had had the audacity to wear my football shirt!! ;) ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »
and there was me thinking giving people a choice was a good thing!  :)

The biggest part of life is evolution and places will change, Kalkan included! Some changes may not to be everyones taste, but may be to other peoples taste, as with anything you cannot please all the people all of the time.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:21:28 AM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:19:16 AM »
Its not just thıs one restaurant. Over the last few days I have notıced lots of places now doıng the ''full Englısh'' and several offerıng roast dınners.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »
Even more British, whatever happened to the Indian restaurant that used to be near the Kalamar roundabout?  

I had a lovely bacon & HP sarney at the Swan last night and still don''''t feel guilty.  I very much doubt that I will ever go for a Sunday roast in Kalkan, but the option remains open, as long as they have nice loos with plenty of authentic British graffiti.  

Whatever next - kebab restaurants in the UK?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:29:06 AM by EniÅŸte »

Offline kele

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:41:21 AM »
Sorry if my comments upset anyone, I was simply trying to understand how a Restaurant can exist, and more importantly prosper, with a menu that appears so out of step with the high quality international cuisine available in town.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 12:05:34 PM »
Hi Kele,

Not at all, its good to hear everyones views  :)

I was just waiting for the "usual gang" to come along again  ;D

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 01:01:04 PM »
Nooooooooo!!! I don''t understand how anyone would want to eat a roast dinner etc instead of delicious healthy Turkish food, I think even if I lived in Kalkan I wouldn''t miss English food, English food is made to keep us warm in the winter, it''s stodgy food, you wouldn''t want that in 40 degrees heat would you?

I think places like that will ruin Kalkan, I noticed this year there is a lot more places doing English breakfasts, cheesecake & stuff like that, to me it takes away the Turkish feel of Kalkan that I love so much.

I can understand people wanting something different as the food is very rich but not a roast dinner or English breakfast, please no!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »
Thats fine ..you have made your choice....it''s no different to eating a plate of Guvec(casserole)surely that is a winter warmer? yet very popular and eaten by many myself included in sweltering kalkan....i wish the new venture well, maybe it''s quiet because of it''s location i haven''t been up kalamar road this year....not far from cafe Vita?...whos homemade chips have been mentioned on several occasions(but they are turkish spuds!)and i can''t envisage kalkans demise being bought about by a yorkshire pudding!! ;) ;D

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 02:46:12 PM »
Someone must be eating there or the Scottish lass would have closed,she is providing a service which SOME people must use,does anyone know if all she serves is english breakfast and a sunday roast,has anyone eaten there.
If she is making a living let her get on with it,everyone has to start somewhere,good luck to her.

;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
Does she do haggis and chips?  8)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 03:15:43 PM »
...with a nice deep-fried salad on the side!  Whatever, I wish her well with this venture - perhaps sooner or later the urge for brussels sprouts will become overpowering!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »
maybe neeps and tatties ?

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »
When we were there at the beginning of June we only ever saw a couple of people there. The prices seemed reasonable. Apart from roast dinners, steak & chips, also on offer was homemade steak & kidney pie which might appeal to the expats. I don''t think that it was the menu which put us off, rather than the cheap looking decor. If this restaurant were in say Marmaris, then it''d probably do quite well, I personally don''t think it fits in with Kalkan. Mind you I was quite tempted to stop for an Irish Coffee which was only 6TL I think.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
It always amazes me that most resorts you go to, all the Red Barrell, Ye Olde English pubs type establishment''''s they are always mobbed out with Brits eating all day breakfasts Sunday roast etc......has no one ever heard of "when in Rome".......  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:07:46 PM by misty »

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »
Anyone giving it a try could usefully report back whether they are open all year round, to cater to those of suffering through a Kalkan winter, in my case my first!

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 06:19:40 PM »
Don''t blame you for wanting to know that Eniste, there would be something quite comforting about having a good old roast on those chilly nights in Kalkan during the winter.

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 06:21:51 PM »
Hi
If they do roast chicken, then I will try it in October. Yummm!
Em
Em

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 09:27:07 PM »
I am told on very good authority that the English breakfast is excellent value both in taste and value at 9 TL - they also offer the traditional Sunday Lunch and why not - if it sells - sell it
There are now other restaurants such as Cafe Zula offering an English Sunday dinner
Maybe its apparent lack of customers is its location or people, who think eating there and / or what it serves is somehow beneath them.
Those who talk about not wanting to eat English food here, only Turkish, may be somewhat misguided as there are very few "proper" Turkish restaurants in Kalkan, as it now caters for "European-ish" [is that a word?] palates.
Go to a real Turkish restaurant and you will never see food that is served in Kalkan or at Kalkan prices.
So please, if people want to eat egg and chips @ Cafe Vita or wherever, let them and if you live here 365 days a year, lets have some more choices
This restaurant is not going to change Kalkan, any more than a Burger King and be sure, if someone thinks they can make money at it - it will come...........,

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mosaic

Views: 3696
By: Rosire
Yildiz 1.JPG