Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Check Your Statements  (Read 6276 times)

Offline Bee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Check Your Statements
« on: July 29, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
Just a little word of warning.

A couple of years ago we were charged twice by a restaurant. We paid on a credit card and when we got home noticed the payment had gone through twice. At the time there seemed to be a problem with their machine so we took it on the chin and have never used cards since in restaurants.

Our friends returned on Friday from a great holiday but they too have fallen victims from the same restaurant using the same excuse that the machine didn't work first time.

This restaurant has been in Kalkan for years with the same owner. Little does he know, we are in Kalkan on Friday and will be making a visit to him! Armed with copies of our statements and will expect him to do the right thing and refund us.

So if anyone says the machine didn't work first time, be on your guard or better still use cash.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9929.0

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
Re: Check Your Statements
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:55:46 PM »
It would be nice if you were to name the restaurant so we could all be on our guard.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 07:58:57 PM »
It would be nice if you were to name the restaurant so we could all be on our guard.

You'd be vilified by all the good folk on here who count the owner as a personal friend for naming and shaming!!

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
Bee, Petewilka is right but, that doesn't stop you PM'ing anyone, like me, who would really appreciate being forewarned.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
Me too - forewarned if forearmed and I am intersted to know if its a place we had our doubts about a couple of times in the past, I thought this was meant to be an open forum   ::)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »
I think if you've got proof of their dishonesty the perpetrators should be named and shamed, whether or not their friends and relations get annoyed.   :o >:(

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »
I would have thought the right way to go would be go get the credit card company involved.  Wouldn't they see two exactly the same transactions on the same day at the same establishment as a probable mistake/fraud.  They could take it up with the establishment and would put them also on alert should similar mistakes happen to others.  And, I would have thought they refund the transaction and get the funds back from the restaurant.
Tripoli - Rome - London - Kalkan

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
Hi,
Well, this is spooky, because 2 weeks ago we visited a restaurant in Kalkan and my wife and her friend,kindly,decided to settle the bill. Neither cards went through the 1st time and the 2nd time my wife's was declined! As she is the one with all the money in our house, we thought this was very strange! We ended up paying cash. Next day she checked her balance and it was ok. Then she tried to use the card at an ATM and couldn't. When we got home, the next day, the bank had left a message from their fraud department. She contacted them to be told that the initial transaction had been for such a large amount, that it had triggered their security system. It blocked the transaction and locked the card! We had asked for the cancellation slips, but they weren't able to come up with them at the restaurant. We just let it go!
So be careful out there and check your receipts!   
Rx

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
I still think the restaurant involved should be named - if they was a genuine mistake and they have done no wrong they have nothing to worry about but us as customers should be made aware.

Offline Kajfish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
It would be very interesting to know whether the restaurants involved in Bee's and Roxie's incidents are one and the same.   

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
We always pay cash...you know where you are. I appreicate given the recent spate of robberies people may not be inclined to have cash around their villas but you can split it up and put it in the most unlikely of places for safety. Also, what a fantastic bank your wife has Roxie..you should name them so we can all see which bank is actually taking care of their customers money and not playing bingo with it :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 09:03:50 PM »
You'll not believe this but we use that great alliance RBS, Nat West and Ulster Bank. Must be trying that little bit harder!  3 Weeks to sort out the last debacle!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »
We had a similar experience last year with a well-known hotel near the centre of town that runs weekly "Turkish nights"... six of us went and, as usual, we enjoyed the evening very much. I paid by mastercard... but the initial transaction appeared not to go through.. the payment was not confirmed back to the chip and pin machine so we assumed the connection had been lost. Anyway, we tried again and the second time it went through fine.

When we got home and got the credit card statement, the transaction had actually gone through twice. So I challenged the payment with the card issuer... they sent me a disputed payment form, I filled it in and about six weeks later I got one of the charges refunded. It happens quite a lot, apparently, and it really can be a genuine error. (Of course, it COULD be intentional fraud.. but I really don't think it was on this occasion).

But the point is, as Bee said - you really should check your statements!

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »
The other thing to look out for is an extra 0 on the end of the amount you are paying for. I have heard of this happening on a couple of occassions and now always check the amount before entering my pin code.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Check it out..........

Started by pw on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 08:42:14 AM
by pw
thumbup
Check out the Noticeboard!!

Started by Chucky on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 12:30:23 PM
by Chucky
xx
Military check

Started by pattaya on Buying A Property & Real Estate

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 04:40:38 PM
by Enişte
exclamation
Please check your bookings

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 08:27:27 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Cute!

Views: 4392
By: alisonh
Kalkan dog