Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Rescue Me Early September?  (Read 5457 times)

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Rescue Me Early September?
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I've booked to come to Kalkan from 5 September on my own. It seemed like a good idea at the time  ;D  I have 10 days of luxurious self indulgence to look forward to but there is only so much reading by the pool I can do and I have a terror of being stuck on my ownsome afraid to go out at night lest people stare and point at the strange single lady. Will anyone else be in Kalkan and up for a glass or two of an evening? And as a supplementary question will the locals think it odd if I turn up at restaurants asking for a table for one?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9924.0
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Re: Rescue Me Early September?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
Hi Firecat
I saw lots of ladies on their own last year and the waiters etc. were respectful, polite, friendly without being OTT and I thought I would be reasonably happy to go on my own.  I suggest you book a few trips such as a boat trip, Saklikent or Kekova trip so that you have a chance to talk to other people.  Everyone is so friendly there I am sure you will be fine. Unfortunately I'll be back by then otherwise I would have invited you over.  Have fun. I am sure you will be safe.  :) :) :)

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »
I've done the Saklikent and Kekova trips in the past Skunk so I don't think I'll be repeating them but I cannot get enough of days out at sea so I shall certainly be booking two or three gulet trips. I went on the Sunset 2 with Captain Mehmet last time and would like to do that again because it was a great day out and would also like to try one of the Yildiz boats too.  I am less concerned about being on my own in the daytime than at night. I want to feel that I can walk into town and have a drink and a meal without feeling self conscious. I have been hassled a lot in the past even when I had my little old grey haired mother with me and I really don't want to lay myself open to any problems when going out alone which is why it would be nice to hook up with a crowd - safety in numbers and all that  :laugh: 

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
Firecat have a look at this holiday review which was by a lady on her own. It might give you some ideas.http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9843.0

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
Hi Firecat,

As my report shows ( What I did on my hols) I ate in the small restaurants and it was fine more families less couples. I went down to Indigo beach club and think It helped me feel less lonely than if I had sat around a pool. I suppose it also depends where you are staying. I deliberately went for a larger hotel so had a couple of people I chatted to when I had my pre going out drink  ;D. The boat trips with Yildiz were great and the evening one was well worth doing. I didn't get hassled (I'm 66 so might be my age) but I always smiled and said good evening to the greeters who always smiled back. I guess i also like to walk with a purpose, easier downhill than up lol. I Like to be up early in the morning so going to bed about 10.30 was fine. The Cafe del Mar is an easy place to be as is Merkez. I also met a couple of women so spent some time with them. I hope it goes well for you. Toni  :)

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:27:05 PM »
Hi Firecat.  There was a lady on her own when we were in Kalkan in May.  She ate on her own a few times and at others was invited to join in with groups of four.  We suggested she come with us on a day trip (to Saklikent but you have already been there, but I a sure there are others) and she then booked on a boat trip with the same company.  I am sure someone will rescue you once you get there.
Enjoy, Jo

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »
We're thinking of booking for the first two weeks in Sept, if we do we would be only too pleased to share a wine or three with you, it'll just be me and my OH, young at heart fifty something's.

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
You will find a number of single women expats/residents frequently pop into Parc Kalkan. You will be welcomed there by Cenk and Entiste.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »
We're thinking of booking for the first two weeks in Sept, if we do we would be only too pleased to share a wine or three with you, it'll just be me and my OH, young at heart fifty something's.

That would be lovely :)  PM me if you do decide to pitch up early September.

Denners I will look on EK in the run up to my trip to see if there are any meets planned for while I'm there. My trusty iPad will be by my side (as long as those pesky burglars don't nick it :D) and I will be keeping myself up to date with all the forum news. I'm not looking to surround myself with other solo females, just to have a sense of joining in and not being isolated.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »
You will be fine.  I have always said that I'd be really happy to go to Kalkan on my own (I am a slightly older woman than you :D ) .  If you are at all worried wear a wedding ring!!

Offline deepasforever1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
This is all nice and reassuring!  I too find myself going to Kalkan alone over the last week of August as I'm 'en route' to a course in Istanbul.  It seemed like a brilliant idea at the time, but I can understand your worries Firecat.  It's a shame our dates don't overlap.  I've always found everyone very friendly in Kalkan, but then it was my two daughters who were the centre of attention...
All the best Firecat.  Have a super time!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »
Hi Firecat

Fiona and I will be there almost exactly the same time as you - arriving 5th September for 10 days or so. You'd be welcome to join us for a drink any time... well, not ANY time, but you get what I mean :) We're pretty harmless.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 10:38:15 PM »
Yes, you'll be there at exactly the same time! You're not on my flight out from Stansted are you? ;D  I'll message you once I'm in Kalkan and hopefully I can join you for a drink one evening. Thank you for the offer :) I'm sure I'll be fine once I've got over my nervousness, it's just that I haven't been away on my own for a number of years and it's going to feel a little strange for me.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 01:12:55 AM »
If you are on a late Monarch flight then yes, we are on the same flight from Stansted   :)

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »
Aw, no - I'm on the early easyJet flight so I will be in Kalkan enjoying my first glass of rosé on the patio by late afternoon!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Holiday in late September/early October

Started by elise on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 11:04:36 AM
by Chris18648
xx
22 September - 29 September - Looking for accommodation sleeps 4

Started by sausagedog on Accommodation and Hotels

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 08:44:59 PM
by sausagedog
xx
I don't think it's too early. . . .

Started by Baggy on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 12:09:01 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
early Oct?

Started by hobbo on When Are You In Kalkan / Arrange a meet up

16 Replies
Last post October 04, 2013, 08:39:51 AM
by Wendy

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal