Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Must eat more carrotts before next visit.  (Read 2318 times)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Must eat more carrotts before next visit.
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
A night on the town, great! Dress ironed, hair straightened [well some shape, it takes on a life of it's own the minute we get off the plane] Half way through applying the all important makeup, well one eye actually, sipping away at my OH's experimental Bacardi fruit cocktail when pop in true Kalkan tradition off go the lights  :o. Pretty dusky outside by then and even darker in the villa. Could hear my OH downstairs bustling about looking for some candles or a torch but only managed to find a couple of tiny tea-lights and a lighter. Managed to descend the marble staircase armed with said tea-light, like Wee Willy Winkey in drag. Poor neighbours opposite must have been caught out in the shower as we could just make them out as they sat on the balcony draped in glowing white towels and turbans probably willing the leccy to come back on. As we could see lights in the village we decided to brave it and go out ASAP before it got pitch outside so managed to finish doing my other eye and a bit of lippy by the light of trusty tea-light Old Faithful on the balcony. If I ended up looking like Alice Cooper it was too dark for anyone else to see and when we eventually got to the lights, head down, mad dash to the nearest loo for repairs. Almost ready when, flicker, flicker the lights came on  hurray  ;D could see relief on our neighbours faces as they made a mad retreat into their apartment. Should have know, a minute or so later in the loo and flicker, flicker, off they go again  >:(  Decided to make a hasty dash towards the village lights armed with Old Faithful and lighter in bag just in case it was out when we got back and at least we'd find the door-lock and be able to clamber up the stairs to bed. Mind you a few more cocktails and we'd probably have just thought it was a good giggle, those stairs are hard enough to negotiate after a few bevvies at the best of times in full light LOL!! Made it down to the Kalamar road buoyed on by the image of a scrumptious steak and a cold Efes just a few hundred yards down the road we weren't going to be bested now. Managed to judge our way down to The Corner by the light from passing headlights, the lights, the lights, we'd made it. Went on to enjoy a lovely meal and a few drinks people watching at the Moonlight, at least we could see them there!!  To our relief didn't need "Old Faithful" when we got back although after a rather Efes evening still had trouble with the dodgy lock anyhow.  Finished off our eventful evening with a nightcap on the balcony, feeding the mossies, BLISS!

Had a few more brief leccy blips during our stay, always seemed the same time in the late evening and in our particular small area. Must have been all of us vain Brits armed with our many various hair gadgets, getting ready to hit the village. Quite enjoyed it when it happened in Bread & More as they rushed out with candles a plenty and we ate our meal in a  lovely romantic setting. Ashamed to say this was our eight visit to Kalkan and should have known better, should have listened to advice previously on here to pack these items but didn't, too concerned on which flip-flops to take  ::) Definitely be taking industrial strength candles, matches and a torch with WORKING batteries, which is practically unheard of in our house. Despite the slight inconvenience had a great giggle over our little escapade, especially the memory of my OH running around like a headless chicken on the great candle hunt and me feeling my way down the slippy stairs, thank goodness for "Old Faithful", did us proud, just goes to show size isn't everything  ;D Thanks for listening guys.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9936.0

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Re: Must eat more carrotts before next visit.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
LOL!! I have put torch in big letters on the list!!! Luckily at the villa we stay in there is a lantern at the bottom of the stairs! S ;D ;D ;D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
I think the maglite torches you can stand upright on a surface are particularly good for this kind of situation.   Must have been the first time we came to Kalkan and lights went out just as we were getting ready to shower and go out.   We managed showers and dressing with no problems with the torches in prominent position and sallied forth whilst others in apartments were waiting hopefully for lights to return.   No problem walking down to the village with the torch as the light had quite a wide beam.  Must confess to feeling a bit smug (wrong of me I know).  Quite a lot of restaurants had some kind of emergency lights or romantic candles.   Then electricity came back on.

We never leave the house now in the evening without a torch and leave one in each bedroom for our guests to use .

So a torch is a necessary thing Skunk to have on your list but try to make it of the maglite variety which you can stand upright.   There may be other makes of torches which do the same thing.

I enjoyed your story clara 50 about the power cut moment.  Made me laugh.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
Great post clara50. I know what you mean about the hair. I have naturally very curly hair so don't even bother to straighten it, which is a good job as all the fans in town these days seem to squirt a mist of water out which is lovely but by the end of the night, I end up looking like a mass of frizz. Our eldest is forever straightening hers and immediately it starts curling. I don't know why she bothers. It's also really humid at the moment, condensation on the outside of the windows, rather the inside as we are more used to.   O0

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:35:49 PM »
Great idea tortoise lady must have a look on ebay before our next visit but hopefully we'll have to get a wriggle on as we'd like to be back out there over the bank holiday into early sept but are having no luck finding reasonably priced central accomodation  that fit in with the cheap flights we've found. Won't give up just yet, fingers and toes crossed!

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
Agree about maglite torches - always have one when I travel.

The other piece of advice I was given, when in San Francisco but pertinent to Kalkan as it is also an earthquake zone is to always sleep with a pair of shoes next to your bed.  Apparently in earthquakes one of the commonest injuries is cut feet if a quake takes place at night& glass is broken.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
Hi Clara were you out the first 2 weeks in July? We were and for a good few evenings in a row had intermittent power cuts ::) Always seemed to happen while I was in the shower and lost count of the number of times I had to get ready for a night on the town by candlelight :o
Reminded me of the many times over 15 years ago when power cuts were absolutely normal and expected. At least this time it always came back on in time for coming back home at night when an air conditioned bedroom is a must. All those years ago I remember when the power was off all night having to stand under a cold shower to cool down in an attempt to get a few hours sleep ???

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
May visit

Started by popps on Accommodation and Hotels

12 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 08:23:20 PM
by Reygirl
xx
first visit

Started by westie1952 on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 12:58:29 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
first visit - but not the last

Started by Baggy on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 11:05:59 AM
by bowbad
xx
Second visit - even better than the first

Started by admgriffin on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 01:39:15 PM
by Ryss

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

New Logo

Views: 3684
By: Pete
Kalkan dog