Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: first visit - but not the last  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
first visit - but not the last
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »
Hi everyone - we have just got back from our first trip to Kalkan and are smitten. It cast its spell and we will definitely be back. Some of the information we got from you guys was invaluable . . . left the high heels at home, smothered myself in Avon Skin So Soft. . .
Not one mosquito bite . . . and they usually treat me like an open buffet.
And, shod in flatties, I strode past three girls try to negotiate the corner in towering stilletoes leaning on each other for support!
It''s everything you said and more - and as we didn''t do half the things we wanted to, we will just have to force ourselves to go back. Might make it later in the year though cos it was hellishly hot!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3728.0

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: first visit - but not the last
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:54:40 AM »
Glad you enjoyed yourselves, try September next time, it''s not quite so bad heatwise. :)
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:22:29 PM »
glad you liked it....personally i can''t think of a nicer place to do nothing!! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline MarkBDixon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
Probably not the right place for this but I''m afraid I can''t say the same about returning.

We had a good time in Kalkan in May, and really enjoyed the day trips to Xanthos, Saklikent and canoeing down the Xanthos? River, also the Korsan was superb accommodation, probably the best self catering we''ve stayed in.

However, there was just something lacking in Kalkan itself. We have maybe been spoilt in some of the places we have visited in the past but we felt Kalkan just didn''t have the sort of atmosphere we prefer. It was much bigger in size than we thought from reviews and the brochure, probably similar to Parga in Greece when we visited there. However, Parga still seemed to retain a much more traditional charm to it that was lacking in Kalkan, and since then we have visited small traditional fishing villages which we preferred to Parga.
The food was great in all the restaurants we visited and the service good, but I didn''t appreciate the greeters and got a bit fed up of having to politely refuse them all whilst going between restaurant and bars even though it was probably obvious we had already eaten. I know they were only trying to encourage trade and didn''t take offence at refusal but I still found it a pain. The bars were OK but again were nothing special.

Like I said we had a good time and don’t regret visiting Kalkan, but I just don’t think we’ll be returning.

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 02:02:20 PM »
Hi Mark

I totally respect your opinion, not everyone has to love Kalkan. Out of interest, have you ever felt compelled to return to the same holiday destination, if so where was it and why?

Jayne

Offline Bobbie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 03:10:26 PM »
Hi Baggy
Glad you liked Kalkan, we got back on Saturday from our 4th visit - have never been to the same place twice before.
Like you, we giggled at some of the footwear - do these girls not realise how steep the streets are? Did you see the Mutton  in the red dress with the six inch black heels? How she kept upright I do not know.(Oh God, hope she doesn''t read this!)
We thought it was a lot hotter than normal for June, we usually stroll into town most mornings but this time only did it twice, also unfortunately didn''t eat as much as usual, I think the heat suppressed my appetite.
As for Avon skin so soft - I got only ONE bite, on the last day, but hubby got loads using his Boots Tropical lotion. On the outward journey I had decanted it into a small bottle for the airport, and they had to test it as it was unlabelled, but fortunately let me keep it!

Offline MarkBDixon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »
Hi Mark

I totally respect your opinion, not everyone has to love Kalkan. Out of interest, have you ever felt compelled to return to the same holiday destination, if so where was it and why?

Jayne

I was discussing this with Our Peg last night, its probably what made me reply to the original post. So far we have never returned to any beach/coast/sun type resorts - so far. If we were to return anywhere it would be Agios Nikolaos in the Peloponnese, Greece. Its a small working fishing harbour with just enough bars and restaurants to keep us interested for two weeks. Its got a very laid back charm to the place and there are as many Greeks there as tourists. It has some excellent day trips on offer and the locals are friendly but not so much in your face as perhaps the Turks are. For a wider selection of bars and restaurants Stoupa, a more touristy seaside place, was about a half hour walk away but we never felt the need to leave AG Nik.
The main downside to the place is that the beach wasn''t the greatest but to compensate we found a fantastic little swimming cove where we could swim and lounge around on rocks. Also if we wanted a great beach we could always walk to Stoupa. For some pictures ..  http://www.flickr.com/photos/markbdixon/collections/72157607907379995/
Other places we would return to before Kalkan would be Paxos, Parga, Polichrono (Halkadiki) and Dalyan and if money wasn''t a consideration Cuba. We will probably check out places like Croatia and Bulgaria before starting to return to places we have already been.

We are actually returning to Brittany to go camping for a week and half in September, which is something we have done before, but is a totally different type of holiday so not really comparable, like city breaks or just nipping down to Devon for the weekend.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 06:10:22 PM »
Thanks for your honest assesment, Mark. There''s no law that says you have to fall in love with Kalkan and go back every year...but a lot of people do. We''ve been to Parga and loved it - that''s what attracted me to Kalkan in the first place - like Parga but in Turkey  ;D We''ve also been to the Pelponnese - loved that too, but there wasn''t enough to keep me entertained for two weeks. Travelling to both places, was arduous - not sure if it''s changed recently and as much as I loved them, I''ve never wanted to go back there. Kalkan is different to me....but it wouldn''t do if we were all the same and I totally respect your views.
Good luck wherever you go next  8)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »
Bobbie - we DID see that particular ensemble - I think it was in Trio . . . Looked very hot and bothered!

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:24:36 PM »
Hi Mark, we have been to Stoupa and Ag Nik, would definitely go back, the walk between them is delightful.
Remember the ducks swimming in the little harbour at Stoupa? As you say, a lovely beach.    Just been looking at your photos, we had the best fresh grilled sardines in the restaurant shown on your   ''Harbour 1'' pic!
                                                        Cheers, Allan.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:32:12 PM by AllanChris »
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline MarkBDixon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
Cheers Allan,

I think maybe we judged Kalkan a little harshly as it was the 1st place we have been after Ag.Nikolaos which we thought was virtually perfect for us. Perhaps if we had come here after say Parga or Dalyan we would have rated the place higher. As I said though we did like Kalkan.

The restaurant we preferred was the Arches Taverna with the Albanian chef - fantastic fish and meat dishes.

The beach bar just in front of the restaurant you had your sardines was a fantastic place to observe a heavy electrial storm one night. The views of the lightening were very dramatic.

We hired bicycles a couple of times to cycle to Stoupa and also further south along from Ag Nik which ended up in a very small old fishing harbour I can''t even remember the name of, but it was just like stepping back in time 50 years which was great.

As for the ducks - I think they must have been avoiding us when we went into Stoupa!!

Offline woody

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »
i Like honest people, but oh dear we are going on Monday and my bubble has burst.

Tracy X

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »
Dont burst your bubble, have a wonderful time and make your own judgement,
cant wait to read a review when you return  :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:31:34 AM »
for every 1 that dislikes Kalkan you will find 10 that love it...blow some more bubbles!! ;D ;D

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:28:40 AM »
I have never spoken to anyone who has been to Kalkan and said after that they disliked it........Honest !   OK, so one hat does not fit all, but the Kalkan hat seems to fit most by far, go and judge for yourself ? ...LoveKalkan.  >:D ;D >:D ;D

Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »
Dear Baggy - Really liked your comments re first visit to Kalkan.  
To do or not to do - that is the question?
My first visit last year (back in Sept this year) I have been coming to Turkey for years, but have fallen in love with the place.
Rent a villa - not expensive overall, but the best bit is that you can do your own thing, support the local shops for food etc.
Weather - it is Turkey - not the Arctic - people seem surprised that it gets hot!
High heels - try doing some research on the area - witnessed a nasty tumble in Aubergine last year!
But above all - lets try to preserve what we are lucky to have, and to visit - we do not want Kalkan to go the way of the Costa''s.

Offline Pebble

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 09:45:25 AM »
i Like honest people, but oh dear we are going on Monday and my bubble has burst.

Tracy X

We are also going to Kalkan on Monday, it will be our 3rd visit this year  ;D ;D ;D I think that says it all.
           P

Offline DawnT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:25 AM »
I''ve just had my third visit this year!! Roll on August!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
Mrs and I moved to Kalkan for good last month and I''m not as daft as I look!  I love the place.  Enough to help reinflate that bubble?

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 12:30:47 PM »
My OH and I (and kids) only visited Kalkan for the first time 2 years ago and fell in love with it.  We bought an apartment on our first visit and have been about 7 or 8 times since and fall in love just a little bit more each time.

3 weeks today we''re back again for 3 weeks and we''re counting the days!

You will love it - the same as the majority of us.  Don''t worry. ;D
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2nd visit

Started by susie126 on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 12:49:45 PM
by onelove
xx
first visit

Started by westie1952 on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 12:58:29 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
May visit

Started by popps on Accommodation and Hotels

12 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 08:23:20 PM
by Reygirl
xx
Second visit - even better than the first

Started by admgriffin on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 01:39:15 PM
by Ryss

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Lizo Hotel

Views: 4681
By: Eljhem

Views: 3801