Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's Day Three: Hungover and Happy  (Read 2324 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Day Three: Hungover and Happy
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »

We shouldn't have stopped off at Cafe Ev. We should have come straight home, after Adam's, and gone to bed. But no, we had to call in and have another drink......
Where did that bag of sweet smelling beef tomatoes, peppers and chillies come from - and why?
Oh well, time will tell.....
Adam picked us up soon after 7pm and within a few minutes we enoyed the sunset at his restaurant before my favourite, fried liver with a hint of chilli, followed by lamb shank. Mrs A had the same and Ollie had a Mushroom Saute, then a Beef Casserole on its own stove.
It was nice to see Adam and his family again and we enjoyed the delight on his youngest daughter's face as we handed out some small presents.
I think it was actually my idea to call into Cafe Ev, on the way home, just to say "hello!"
Yeah, right.
Earlier in the day, we called in to "Ev" as Ollie fancied some Kofte for lunch, and they put him up a takeaway to have with us at the villa, whilst we ate a tuna salad.
On Day One we called into the Greengrocers, down by the first roundabout and bought 3 enormous bags of fruit and vegetables, all fresh and healthy. It cost around ten pounds and stocked the fridge for a few days.
So, with one of those enormous tins of tuna, we made a salad, full of the sweetest, ripe, vine tomatoes that you could smell a metre away, thinly sliced onion and it had to have a Thai Lime & Chilli dressing. But no chillies in the supermarket. So Ollie and I stopped off at Ev (really for a beer) and begged a chilli. Of course, it was "no problem" but came with a hand full of tomatoes and peppers as well.
And then last night, with a round of drinks, we got the same vegetables again. And another chilli! What lovely people.

Now, Day Three and I am in recovery mode. It is 29C on the patio and 9am. We haven't seen a cloud since Wetherby. I'm probably too unstable to tackle the Water Hammock, but another Alka Seltzer should do the trick.

Poppy, our adopted kitten is asleep by the pool in the shade of a sun umbrella, having given up waiting for another dish of tuna.
Mehmet is coming here at 1pm to sort my back out. He didn't like the feel of the knots when he gave me a neck massage after my shave (neither did I) and so he agreed to sort it, poolside, at 1 today.
Some fresh Sea Bream for lunch, which I might cook in foil with a little butter and lemon.
And Poppy is not allowed the bones. Honest.
Steve

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9584.0

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Antler's Day Three: Hungover and Happy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »
All sounds fab Antler, will be heading for Kalkan next Monday so please keep the reports coming (if you can fit them in between cooking all that tasty grub). My OH can just about put together a sandwich, cooking is a no no so I am feeling a little jealous of your wife - I'm sure she appreciates everything you do!  :angel:

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »
It was a busy morning. Too busy with a hangover, but maybe it was better that way.
Adam came at 10.30, took me and introduced me to his butcher (the one to the right of Hunkar Ocabasi). Yusuf understood what I needed. Cubes of tender lamb, for a lamb and apricot casserole - special guests tomorrow night. He weighed a leg, then set about cutting the pink flesh away from the bone. This was no old sheep.
I spied the chicken thigh fillets - TL12.50 a kilo. A couple of kilos of them would do nicely - so much softer than the dry breast meat, which is cheaper at TL9/kg. Oh, and a few bags of charcoal.
Yusuf shook my hand and I knew who would supply my fillet later in the week.
A quick stop in the greengrocers, opposite, for some fresh beans to go in tonights Thai Curry, followed by a dash into Yali for some coconut milk (thanks Kitty!) and we were done. Adam dropped me back to Villa Kirmizi Lale and I headed straight for the Water Hammock.
Mehmet arrived at 1.30, shortly before the gauge on the patio hit 35C. I dragged the sunbed into the shade of the villa and let him do his stuff. I was fine (no, it was fabulous) as he undid the knots in my neck and shoulders, almost winding me as he smoothed away the toxins in my spine. It was when he rubbed the oil into my calves that I nearly hit him in the face with my feet. No one touches my calves.

Relaxed and a bit gaga, I whacked the oven up high, threw some chopped butter and fresh, chopped garlic onto the Sea Bream, sealing them in a foil pillow, and put them on the top shelf of the oven. 2 large Sea Bream, TL6.5 each, with salad, for lunch.
And as the sunny patio turned into shade, so the fish were done. The freshest, moist fish on the planet, enjoyed looking out over Kalkan Bay on Day Three of 17, at That View.

Poppy appeared, nose in the air, wanting to join in on the lunch as last night's hangover became a thing of the past. It would be wrong not to take in this fabulous view, and feeling of complete contentment, without just a moderate glass of Lal.

Or two.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:15:18 AM by antler »

Offline Ryss

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 02:19:31 AM »
what a wonderful story teller you are!  almost fell off my chair laughing thinking of mehmet's 'almost' fate!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Happy

Started by popps on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 08:32:23 PM
by foreverkalkan
xx
Happy Hotel

Started by jer on Accommodation and Hotels

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 09:58:08 PM
by jer
xx
HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Started by sally on The Everything Else Area!

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 10:33:39 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Happy New Year's Eve

Started by lilly on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 07:48:41 PM
by Mayday1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal