Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sunglasses  (Read 2809 times)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Sunglasses
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:32:06 PM »
Hi, Just had an email from my niece and she has changed her mind on the Ray Bans, instead  of Wayfarers she now wants green tinted lenses wich are in gold coloured frames. Has nayone any idea if they are available in Kalkan and if so anyone found the lens to be good or bad?

Thanks Barb

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9493.0

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: Sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:38:17 PM »
This are called Aviators for which Ray Ban are well known for....the fakes will not have the proper optical filtration and stand a good chance of damaging the wearers eyes.....I have several pairs of vintage RB Aviators and they are fantastic glasses......be warned...

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:53:35 PM »
Thanks Misty I was worried about that. I would not even consider them for myself as I have an eye disease.. I know she buy cheap sunglasses in the UK.

Barb

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:52:02 AM »
TK Maxx in England sell sunglasses at discount prices, I'm sure I saw Ray Bans about a month ago, you have to look for the good ones amongst some cheaper rubbish!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 06:53:04 AM »
All banter aside ref fakes....things like watches and sun glasses are all made in China and are with out doubt rubbish....the price of the watches in the market is unbelievable.......why anyone would pay that is beyond me..... :)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:33:10 AM »
Yikes I'm agreeing with Misty  :o :o :o

Be careful about sunglasses. If your niece is only using them as a fashion accessory like the "celebs" do for example indoors or when they're not needed for sun protection (never understood that  ??? ) then a pair the "fakes" should be fine, however a decent pair for wearing in the sunlight is a must. You can pick up some fairly cheap but effective ones in the UK department stores, wear them in the sun then whip out the "designer" ones when the sun goes down. Might be a compromise for her?

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »
Thanks everyone, I have emailed her and explained what you have all said. As she lives by the sea then she definitely needs good ones as she spends a lot of time in the summer on the beach.(weather permitting of course)

Barb

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
Have a look on the Outnet (Net a Porter's outlet site) I've picked up some amazing bargains on there. Better for her to catch someone who is going to the US - Century 21 were selling aviators for £40 in March :)
The little sunglasses/bag shop near to Cafe Leon sells some lovely ones and the owner tells you which ones have the correct filters and which don't - those with are more expensive, naturally. I may be gullible, but I do believe him
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »
See I was right all along...now take that -1 thank you back  ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:23:15 PM by misty »

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »
Thanks K4E, sadly no one I know is going this year, I went to Bluewater yesterday (shopping mall in Kent)there are some Aviators in other brands around £50 which is about what I want to pay...she will probably lose them in no time when she  goes to uni. this september.

Thanks also Misty foryour advice.

Barb

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »
have you tried Amazon? ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
It's not just the filters on the lenses you have to be careful of.

Cheap sunglasses often have optical defects which cause distortions.  Think of the ripples in old, pre-float glass windows, and, although they may look good, style wise, the distortions caused when you use them for seeing through, can cause eye strain, headaches and even migraines.

A lot of 'designer' brand sunglasses have these defects - I mean what do fashion designers know about optics and eye health?

Stick to well-known optical brands from reputable sources, or go to an optician.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal