Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Duty free allowance at Dalaman arrivals?  (Read 17435 times)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Duty free allowance at Dalaman arrivals?
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
Ok, so this is going to make me sound like a total lush - which I'm not - honest  :angel:  How many bottles of booze can you get at Duty Free at Arrivals at Dalaman - do they restrict you to one litre per person?  And would they have absolut citron, drambuie, bacardi and bombay sapphire?  And (last question) any clue how much they'd cost?  Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9384.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Duty free allowance at Dalaman arrivals?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »
We've not been restricted before but then we've only bought two bottles. Last year they definitely had Bombay and Bacardi - not sure about Absolute or Drambuie. I remember Duty Free in Manchester was much cheaper but they are definitely a saving on what you'd pay in the supermarkets in Kalkan ;D
They're some cocktails you're planning... ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
If only...they're for a friend...honest  ;D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 02:44:57 PM »
My understanding is that you are only allowed to take into Turkey one litre of spirits per person.   Also that this applies whether you buy it in the airport in UK, on the plane (which we sometimes do) or in duty free in Dalaman (or any other Turkish airport). 

Now I suspect that some people merrily buy in each place and just sail past customs without declaring it.   I haven't got the nerve for that so we always keep to the one litre per person rule.   Naturally once you are in cocktail territory you want to have rather more so we buy things locally - for example I always encourage people to try the Turkish gin.

Now if someone can tell me I have had this wrong all these years and can take all the spirits I want, duty free, into Turkey I will be delighted.   But I am not holding my breath.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
The thing with the Duty Free when you arrive at Dalaman is you've already cleared passport control and there's no further customs checks as you're waiting for your baggage ??? I have been prevented from buying more than two litres on departure at the tills but from what I can recall, I don't even remember showing my passport in the arrivals Duty Free shop and have long suspected its not actually a Duty Free shop at all. We've usually had a couple of bottles of Bombay in a Manchester Airport duty free bag when we've shopped there - bit of a giveaway ::) I think you would be stopped at your departure airport from purchasing over the limit, but where are the checks after that  >:D?

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 05:59:32 PM »
In April we were only allowed to buy 1litre of spirits with each passport at Dalaman airport upon arrival.  however we were able to buy plenty more in UK duty free, no limit at all although it is a risk you take as you can be stopped by customs on your way out the door at Dalaman.  We have been stopped here by customs not for too much drink, they were just suspicious of a large package we were bringing out to our place!  I suppose it's a gamble, thankfully one we've got away with for many years.  ;)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
Crikey, in all the years we've been coming to Dalaman - new terminal and old - I've never noticed Customs after collecting our bags..... :o You watch me get stopped next month ::)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
The other option is to buy spirit in the UK (duty paid) when on offer at the supermarkets and pack in your luggage, then surely you can still purchase your duty free allowance.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 07:39:37 PM »
You are right Kalkan4eva.   I have never seen a notice saying "Anything to declare" when you have collected your luggage.   I have just taken it for granted that it was a kind of honesty system at Dalaman -  by leaving the airport with our luggage we are basically saying we are abiding by the laws and not taking in anything we shouldn't.   Has anyone been stopped and been fined for too much alcohol?   Charlie obviously has proved that they do look out for anything suspicious.   Don't think I will start risking it now but it is a big temptation.    A family member is an enthusiastic cocktail  maker and one can never have a big enough supply of ingredients.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »
There isn't a customs check as such but there are officers who sit at a table with a scanning machine just as you approach the exit door of the airport.  We have been asked several times by them what we have in certain packages and each time have been waived on when we tell them it is for personal use or for use in our home in Kalkan.  I don't know of anyone who has been 'done' for too much alcohol but do have recollections of someone on this site (I think), a long time ago, saying something about having pork products confiscated upon their arrival at Dalaman. :( we're also guilty of bringing a few packets of bacon and sausages with us each time we visit!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:42:15 PM by Charlie »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 03:37:03 PM »
Us too Charlie :o :o
The thing is I've been nonchalant for years because I didn't know they were there now I'll be walking through actually looking for them...may as well have a big sponge finger over my head "stop her". Sausages, bacon, too much alcohol, limes AND dark chocolate...a walking illegal importer if ever there was one :-[

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 06:57:57 PM »
B&J - thanks for the idea of just buying some gin and putting it in my case, duty paid.  I can't believe I didn't think of that myself!  It's the thought of the warm sun, fabulous food and seeing good friends and enjoying the odd libation that must have turned my brain off  ;D

Offline chillout

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:01:12 PM »
Hi Rachey,

I wouldn't bother with UK supermarkets. When we fly out to Dalaman from Stansted (should be about the same wherever you fly from) we tend to take advantage of the duty free offer of  2 x litres of spirits for £18. Never had any problems - famous last words!

Chillout

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »
you can purchase up to 6 litres each in uk duty free to bring into Turkey, not sure how many bottles in dalaman duty free, I've brought in 6 litres and brought another 2 in Dalaman before, the only problem I have is managing to carry it all......

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »
See link below for duty free allowances into Turkey.  Seems you can legally bring 5 litre bottles of wines or spirits or 7 x 70 mls bottles.

http://novotourism.com/ShowItem.aspx?CatID=22&ItemID=99&ItemName=Turkey%20Duty%20Free%20Allowances%20into%20Turkey

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
Regarding the availability of the spirits you asked about - you should be able to buy them all in Dalaman.  They generally have all the Absolut flavours available :)  We usually buy 2 1 litre bottles of spirits (not for us) and a couple of bottles of champagne or wine (for us!) when we arrive. 

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 10:42:41 PM »
Charlie, JenJen - many thanks for great info  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Duty Free at Dalaman

Started by santah on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 12:36:52 PM
by lorilou
recycled
Manchester Duty Free or Dalaman

Started by blee on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 06:38:59 PM
by kalkanfan
xx
duty free m/chester or dalaman ?

Started by fidimax on The Everything Else Area!

16 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 06:19:40 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Dalaman Duty Free prices ?

Started by Lucy Lou on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 11:02:25 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mountain stream

Views: 3490
By: Babadag
June 2011 Holiday