Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Where to eat?  (Read 9107 times)

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Where to eat?
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
Hi all,

I have been reading this forum for quite a while without posting so I thought to end the lurking and jump in!

My OH went to Kalkan aged 8 and took me there in 2010, now aged 23!  We loved it and are going for our honeymoon in June this year.

Just wondering where would be good to eat for breakfast?

Also, what restaurants are the best and which should we avoid?

Last time we went, we loved: Musakka, The Rendezvous, Merkez Cafe and Cafe Vita.  Are any of these still any good?

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Bez

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9207.0

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Re: Where to eat?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »
Musakka and Kosk are our favourites. Fener Cafe for lunch ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
Our absolute favourite is Gourmet Terrace - next to Gironda.  Fab food, fab service, fab views!  We also love Fez and Belgin's Kitchen too.  Had a fab meal at Baharat last time, so that's another we'll be going back to...so many wonderful choices.  This year we're looking forward to trying Otantik (Authentic) where the Old Ottoman House was, as Mehmet the (literally) magical waiter at Fez will be there this year.  Can't wait...8 weeks and counting  :laugh:

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »
You can't beat Fener Cafe for breakfast, it's cheap, has a huge menu and is in a brilliant location on the seafront.  Rendezvous had shut down when we went last year but the others you mention are all still there.

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:30:31 AM »
Cafe Ev getting rave reviews. Mussakka my favourite.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 06:29:55 AM »
Fener for breakfast is always a good bet.  Wonderful location, very good choice of food for all times of day and inexpensive  -   Suleyman, the manager  and his team are always attentive and helpful.  We have occasionally gone for a late breakfast around 11 a.m. and left at 4 p.m.  It's one of those places where you meet so many people, get into interesting conversations and are so captivated by the surroundings that time just flies by.

Another good breakfast and 'drop in any time' place is Cafe Leon .  Run by Jane and Levent, it is very relaxed, the welcome is always warm, Levent's Mum who is a great cook prepares fabulous Turkish food, the sort of dishes you would get in a Turkish home (try the menemen for breakfast) and Jane makes cakes and pastries that are too delicious to resist. Levent's non-alcoholic smoothies are also a treat. Here too we have been known to arrive at 11 a.m.and leave at 5 p.m.

If you are feeling adventurous, go up to Islamlar for breakfast at one of the trout restaurants.  You will get a real Turkish village breakfast.  Home made jams and preserves, village butter and bread, fresh eggs, village cheeses, tomatoes and cucumbers all served in delightful surroundings.

Lantana

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:30:26 AM »
Another vote for breakfast at Fener Cafe.....what a view! Palm Beach Club came a close second for us for breakfast last year.
As for the evening there are just too many too mention but as its your honeymoon then for something special try Musakka, Coast, The FishTerrace and the champange cocktails at Trio make a lovely after dinner drink........oh I can't wait till we are there in June  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, Bez - did you used to be in the Happy Mondays ;D ;D
Mussaka is now on the harbour but remains an excellent place to eat - we like Gourmet, like Rachey. It was new last year but the its chef from Coast@Gironda. We also like Coast - also on the harbour, Sofra and Olive Garden. So many really amazing places to eat.
We love Fenner - which also great for dinner and Cafe Leon is a favourite cake stop. Merkez make a good breakfast as does Cafe Del Mar. We often eat breakfast at Palm Beach Club, like Babs, which is always lovely or at Nur Patisserie. We mostly like breakfast chez nous to be honest... :) :)
If you're looking for a special romantic meal - you're on honeymoon after all  ::)) - I'd recommend Villa Mahal just as the sun is setting.
Have a wonderful time
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:36:59 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
Hi agree with all the recommendations for fener - greatfor breakfast and lunch, brilliant setting food service and great value for money. Still our faves for dinner are mussakka on the harbour which i understand has been extended this year (taken over bade beach) so should be even better also Gourmet and Coast, and we also tried kalamaki last year for the 1st time and were very impressed went 3 times. can't wait only 10 weeks to go seems like forever. Am sure you will have a great time bez wherever you decide to eat its still a magical romantic place no matter where you eat.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:39:37 PM »
Honeymoon, breakfast............?...?

I would probably ask Adam to pick us up and have a village breakfast sat at Table 1, looking out towards Meis.

In fact, I would probably do it not on my honeymoon as well!

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Worth a couple more wives Steve..?????

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »
really Ray...?
Could any of you blokes handle more than one wife..? really? :-*

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooo!!! :o :o :o :o :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 07:24:02 PM »
Hi Bez, glad you stopped lurking and jumped in!   I "lurked" for quite a long time before being bold enough to start posting.

You asked about good places for breakfast but didn't say where you will be staying.    I am assuming you are self-catering if you are planning to go out for breakfast.   If we knew which end of Kalkan you will be staying in it would help to make more suggestions of places within strolling distance.

A June honeymoon in Kalkan sounds wonderful.    When thinking of breakfast don't forget the joys of having it "at home".   Most places will have a balcony/terrace or roof terrace with a view.    On holiday I wouldn't dream of cooking at breakfast time but have had some lovely relaxed simple meals in Kalkan which were a joy.   Good fresh bread, great butter, some olives, cheese, melon, figs,  juice (try the sour cherry), perhaps a glass of Ayran and coffee or tea.   All eaten overlooking the bay or perhaps a garden.  You will be having so many great meals out in Kalkan that there is a big plus in starting the day with something fesh and simple.   Big advantage is you can have it still in your night attire if you wish or your swim suit if you have had an early dip.

Oh dear, I now have myself wishing I was there already.   Still, better I have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit more as I won't be going near the pool until until temperatures are higher.

Don't forget, Bez, to let us know which part of Kalkan you will be staying in so we can make some more local suggestions.

Offline lewwhittaker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
Hi Bez,

I wouldnt know about the best place for breakfast, but I proposed to my partner last May at Mussaka on the harbour. It was so romantic with them surprising us with a cake, but I also asked them to put on some fireworks which they happily did. Mehmet and the staff made the evening so memorable and the food was brill. We are getting married this year and going to Kalkan in September where we are having a meal to celebrate our wedding at - Mussaka!!! Wherever you choose I am sure you will have a special time in Kalkan.

Offline Bez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Hi all,

Many thanks for all the helpful replies!

We are staying at the Pasha Apart-Hotel on the Kalamar Road so will be strolling around from there.

Will try the places mentioned especially the Fener Cafe which is reviewed so well!

Anyone know which Ali Baba is the one people like?

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
I think I know roughly where the Pasha Apart-Hotel is on the Kalamar Road.   You should be in strolling distance of Bread and More (opened about two years ago).   It will be on your left hand side on the Kalamar Road as you walk along to the village.   I think it is open all day and could be a good spot to have some breakfast especially if you were planning to return to your pool for a relaxing day.   Not very far to walk to and from.

I understand there are now some apartments right beside Bread and More and their website suggests B and M for breakfast if people don't want to prepare their own so they are certainly geared up for morning meals.

There isn't a seaview at B and M but it seems very popular.   We noticed last year it seemed quite busy at lunch time and pretty full in the evenings.   

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »
Cafe Vita is quite near the Pasha if you turn left towards Kalamar Bay it's on the left hand side.  Also useful for lunch or an evening meal if you can't be bothered going into the village.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
and Aqua almost next door gets rave reviews!

Offline Leigh

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
Hi Bez, what date in June are you going?  We are flying out June 11th from Manchester and are staying at the Pasha Apartments - 4th time there - you will love it

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

IMG_0239_JPG.jpg

Views: 3322
By: PaulineBurns
Kalkan Food ''96