Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 5th visit.... things to do with a 2 year old - help please!  (Read 4109 times)

Offline LozJay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
Hi everyone,

We've just booked our 5th trip to Kalkan for May, can't wait, but a bit worried about keeping our little boy occupied.  He'll be very nearly 2 when we go.  Can anyone suggest things to do with him please?  We've been 4 times before but never really considered what we'd do to keep him occupied before.  Last time we went he was 5 months, so slept a lot!  Now, not so much!  I've already thought of Patara Beach, and maybe a boat trip if I hold on tightly to his reins  :)

Many thanks,
Lauren xx

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8976.0

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: 5th visit.... things to do with a 2 year old - help please!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:02:44 AM »
From memory, and it was 17 yrs ago... you take the 2 yr old to the bar/restaurant where the waiter entertains them whilst you sit relax and chat with the other half, if the waiter didn't entertain, or 2yr old didn't like waiter the 2yr old said 'hesap lütfen' (actually happened !!) ... Seriously as long as things are going on and there are locals around, a 2 yr old will have the time of their lives they will be the centre of attention and your passport to a stress free holiday. Again from memory we had a bit of a routine, up fairly early out and about whilst not too hot early lunch and back to base for a mid day nap (M&D relax time) mid afternoon pool time followed by a walk to a local play area or round the harbour etc. back to base, scrub up and out for the eve.  Key thing for ours (and us!) was the long nap mid day, probably more important 17yrs ago as there was no aircon!
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
Lozjay - What sort of things would you be considering to do with your son if you were to holiday in the UK ?  Not much different really except possibly the weather & you know Kalkan anyway.
Just remember roof top restuarants may be 'out' due to access & think a lot about shade for Patara beach
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline LozJay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »
Thank you - DRBD our last holiday was on Cornwall and he was entertained by the zoo, the dotto train, playparks, the pool etc.  Pool & beach are a given in Kalkan but I was wondering where the nearest kiddy attractions might be......  And thanks for the shade tip - I've got one of those pop up sun tent things :)

Hobbo - everyone loved him when he was 5 months, but he slept loads then :)  I'll have to teac him "hesap lutfen" before we go!!  He doesn't sleep much during the day any more, really really hoping he will on holiday so we can relax a bit xx

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
He might like the beach area on the right hand side before you get to Kas that has waterslides for children (probably too big for your son though). It has a cafe and chickens and a few other animals wandering round and has a playground as well as a reasonably shallow stoney beach. Don't forget the beach shoes for him.

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »
I remember it better now (having spoken to the boss)!! will he sleep during the day on holiday? Hence the policy of getting up and out fairly early to exhaust him, fresh air and exercise and the promise of staying up and out with M&D, he slept, we relaxed. Apparently it went on till they were 5&7 with varying degrees of success. 

Offline LozJay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »
I hope so Hobbo!  Thanks Kalkan Regular, that sounds good xx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »
You see a lot of toddlers on the town beach, particularly the end near to Kleo as there's virtually no slope into the water. Palm Beach has a nice area for families with young children where you can access the sea by walking in to it - Crocs are essential for both. There's a play area down by the town beach too if you're looking for that sort of thing.
A fishing net will keep him occupied for a while and feeding the fish in the Harbour (my particular favourite passtime in Kalkan ;D) Your two year old will probably just love playing in the pool - some inflatables and a couple of floating toys will probably keep him going for hours.
You need to return to the simple things to entertain children in Kalkan as there isn't that much specifically for toddlers - make sure you take a stroller ;)
I would hesitate taking such a young child on a boat trip though :-\
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline LozJay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »
Hehe yes I did think it would be very risky, but Jay suggested he'd be ok on his reins.  Hmmm might avoid it this year!

A fishing net is a fab idea though - thank you!  Whereabouts is Palm Beach?

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 07:43:07 AM »
If you buy in the UK, a lightweight life vest to fit your two year old, you will have no fears about taking him on a boat or anyone else where water is involved.  Friends of ours have taken their children on a boat here each summer since they were 18 months old (now 5 and 6) and the best trips they always have with the children are on a boat.

I can recommend Zeus as a boat to go on with young children as Ali the captain has been taking his young son on the boat since he could first walk and he is very aware of any potential risks and really great with children.  He takes the older ones snorkelling or sets up fishing lines for the younger ones and ensures everyone has a great day out.

Many of the boat captains have children and all are wonderful at understanding the needs of the children and just as important, their parents.

Have a great holiday

Lantana

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:33:03 AM »
+1 for Zeus and Ali. Plus we often took our toddlers on boat trips great day out for all.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
Zeus and Captain Ali for us too! First class day out.

Offline LozJay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
That's brilliant advice, thank you all!  I think the boat we went on a couple of years ago was Sunset??  I can't remember the captain's name, but OMG his son was gorgeous!   ::)

I'll definitely buy Alex a lifejacket before we go, and hopefully book a trip on Zeus  :laugh:

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
There are now three Sunset boats.  The father, who was probably captain on your boat is Mehmet and his two handsome sons are Ahmet and Yelcin.  Both boys captain the other 2 boats.  We've also had a fab day out on Sunset when part of a large party that was too big for the Zeus boat.  Capt Ali of Zeus recommended the Sunset boat to us. 

Offline LozJay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 12:15:19 PM »
Oooh yes, Yalcin!  He was the gorgeous one :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Two things.

Started by Wendy on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 08:45:13 PM
by Wendy
xx
getting about and things to do

Started by Roxie on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 11:59:23 PM
by Roxie
xx
These are a few of my favourite things......

Started by Babs on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post February 13, 2015, 02:46:50 PM
by clara 50
xx
New things to do in Kalkan?

Started by Enişte on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 05:46:25 AM
by amber

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal