Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Money transfer from US to UK  (Read 2659 times)

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
  • Owner: Yes
Money transfer from US to UK
« on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
Hi, I wonder if any of you could advise me. We have some potential guests from the US wishing to stay at our apartment in Kalkan next year. They are keen to pay the deposit but I'm not sure what is the easiest and least costly way to transfer cash into my UK account . An ideas?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8890.0

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
Re: Money transfer from US to UK
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »
Apart from gıving them your bank details, we've used Western Union and Moneygram safely before. But there is a cost- look them up online for details :-)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
We had guests from US stay last year. I paid bank charges of around £25 when their money was lodged to my account and they had to pay something similar to their bank to transfer it.  We've just had another request for this year from US guests and I'm not sure what would be best to save both parties money.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
We have the reverse problem.  No UK account so we have to pay a fortune when guests send money from the UK to our dollar or euro accounts.  We even had a Scottish bank charge us for both the sender/client fee and our bank charged us the receiving fee plus the intermediary bank fee plus the exchange rate percentage.  Total charges amounted to 82 GBP for that single transfer!  We haven't found any way to reduce these fees other than to open a pound (or dollar) account at our Turkish bank.  The Turkish wire fees are less than those of the banks in the UK and the US. 

You can also consider setting up a Paypal account and let them pay you by credit card.  That is about 3 - 3.25% plus the exchange rate loss.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
Hi, thanks for your replies. In the end our US guests paid via Paypal but as Cosetta says this does cost, in this case approx. £15 to transfer £200. We have agreed to share the charge when it comes to the balance being paid. It's annoying but there doesn't seem to be any way around it.

Offline Brandongirl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Holiday rentals and money transfers
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
Hi,

I need some advice. We are thinking of renting our apartment and advertising on one of the German lettings web sites. Has anyone had experience of these sites and if so how did they get the money transferred to the UK without incurring large fees? Likewise how were things like breakage deposits managed and refunded without incurring large fees?

Also, has anyone got any recommendations re managing lets? Some of the fees we have been quoted seem rather high and include services we do not require such as out of season months management. Again any advice as to what are reasonable charges and recommendations would be appreciated.

BG

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Transfer of money from uk bank (Halifax) to Deniz Bank

Started by tonik on Money & Finance

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 10:51:35 PM
by Possums
recycled
how much money should i take?

Started by BayBee on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 11:05:26 PM
by Kalkankiwi
question
Money

Started by harrisonp on Money & Finance

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 10:57:48 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Money

Started by popps on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 12:52:38 PM
by BevJam

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal