Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Please help with next year's holiday!  (Read 5295 times)

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Please help with next year's holiday!
« on: November 19, 2011, 02:50:50 PM »
I trust you all had a good summer.

I haven't been very active on this forum over the past year as we didn't get to visit Kalkan this year  :( 

We have been to Kalkan twice in 2009 and twice in 2010 but last Christmas after many years of trying we found out that my wife was expecting our first child so we both felt that the transfer and hills would be too much for her in the summer heat and because we had only ever been to Kalkan in Turkey we went to Dalyan instead.  We hadn't had as great as great a time as usual in our last visit to Kalkan in Aug 10, which also prompted us to try somewhere different when we were Dalyan (it is a lovely), we both agreed that it just wasn't Kalkan.  Kalkan is a very special place for us, as it is for many others on this forum and we had taken it for granted.

On the 9th September this year we were blessed with a beautiful baby daughter, Jocelyn Eve.
Apologies for the long introduction but I'm now trying to plan our first "family" holiday for 2012 and whilst Kalkan may not be as baby friendly as other destination, we really want to go back to our favourite place in the world and I have yet against been inspired by the many reviews and especially Antler's who captures Kalkan in way I never could!
I have read through as many threads as possible over the past few weeks as I hate asking questions that are covered in so many other threads so we are left with these main queries:

1.  Time of year
We are thinking of visiting at the end of May/very early June.  We have never been this early before as we are both sun/heat lovers (after the dreary Irish weather!) but we now have little Joss to think about as it won't be as hot so more comfortable for her.  She will also be 8 months old at that stage so will be crawling but not walking so will be easier to manage! 

No-one knows better than me that nobody can give any guarantees in regards to weather, but what can we expect in late May in terms of temperature, cloudy days/rain and evening temperature.

Also will mossies/olive flies be an issue at that time of year?

2.  Accommodation

In our previous visits we have staying in the Kelebek Hotel and Pasha Aparthotel but to give us the flexibility we need with Joss, especially in terms of making little dinners, sterilising bottles etc and generally having a bit more space/privacy we would like to book a villa or apartment. 

It doesn't have to have a private pool as we are happy to share with others in a complex/development as long as it isn't too busy. 

We would also like it to be as close to the town as possible (doesn't everyone!) to minimise the amount of hills with a buggy and we don't want to be dependent on taxi's.   We don't mind walking slightly out Kalamar Rd or up towards the market, but not further.
We would also like it to be very clean, obviously air-conditioned and with good facilities such as microwave etc for heating up dinners.  Somewhere safe to park a car would also be good (see below)

Finally it may just be the two of us plus Jocelyn, but my wife's parents may also come with us so I also need to look at options for 4 plus Jocelyn. 

Can any recommend from personal experience a villa or apartment which sleeps either 2 or 4?  I have looked through Owner’s Direct but it is often difficult to tell if it is suitable.  If it is against forum rules to post recommendations publically, then I apologise in advance and please pm me instead.

We would like to stay for 10/11 nights so this may affect the accommodation if we have to rent for full weeks?

Obviously if the accommodation can also supply a cot then that’s even better!

3.  Car Hire

We need to decide between getting a private airport transfer and then hiring a car for a few days when in Kalkan or hiring a car for the full duration of our stay.  We had a bad experience in our last private transfer and safety for my daughter will be the most important.  Can any recommend a good hire company with modern reliable cars, good insurance cover and of course baby seats!

4.  Baby essentials

Due to the luggage restrictions and the high cost of excess baggage, we will prefer to buy as much in Kalkan as possible (and support the local shops).  I have read about the Kalkan Concierge which will be great for the high chair and cot, but are there anything things we should definitely bring with us.  I realise brands may not be entirely the same, but that doesn’t really bother us (with the exception of her milk and we use aptimal).

5.  Restaurants

We saw first hand last year in Dalyan how much the Turkish love babies and children so that doesn’t bother me, the only question I have is whether highchairs are available in most restaurants and if Jocelyn will be welcome in most restaurants?

If you have made it this far, then thank you for taking the time to  read this and any help or advice that can be given would greatly appreciated by Lynn, Jocelyn and I.  The other factor we unfortunately have to consider is money.  With Lynn being off work we have to try to save a few pennies where we can (don't we all!)

Many thanks
Darren

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8810.0

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Please help with next year's holiday!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 05:40:01 PM »
I can only answer 2 of your points but, I feel sure, other members will be able to point you in the right direction for the rest.

1) End of May and early June are usually sunny and around 25 - 30C. Mosqitos are less of a problem the last couple of years and I didn't get bitten once this year by the little black flies. (Normally it's once every five minutes.)

2) Just do a search on this site and you will find several firms being discussed and recommended, be they at Dalaman or in Kalkan. Personally, for a safe and reliable transfer, I always use Abi travel. However, when you consider how much a return transfer will cost (£110) it would be more economical to drive yourself. Just expect everyone else on the road to do something silly. Car parking is generally safe anywhere in Kalkan. Take reasonable precautions, not to leave items on show & etc, and you will have no trouble.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 06:56:14 PM »
Thanks BubblesG.  Appreciate you taking the time to reply.  I will do a search for car hire companies.

Just found out it is unlikely the inlaws will be travelling with us and we have spend the whole afternoon searching for property.  There is so much!  What we have decided is that we would like to be as close to the old town as possible so we can pop and in out as needed without have to trek 15 or 20 mins, so we are looking for a 1/2 bed apartment with easy access to a pool (preferable on the same level).

I have been looking at the Truffle Residences as I remembered them from looking in 2010 and they look amazing but may be slightly over budget :(  based on the cost of flights.  I'm not sure how expensive it is for flights from England but from N Ireland flying out mid-May and back end May, the cost for my wife, Joss and I is £750 with 20kg luggage allowance.  We priced September as an alternative and it was £800.   That leaves us with around £300-350 per week for accommodation although we could stretch that for the perfect property and Truffle Residence was certainly ideal in terms of location/style.

I have seen Mediterranean apartments mentioned in a few threads, could someone send me a link?

All suggestions (or financial contributions!!) very very welcome!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
We've stayed at both Truffle and the Mediterranean apartments and both would be great, as you can get into town really easily. I've sent you a pm with a link to a one bedroomed apartment where we stayed this year....hope it helps.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:44:34 PM »
Hi dshiels,
As others have said, from experience I would have thought something on the level, very central, such as The Mediterannean Apartments would be ideal. We stayed in a 2-story apartment last year, and although you would have to carry the buggy up some steps, inside you have a bedroom on the upper level  (it was twin beds, though) . This bedroom had more than enough space for a cot.  There was also a two bedroom apartment at pool level, which would mean you would have no steps to climb. And plenty of car parking right oputrside the complex.

I will reply to your pm and attach a link.

Also, the Hanin Apartments are fairly central and although I have not seen them myself, we have friends who go there every year.

I'm not sure if the Hotel Asiyan is for adults only, but some frfends took a suite there, so they could take their parents along and had a fabulous time, enjoying the gardens and lawn. Their parents had to have easy Town access,  on the flat.....

All the best,

Antler

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
Thanks to everyone so far who has messaged me with suggestions.  I won't pm you all back individually so please accept this as message as my appreciation.

It will certainly help with my short list and I can start contacting owners next week once we narrow it down to two our three and when Lynn's folks confirm if they are coming or not, if there aren't is anyone free for a spot of babysitting at the end of May next year?

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »
Can I also just say that when we planned ur trip to Dalyan last summer I really missed having a forum like this for questions and information.

It really is an invaluable source of information and I have no doubt that it has been one of the reasons behind Kalkan's increasing popularity so thanks to all the regular posters and of course moderators who keep everything running smoothly.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »
Glad you found us :)

As you say, our members and moderators make this site what it is :)

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »
Korsan apartments would be well worth you having a look at.  Location can't be beaten!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »
ah yes....the Korsan as well, could recommend those as well

Offline lindylou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
We stayed in a poolside apartment attached to Nur Hotel. Spotlessly clean and comfy although a little bland. Nice pool and not too far to walk into town. We holidayed  in Dalyan with an 8 month old baby and found the choice of baby food in jars very limited. Don't know if it would also be a problem in Kalkan.

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 10:29:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help.  I think we have got accommdoation sorted.

We now just need to decide between renting a car for the duration or taking transfers and then hiring locally for a few days

Thanks Lindylou.  From reading a few threads on here I think there is a decent range of baby foods, although we would like to try and make our own from fresh vegetables etc as much as possible.

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
I expect you already know, but just in case you don't, a transfer is around £110 and a car for a week from Dalaman is around £160 plus petrol. You would have no taxi or bus fares. If you did your own excursions you would be quids in.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
If you don't want to drive to and from the airport many car rental companies in Kalkan will hire you a car for the duration of your holiday and provide you with a driver to drive you to and from the airport.  The cost for the driver is approx £30 - so inc car hire around £200 for the week.  I do this each time I go to Kalkan and find it is the best of both worlds - independence when I'm there without the worry of driving after a 4 hour plane journey. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sorry, no Kalkan Holiday Report this year.....

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2014, 06:24:10 AM
by antler
xx
Another year, another brilliant Kalkan holiday

Started by JenJen on Holiday Reports and Reviews

19 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 07:46:41 AM
by JenJen
xx
holiday Report 2 weeks with 10 and 11 year old in Villa

Started by jstjdsunshine on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 09:43:00 PM
by Chucky
smiley
***Apartment available for holiday rentals all year round.***

Started by mahmut on Accommodation and Hotels

0 Replies
Last post September 23, 2018, 08:43:15 PM
by mahmut

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan

Views: 2982
By: tramline
Mediteran Goodbyes 2