Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Are you a happy renter..........  (Read 7909 times)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Are you a happy renter..........
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:17:30 AM »
Hi,   Its always good to know what your customer wants / expects from their accomadation / holiday home,    So I was thinking.....

....what are the most annoying things villa / appartment 'renters' ( holiday makers ) have to contend with / feel let down about their accomadation....... ???

IE..............

*    Mis-information...... walk into town, local shops, size of property, veiw's etc ?
*    Location ? (hills, high up etc)
*    Mis-leading photos, write up ?
*    Underequipped villa / appartment ?
*    Management standards...... cleaning, support,  24 hour service, information etc  ?
*    Condition of property ?
*    Lack of / crap, small wecome pack ?
*    Water, power cuts ?
*    Noise ?
*    Overlooked ?

Etc, etc, etc................. ??? 8) ???

All comments welcome, walts an' all please  :o :o :o      ( While - from my experience -  by far most renters I have spoken too are on the whole more than happy with their accomadation, I have heard all the above - complaints - from holidaymakers in the past, so just thought it would make an interesting thread, and good to hear from the people we rent too and their needs /  complaints. It also helps to keep the standards up, after all...........this is Kalkan you know  ::) :angel: ??? )

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8422.0
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Are you a happy renter..........
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
Well, I must have been very lucky as there isn't much from the above list that I can really mention, the water cuts were a complete pain, especially as they came without warning and with no info as to when supplies would return. Hardly the villa owners fault and outside anyone's control. We had just one villa where there was nothing in terms of a welcome pack when we arrived just before midnight, not even a bottle of water!A bit inconvenient but nothing more than that, as fortunately we knew where the shops were and could nip out to get what we needed.

We have been visiting Kalkan for 10 years and for the last five or six (I've lost count) have been twice a year. As we now know the town very well it is easy to assess the location of villas when researching where we want to stay, so that is not an issue. All the properties we have rented have at least met, and more often than not, exceeded our expectations.

So, NO COMPLAINTS from me I'm glad to say! ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:02:32 AM by jofoss »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »
Arriving late at night to find no toilet paper,but saying that enough  should be supplied till you can get to the shops whatever the time you arrive....and lights not working because bulbs have blown,this year our management man went awol and was as much good as an ashtray on a motorbike..as serial renters we know that this person can make or break the enjoment of a stay. 9 days out of 14 no water and had taken the key to the roof and reserve tank so we couldn't even get it filled ourselves  :-\

however he did appear the day we left for his tip i assume..he got one "don't eat yellow snow"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:09:38 AM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
Hi Jofoss,

Glad to hear you have been so pleased with your accomdation over the years, as I said in my post, most people I have spoken to feel the same.   I am just interested to hear what other people think ? . You did raise one point that reminded me of another question I had regarding renting, the water cuts, we all know that this has nothing to do with the owner and that he/she has no control over the water supply..........but, when there have been cuts while you have been on holiday has the management team warned you about the cut in advance ? (if possible, KTLN do give out advanced warnings if they are told / find out, I accept not always, it can just be cut without any warning ) and / or offered to organise a water delivery ? (if there is a reserve tank at the property )

Cheers.

Blue lizard.... No bog paper..........now that is taking the pi**  :o 8) :o

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
Hi KD,

You make a good point above regarding management teams and what they might be expected to do. Unfortunately no, the management team did not advise us of the water cuts, in fact we only saw the person once during our stay, and that was to collect the transfer money! Thinking about it now, we would very much have appreciated 1) a warning and 2) the offer of water delivery (we had no back-up tank, but even assistance wth large bottles would have helped). We tend to be quite self-sufficient and just get on with it, not too difficult for just the two of us. I can only imagine how difficult things could have been for a family with kids though. We do have access to KTLN while we are away, however even they could not predict/advise when water would be available again!!

One of the most important things I feel is that if there is a known problem (with water or anything else) then the owner should advise renters of what to expect in advance of their arrival. Not sure that this is always the case. :(

Jo

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »
I agree with the above posts, the place we rented last year had quite a few repairs which needed fixing when we arrived, the managing agent wasn't exactly in a hurry when we contacted him. Even when our toilet was leaking (ugh!) he was in no hurry. We contacted the owner on our return and he was also very disinterested. Could not recommend this place but our previous rentals have been brilliant.....and I have high hopes for October.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »
We always (if we know of course) let people know if there is going to be a water cut.  We also offer to arrange a water delivery, or do the best we can to arrange this  8)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »
We all know that certain things are beyond the control of owners..like water cuts etc..but when an owners property has a reserve tank and pays a management person to deal with things these are important issues ..especially as what some owners pay for service they get :o  (we were willing to pay for our delivery i may add)...but the owners we have met have been very nice and are to some extent in the hands of the management person they hire..... if you don't know you can't rectify,but we won't be going back to the one we stayed in this year :-\

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »
All good feed back, thanks.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »
We've always been very lucky and well looked after except once when we arrived in a taxi late at night, provided by the travel company, and the taxi man didn't know where the house was.  The rep had to walk past the moonlight bar at 1am in her pyjamas - just desserts I say!! BL - your experience sounds sh1t - not surprised you're not going back. Better luck next time.   ::) :o

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 12:44:49 AM »
We are happy serial renters, on the whole (hope I haven't spoken too soon) ::)
I take ages to choose where we stay and location and view are quite important to us for our main stay of the year. Sometimes we're lucky enough to visit more than once a year and our second trip is usually dominated by price - I will go for the cheapest deal I can get ;) Like BL, we've arrived late at night to find no loo paper - I find that incredibly poor >:( >:( The same venue wasn't cleaned once or linen changed during our 12 day stay - I ended up taking all the bed sheets off and washing them myself. This has been our only bad experience so far, though, so its not a bad average.
I always ask if a welcome pack is included, particularly if we are arriving in the early hours as water is essential for me. One thing I really appreciate is the inclusion of pool towels, saves so much space/weight in the case and one place we stayed (No2 Komurluk Apartments) had lovely mini toiletries in the welcome pack.
On our recent visit, complimentary tea and coffee was a nice touch - although we found the manager a bit lazy as she never once came over to check if things were ok during our 3 week stay - we made the owner aware - she then tried to turf us out early even though we'd paid an extra day to avoid just that..grrr!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 07:26:16 AM »
Really interesting comments, thanks.     This is a great thread for 'owners' that rent their property....its good to read / hear, what 'renter's' want / expect / need from their rented holiday property.

So............... What is the most annoying thing -to you- that your rented property 'does not have' ?   
................... What are the most inportant thing's you look for in your rented property ?
................... How can renters improve what they offer ?
................... The No.1 thing you look for when deciding what villa / apartment to rent ?
................... And anything else you can think of  ??? ::) ???

Cheers.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 08:57:19 AM »
Hi Cosetta,

Thats fine, and I have planty of stories to tell regarding what you have said  8)..............but its not what I'm asking  ???.     Maybe you should start another thread  ???

Please dont take offence as none is intended  :angel:

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 08:59:33 AM »
No welcome pack (water, loo roll, basics) is a real turn off. >:(
Hard beds >:( >:(
I know that hard beds/mattresses last longer, we tried every bed in a villa last year trying to find one that dented even a little on entry ;D
To be fair though we have been lucky with most of our renting.
Key is the on site management though, very little the owner can do if in the UK.
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline Zorba the Geek

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
Our group stayed in Villa Lycia owned by Olive tree apartments, Maybe I shouldn't mention them by name but as I have only good things to say about them maybe it's alright. We found the villa, service, Well, everything just perfect to be honest. We have booked again to return late September.The only thing that niggled me which the owner isn't probably aware of is that on the last day, The cleaning staff layed out lots of silk ware and embroidery around the apartment with the aim of selling it to us. The same stuff which you can get in the market but with a 20% mark up. It was all a bit embarrassing realy as we had allready placed generous tips in envelopes for every staff member including the pool man.
The wife asked them to pack it all away as we did not want to buy it and I think that they fealt a little guilty after they opened their envelops as they left us some little gifts later. This happened four years ago and maybe it does not still happen. When we arrive in September I will ask the local property manager if this can be avoided as we do tip rather well and would prefer to avoid the embarrassment of telling the staff who we got to know quite well to take their stuff away.

On a brighter note,,,,,,, Only 30 days to go  WHOOP WHOOP  ;D

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »
Hi ZtG,

How odd..... And I thought I had heard most stories.....  Amazing  :o 8)  :o

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »
As we normally cook or prepare at least one meal a day a well equipped kitchen is good. Decent chopping knives, garlic crusher, enough pans, proper oven and hob, enough crocks etc.
Access to a swimming pool is essential when looking for a place - preferably big enough to do more than just plunge.
Ideally a sea view - some gardens are enclosed so you can't see the sea!
Near town and not too many hills - essential for me as I live in a flat place and get calf ache- also dodgy hips!! Don't like driving abroad.
Washing machine is good so that you can limit the stuff you take with you.
Some sort of outside space whether balcony or pref garden.
At least one loo roll and a bottle of water essential but a good welcome pack is always a bonus.  One place left us a bottle of wine which was fab after a long journey arriving late.  As most flights seem to arrive late tea and coffee good to wake up to before the supermarket hike.
Cleanliness important too.
That's about it!

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
I suppose one of the best ways of enjoying a good experience is by joining this group and reading the blogs. When we first came to Kalkan we chose a villa and have been incredibly lucky in that it is always fantastic. The man who manages it is very polite, nothing is ever too much trouble and he keeps the place spotless. He looks after 4 on site and spends a heap of time cleaning. Every evening he maticlulously puts the sunloungers around the pool back in line (i mean in line) and cleans everything. We had a faulty door catch on the loo and he replaced it with a new one in 5 minutes. (saying it was made in bloody china). The owners, who we have never met, are always pleased to hear from us and say that 90% of their customers are regulars. In a nutshell......if you are being given 5 star service and you love the place .....stay with what you know. We hope that the water problems and virus's are things of the past and that we can enjoy our holiday of quiet, swimming, reading and good food and drink. Pure stress free pleasure and only a few days to wait. Thanks to all you owners who allow us gealous people to share your wonderful villas, and care enough to make our experience memorable.

Offline ladybird

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »
Hi,have rented 3 times in kalkan and have been happy each time as have received a welcome pack which have all contained the usual bread,milk,water,butter,cheese and a bottle of wine  :)

The first villa we rented was perfect other than a bit too much personal clutter from the owners,ie hair accessories,medicines and general bits and bobs in baskets around the villa.

The villa we have just returned from could have done with a lot more shade! The umbrellas had to be moved back and forth from the loungers to the eating area,I know that makes us sound lazy but they were very heavy and in the heat it was hard work.We also had an issue with the interior doors sticking,they were hard to open and close,so much so that my daughter got stuck a couple of times in the bathroom and we had to resort to using a suitcase to keep the door of our bedroom shut, we just put up with it,I guess we could have told the pool man who visited? There were other niggly things but nothing that could spoil your holiday,the wonderful spacious pool area and uninterrupted views more that made up for any minor things!  :D

If I were to book another villa I would look for a permanently covered eating area.

If it were possible as the pool men visit in the early morning could they bring a loaf of bread with them,I think this would be a nice touch,just an idea!!

Cant wait to go back!

Ladybird

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
This is an excellent thread. Very informative for people either thinking of renting their property or if they rent already. Thanks everyone for your informative feedback.  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Happy

Started by popps on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 08:32:23 PM
by foreverkalkan
xx
HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Started by sally on The Everything Else Area!

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 10:33:39 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Happy Easter

Started by yelkenite on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 08:25:48 PM
by BevJam
xx
Happy Hotel

Started by popps on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 02:35:38 PM
by JW

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal