Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Should not have worried  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Trotter

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Should not have worried
« on: July 16, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »
We returned a few days ago from our 3rd holiday, spread over 6 years, in Kalkan and having visted this website continuously for most of that time, I decided it was time to make a contribution, little though it is.
Reading the concerns about dogs and discussions about whether Kalkan had changed for the worse then you do wonder but as soon as we glimpsed Kalkan, lying waiting in the sunshine, from the road above we knew all would be well. This feeling was confirmed and enhanced as drove down the town past places we remembered to arrive at the Meldi Hotel. And for anyone booked into the Meldi for the first time we experienced a warm welcome, lovely people-both staff and guests- a good room with sea view and good fresh food-a gem.
The only problem we encountered was that it was a bit hot for us so we did not get out and about as much as usual but the Meldi has a lovely pool and we made good use of it to keep cool. We have previously visited at the end of September\early October when it was a little cooler (only 28-30!) and this probably suits us better.
We did eat out some lunchtimes and every evening and did not encounter a bad meal with special mention to the Cafe Zula ( some of the best fillet steak we have had in Kalkan, which is quite a few), the Merkez for the special Merkez chicken and an oven cooked sea bass with all the trimmings ( this was ONLY 20TL) and to Chillies for wonderful Pide.
As for the previously mentioned concerns the only dogs we met were either asleep or did not bother us except for little fuss and although Kalkan has changed over the time we have visited it is still a lovely village, with a uniique atmosphere set in a beautiful area.
My wife and I do travel elsewhere but the thought of a day out in or around Kalkan, good food and a stroll around the harbour in the evening followed by drink or two at the Moonlight Bar while watching the world goes by dragged us back.
It won't be the last time.
And I did not even mention Efes!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8183.0

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Should not have worried
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »
Lovely report Trotter, thanks, it was great to be there by proxy, so to speak!
 Glad you had a good time too.
Who is the Meldi booked through?
I'm missing my Kalkan fix in 2011, as we've been to Kefalonia twice this year and are going again in October. DEFINITELY doing Kalkan in 2012 though!
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
I am so glad you had a great holiday and didnt let a small number of very vocal scare mongers put you off.
I enjoyed your report very much.Thank you for taking the trouble to share your holiday memories with us.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
Kefgirl - The Meldi hotel used to be with Tapestry and is now bookable direct - www.meldihotel.com - I (and many others on this forum) can agree with Trotter - it is an absolutely fab place with great staff, owner, guests and food in a great location and good prices....if you are after a hotel holiday - this is amongst the best.  You book your own flights and book directly with Fatih or Halil at the Meldi (they speak excellent english) and if you book for 7 days or more - they throw in the transfer costs.

Enjoy!

PS - Please note -  I have NO financial interest in the Meldi - just a previous satisfied guest who continues to make use of their facilities. bar and restaurant.
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
Dear Trotter - a lovely post  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline deepasforever1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »
It sounds as if you had a lovely time.  This is just the sort of post that makes me glad I'm off to Kalkan - next week!  We've only been once before and so are very keen to hear about great places to go.  I can see I'll need to put Merket, Chillies and Cafe Zula on the list... can't wait!  Thank you Trotter:)

Offline spottydog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »
 what a joy to read your great post !!!  Thank you xxxxxxxxxxxx ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 08:03:07 AM »
We too have just  returned from Kalkan and The Meldi. got to agee with everything  Trotter said.

We also found the weather to be too hot towards the end and even the parasols did not  keep the heat off us. We then come back and now freezing cold,,,,bever satisfied!

No problem with dogs, all of them we saw were on their best behaviour!!!!

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »
[quote author=Kefgirl link=topic=8183.msg55582#msg55582 date=13108446
I'm missing my Kalkan fix in 2011, as we've been to Kefalonia twice this year and are going again in October. DEFINITELY doing Kalkan in 2012 though!
[/quote]
I think I have asked this before, but where do you stay in Kefalonia?

Chris and Allan.
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »

We also found the weather to be too hot towards the end and even the parasols did not  keep the heat off us. We then come back and now freezing cold,,,,bever satisfied!

I know which I would prefer!!  ;) ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »
Totally agree! The UK weather has been dreadful since we got back and I am still feeling cold,

Our hotel was fully booked this year but in town it was pretty quiet especially down at the harbour, On our last night we went to The Papparazzi and was the only customers there, Not sure if it was because of the heat that people did not want to walk too far, The stretch by Olive Gardens seemed quite busy though.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »
Great report Trotter! Can't wait for next year to get back out there, especially with the weather being as it is here at the moment!! Think we'll have to put Merkez on the list for next year also, we also enjoyed Cafe Zula and Chillies when we were there in June.
Nicky

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
Thanks Felicity for the info-very helpful  :)
AllanChris, we stay in Lourdas in the Livathos area, it's in the South of the Island. Very small and quiet, we usually see the same people there each time. It's one of those places that call you back. We've been all over the Island, but for us, nothing is as magical as our beloved Lourdas (also sometimes called Lourdata.)

Offline Trotter

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »
Who is the Meldi booked through?

Hi Kefgirl, thanks for your kind words.
As Felicity says you can book direct and airport transfers are included in the price but we actually arrived by boat at Marmaris. I had previously e mailed Hamil at the Meldi who said that he could arrange to collect us from the port and deliver us to Dalaman at the end of our stay. There was a small charge due to the extra mileage incurred.
Everything went really well and my wife said that the smile stayed on my face from Marmaris to Kalkan -2.5 hours.
The hotel also laid on a trip-FOC- to Kekova for some guests.
I am now going to try and think of some negative things to say about the Meldi as we want to stay there again and they may be filling up.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
LOL Trotter - think you will struggle to find something negative to say about the Meldi  ;) ;) ;D

Oooh - I've thought of something - the tiles round the pool are WAY too hot to walk on...think they should lay water cooled tiles to keep guests happy..!!  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline Trotter

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
LOL Trotter - think you will struggle to find something negative to say about the Meldi  ;) ;) ;D

Oooh - I've thought of something - the tiles round the pool are WAY too hot to walk on...think they should lay water cooled tiles to keep guests happy..!!  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant felicity-I will e mail Halil immediateley, book 2 weeks next september and demand a 15% reduction but don't tell  as it may spoil it! >:D ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »
Great report, Trotter, thanks for sharing. Its good to know after an absence, Kalkan is still charming and unique.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline JanB

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »
Really good to hear as I am off to the Meldi for the first time on 22 July!  I don't mind how hot it is ...  Glad you enjoyed your holidays.

JanB

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 11:57:04 PM »
Thanks Felicity for the info-very helpful  :)
AllanChris, we stay in Lourdas in the Livathos area, it's in the South of the Island. Very small and quiet, we usually see the same people there each time. It's one of those places that call you back. We've been all over the Island, but for us, nothing is as magical as our beloved Lourdas (also sometimes called Lourdata.)
Yes of course I remember now. I did ask you where you stayed before, and I said I stayed in Lourdas at The Lara Hotel. Guess my brain cells are dying at an increasing rate.  :o
                                                          Cheers, Chris and Allan.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bit worried

Started by LizS on General Discussion

17 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 03:14:55 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal