Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Optician, Kalkan (Goz Optician)  (Read 12255 times)

Offline dozza

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Optician, Kalkan (Goz Optician)
« on: June 29, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »
We went to see Barbaros the Optician on Tuesday 14th June, we chose frames, settled the price and went with him to Fethiye for an eye test.  Our specs were ready on Friday 19th June and we are very happy with them.

Barbaros is a very nice, enthusiastic young man who provided us with a service far and above anything that we could have had in the UK, and his prices were also much better than UK prices!

He really deserves to do well in Kalkan and the more people that support his business the better it will be.

We will be doing business with him again on our next visit.

Dozza   

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8068.0

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:30:26 PM »
Tuesday 14th June? . . . . Friday 19th June? Hmmm.
    what sort of specs, varifocals, single vision? and what price?
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:11:05 PM »
What an informative and timely (2nd) post! Thank you so much. I've been needing some new gigs for ages and will def get them while I'm on my hols. Cheers dozza
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:40:48 AM »
Me and the OH have brought new glasses from Barbaros, great service and price, would deaf use again.  8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »
I think the prices, quality and choice would have to be good to make up for having to take time out of your holiday to go to Fethiye and back for an eye test.

Offline The Treets

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »

If you take your UK eye test results with you they will use that.

M

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Re: Re: Optician, Kalkan (Goz Optician)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 01:42:25 PM »
Kalkan Magic, I agree with your comments, but would like to add that the opticians in Fethyie are second to none.  I know some people salivate over handbags, my vice is designer spec. frames (sad bunny, I can hear you say!).  I am slightly at a loss as to how Kalkan has an opticians, but one has to go to Fethyie for eye test.  They should be able to read your prescription from exisiting glasses, they take them and read on a machine.  I had the most amazing, prescription lens sunglasses made in Fethyie in 2 days at the cost of £140.00.  Price of one lens (varifocal) here in the UK!

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
Ha, yes, it's a good service to have if you can take an up to date prescription from the UK. And of course if you have any problems with broken glasses or anything whilst you're in Kalkan which is always a possibility...

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »
For someone who has to pay in the region of £500 in the UK, every 2 years for just one pair of specs, nothing special but a difficult perscription, I can save approx £250 when getting them done in Turkey, now I think that is worth putting myself out to go to Fethiye a couple of times, waiting 4-5 days because of the difficult perscription.  I do take my scipt with me.

And no I can't get them done at Spec Savers.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:09:03 PM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline dozza

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying to you all.
Neither of us had our UK prescriptions with us and my husband only had his reading glasses with him. I only take an old pair of reading glasses with me on holiday (non-prescription) so we did not have anything he could work with and had to have a proper eye test.  He has another shop in Fethiye but uses a private Optometrist there which is why we had to go to Fethiye.
I had a new pair of Silhouette reading glasses and a pair of reading sunglasses made and my husband had a pair of sunglasses for distance vision made.  We did not expect to be able to get new specs in Kalkan (this is the first time that we have seen an Optician's shop in Kalkan after five holidays there) and did not take our UK prescriptions. If we had known that we were likely to buy new specs we would have taken them with us.  However we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and did not find the excursion to Fethiye intrusive on our holiday, in fact it was a nice change from sunbathing!
We consider that for the quality of the goods and service that we received the price we paid was well worth it and we would not have had the same satisfaction (and enjoyable experience) if we had bought our specs in the UK and paid significantly more for them.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »
Good post Dozza  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »
We went to see Barbaros the Optician on Tuesday 14th June, we chose frames, settled the price and went with him to Fethiye for an eye test.  Our specs were ready on Friday 19th June and we are very happy with them.

Barbaros is a very nice, enthusiastic young man who provided us with a service far and above anything that we could have had in the UK, and his prices were also much better than UK prices!

He really deserves to do well in Kalkan and the more people that support his business the better it will be.
 This is a quote from soemone last year about the optician.
We will be doing business with him again on our next visit.

Dozza

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »
If you wear specs for what ever reason it really is always a good idea to carry your perscription with you when visiting Turkey just in case you require a new pair.  Not only is is so much cheaper, your choice of frames is larger & the service so much better & quicker.  I have a very complicated perscription & also very expensive one in the UK, not much I can do about it, so many years ago having been recommended opticians in Fethiye I now get my eyes tested in UK, as I can free now, & get my specs in Turkey - my savings range from £200-250 or just take an old favourite frame & have new lenses put in.  I often wonder how they in the UK can warrant their prices, eg to replace one arm on my spec's cost me £55 earlier this year - the excuse, they had to send abroad for it & then fit it, there was only one little screw !!!!!!!!!! ::)

Also you can have new spec's by just letting the technicians have your spec's they can then read the script & you can have a new pair.   

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 07:15:45 PM »
We were admiring the frames in his window in May, he welcomed us in. He took my wife's glasses and tested them, said they were a couple of years old so gave her an eye test and said her eyes had deteriorated a little bit from her last prescription and possibly she may soon need distance ones soon which without prompting from her was what the optician she'd seen over here said. While she was choosing her frames it was my turn, and although mine were a year old he suggested upping the prescription a little to save me having to buy a new pair next year at home. I had a real hankering for a pair of John Lennon style round ones and found a nice pair of Tommy Hilfiger ones. Oh dear I thought expecting a big bill, I normally go to Specsavers for a buy one get one cheaper, my wife normally spends big on fancy frames at Boots, what a surprise when the bill came to £300 for both our reading glasses & £90 for her distance ones. Both her pairs are rimless so he used toughened material so could be drilled, scratch resistant , anti glare etc. Mine are toughened, anti glare, scratch resistant with reaction lens. We did all this on the Sunday and picked them up on the Wednesday, he did the full checks that they sat right etc. A great service at a fraction of Uk price, we will thoroughly recommend him. Only problem is we'll have to come back in May 2014 for our next eye test.
My wife has had nothing but compliments about her stylish glasses.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:46:14 AM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
Re: Re: Optician, Kalkan (Goz Optician)
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »
My wife bought a pair from Barbaros last year, only paying slightly less than she would in UK. But then, she does have varifocal, ultra thin lenses, and transitions with a strong prescription. Unfortunately the transition coating started to peel off almost as soon as we got home and, of course he wasn't there over Xmas/New Year.
To his credit, when we did make him aware of this fault, he took the glasses and did the lenses again, (we think) and, aside from the transition being not so dark now, seems to have made a good job of it this time.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline bankieken

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
Does anyone have an email address for Barbaros at Goz Optician?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Optician

Started by Ahsap Man on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 09:10:44 AM
by suziq
xx
Optician

Started by Cosetta on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 06:11:27 PM
by Haybo
xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal